LX SU47 twin 70mm build - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
LX SU47 twin 70mm build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Fall weather means less flying and the start of another model. The LX SU47 is a good fit for our fleet since it will use the same power setup as our FW ME262 and the same batteries as most of our other jets.
http://www.lxhm.us/En/Product/detail/id/15.html
Purchased in kit version from findhobby it was delivered in less than a week. The CS 12 blade fans with Cyclone Power 2000kv outrunners came from Hobby Paradise. I dynamically balanced them earlier this year in the same way the A10 fans were done. Here is the data on these fans.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...=Cyclone+power
The YEP 80amp ESCs and other electronics like hinges, servoless retracts, gear legs, electric brakes servos and BEC came from Hobbyking.
The plane is EPS and is very fragile so reinforcements are necessary. To start we added two long hardwood dowels running along the belly into the nose glued in with PU glue. The small canopy opening is also being enlarged to make battery placement easier. The aft part of the battery compartment was cut away and the sides widened to accept our Gens Ace 6S 25C 5500mah packs.
When fitting the fans we had to open up the hatch further aft so some material was cut from the fuselage and glued to the hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	738890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su47_Lanxiang_02.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	738898   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8351160-203-image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	738954   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8351161-4-image-2d547d5e.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	738962  

Name:	a8351162-18-image-53c6630b.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	729.4 KB
ID:	738970   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8351163-107-image-e4555ab5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	738978   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8351164-159-image-518de40a.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	766.9 KB
ID:	738986  

Last edited by 4stripes; 10-20-2015 at 11:00 AM.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Re: LX SU47 twin 70mm build

Some video of the stock setup.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVujtuAvwBo
Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Full scale video with some views of thrust vectoring and control surface movement.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16YbQs...irstySiKaX3vwB
This original version of same video is a little clearer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wXsygQTVA

Last edited by 4stripes; 10-21-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
SARPLT
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: MartinZ
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

Looks like a interesting project Eric. Given the aircraft design with the forward swept wings, I am interested to see what you are going to do to add additional strenght to the wings. I expect there will be significant stress put on them with this design. This model might be a good candidate for a stabilization system. Keep us posted.

Marty
SARPLT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7

Hi Eric, I purchased the same kit from Banana Hobby last year and never got around to even start it, but brought it with me to California this year, to put together and have something "different" to fly. Will watch your thread with great interest. The demo video from Banana Hobby showed that it did fly pretty nice, however, those plastic retracts and struts leave a lot to be desired. I have a set of metal electric retracts for it and the Change Sun EDF units. Good luck with the build, I hope to see a lot of pictures
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The more I look at this foamie, the less I like it. Too much crammed into to small an airframe for my liking. The wings get glued into place and then insert two very small spar stubs, really...are they kidding. The landing gear is plastic and aluminum tubing. Just how robust is that.
I figure with two 70 EDF's, a big battery and more servos than I care to count, I think this model will make a nice ceiling hanger at the moment. I think a twin 64 mm and lighter batteries with no retracts or landing gear would make this an more fun model. They have huge cheater holds in the bottom, great for hand launching.
Might re-motor the 70 mm EDF's with Mega motors, a lot less power but a lot lighter setups using a 3 cell setup.
At least these are my thoughts Eric, good luck on your build, I will certainly follow it.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Weak design is nothing new for LX models but thankfully foam is nice to work with and CF is plentiful these days.
The A10 was no different yet with some strengthening is easily one of my favorite models.
Can't wait to find time and finish the SU47 but FW models keep popping up!
Not complaining though as too many models isn't really a problem at all (or is it?).
Old 12-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

We have decided to start with the factory CG which is 20mm behind where the wing LE meets the fuselage. With this in mind the main landing gear retracts are mounted as far forward in the kit openings as possible and will swing aft. A small compromise from scale but saves extensive reworking of the openings. We are using the medium sized servoless retracts with alloy legs from HK and Lander electric brakes. The wheel size looks pretty reasonable and the body angle looks decent too. The retract mounting plates had to be removed and new ones screwed to the other side of each retract to allow easy attachment to plywood plates glued into each gear bay. I have some spare retract mounting plates from some large retracts which were re-drilled to match the medium size. Nose wheel steering is via pushrod and the door controlled by a fishing line to save using a sequencer. That fishing line linkage kept us busy for a couple hours but works well now. The supplied thrust vector nozzles are really long so we will substitute some FW nozzles that would be common to their SU34. The flight controls will consist of typical elevators, ailerons, canards (slaved to the elevators), flaps, rudders, thrust vector nozzles with full 360 vectoring and electric brakes. Just one too many functions for my 8CH RX unless I use some servo mixers from the elevators, ailerons to control the TV nozzles. This will leave me a channel for flaps and another for brakes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a8520332-190-20151216_174446.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	779514   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8520336-79-20151216_174423.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	779522   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8520333-108-20151216_174257.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	779530   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8520337-211-20151216_174438.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	779538  

Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Hi Eric,
What part number are the HK retracts, I just might have a set with me. I'll be following your build closely and assembling mine at the same time. I will be moving my twin ESC up forward and cutting into the partition that separates the two intake ducts. Mount them in the partition so both sides of the ESC's will be exposed to the incoming airflow, but not sticking to far into the air flow. I do not like really long wires going from the battery to the ESC.

John

Oh, those new 70 mm fans arrived from X-Flight yesterday, 14 bladed impeller. They look pretty darn nice and the blades appear quite robust. Balancing the impeller was a breeze as well, just a little bit of glue and it balanced perfectly. The Dr Mad Thrust (aka: RC Lander) motor slipped into position nicely. I think I will wrap one or two narrow layers of aluminum duct tape around the motor to take up any clearance so the motor fits snugly. It's a long motor so the support will lessen the strain on the mounting section. I bought three of these fans.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Almost forgot, why are you repositioning the main gear? The video of it in Banana Hobby's website showed it taking off fairly smoothly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.