MAAC memebership renewal online secure? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Ya worried?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
If you are worried about whether this is a safe way to deal on the internet......think of this.... the internet uses the SAME encryption code as banks.......128 bit. If you think that the internet is UNSAFE, then the ATM you use is unsafe also. To test the 128 bit encryption, they gave 40 crack hackers a computer and linked them up to crack a bank code. After one month of working "together", they got through only 35% of the code. long as the "lock appears, just use it and stop worrying.
I do all my banking online and have no fear whatsoever. In fact.........the ATM is less safer due to the fact that someone "may" be looking over your shoulder to see your PIN. The only " BAD" factor here is if the place you order from is "illegitimate" and not keep the numbers in confidentiality. That, noone can guarantee, yet, if they decide to do something "illegal" with your card number. you're only responsible for the first $50.( most cards). Jim McIntyre can confirm this as he works for a bank. As for's a good deal to join online and worry not.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #12
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

Total Props: 0
Just reading on the CIBC site about registering your visa card for internet banking. I believe it is part of online banking. Firms register as members of this system and your card is recognised as having been registered. When you have selected to pay by visa you are presented with an additional window to enter a PIN number for your visa card. It's abit like a debit card. A crook could not use your visa number because he would also need the PIN #.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #13
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

I should have put this in in the first place.

Once you register, the Verified by Visa process is quite simple. After you have clicked on "checkout" to purchase the items in your cart at a participating merchant site, and given all your billing information:

Your card will automatically be recognized
You'll be asked to enter your Verified by Visa password
Once the password is validated, your purchase will continue

This was taken from the CIBC site. I assume MAAC could be a registered site for this service.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

again just for clarity.

1. SSL Security Socket Layer with Cdn Banks mandates a 128 bit encryption on the TRANSMISSION of your data. This is the layer between your web browser on your computer and the MAAC file server. It has been the standard with Canadian Banks the last 2 years and stops the bad guys from evesdropping during this session between these two points.

Once the data is on the MAAC server, this SSL security is no longer in place and the data is in the clear. Other measures are required to protect your data (storage encryption, firewalls etc etc). That being said, even giving your card information by other methods, the data is still stored somewhere. The risk with the MAAC server is that it is accessable via the internet so additional measures would be required by MAAC.

2. The additional security being discussed (card pwd) is an access control following the security recommendation of;
"something that you have": the card and
"something that you know": the password

This protects the situation that if a crook has your card just having your card number is not good enough to use it at the sites/merchants requiring an additional password. it protects you as a consumer for these sites/merchants and is a good thing at these sites/merchants. A non-participating merchant would not need a password.

3. Going back to MAAC, the new Canadian privacy law PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ) dictates how companies have to protect your data. Cdn banks were one of the first company types required by law to follow these standards. This year, additional company types are required to follow it (e.g. your car dealerships).

What I am trying to get across is that yes, your card data is protected within the SSL session (as seen by the lock) but don't use that as the only guide in whether or not to provide someone on the internet your card number. If you check the Cdn Bank sites, they all have legal privacy statements with links advising you that all measures are in place once your data is onsite to protect is securely.

These days, it's good to pay attention to this stuff. Not trying to panic anyone, I just wanted to make sure what was being said was understood.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:09 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Re: Ya worried?

Originally Posted by ronnieo
Jim McIntyre can confirm this as he works for a bank.
Nuker (Bob) is bang on with his details ... he ought to be, that's his job ... for a competing bank.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.