How much Power is too much? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #31
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Gary,

just an additional comment, you might want to re-enforce your firewall prior to adding on a bigger engine to ensure it stays solid with the vibration. As an example, if there is no triangle stock inside (just remove the gas tank to see) as a min your should add some of that with epoxy for re-enforcement. Yes it adds a bit of weight but it could stop the engine taking off and the plane staying still

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #32
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
LOL, thanks Bob, I will definitely do that! I think I am going to go with a Saito .72 for the J3 Cub I got from you. Should fly it real nicely! What do you think?

Man, the great information keeps coming, thanks so much guys! I have really been given a lot to think about and work through.

Jim, I appreciate very much the specs on weight to thrust ratio and wing loading.

Chad, awsome info on how you relate engine size to plane size, never really thought of how very important proping could be. Just always picked a prop within the mfg recommendations and went with that, something I am going to really experiment with.

Don't want to leave anybody out so thankyou all for great comments and a great thread.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #33
RCC Master Contributor
I am: James B

Total Props: 0
Re: How much Power is too much?

Originally Posted by Gary Maker
I am sincerely asking this question because I would like to have some input on this. I would like an honest discussion and reasoning on this.

Its ok to like power. And I have honestly heard some people say "Too much power is just right!" I've seen people put much higher than recommended engines on planes and would honestly like to know - How much power is too much?

Heres just a couple of examples:

Goldberg Extra 300. Recommended engines are .60 two stroke to 1.20 4stroke. I have seen these planes with 1.08 to 1.20 2stroke and 1.50 to 1.80 4strokes. Twice the recommended power in some instances.

For more modern planes and engines theres the new Wild Hare Edge 540. This is a 28% scale plane weighing 17 Lb . I have heard its designed for engines like the G62, ZDZ 50, DA50 etc. Most of us have heard of the powerful new MVVS 58, 9HP, with 48lbs of thrust swinging a 26 X10 prop. These engines are being purchased for this plane with all most twice the recommended HP.

Is too much power just right for these planes? Where do you draw the line on how much over powered you can go these days! Is safety an issue here?

This is not meant to be a criticism or to start any heated argument. I would really like to know how you determine how much power is reasonable!

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Well Gary, I can give my opinion as I do have a Goldberg Extra 300 and it has an ASP 1.08 in it now. Problem is, that engine will never hang the plane or do some other 3D maneuvers. I'm planning on looking for a used Webra 1.20 to put in it but have other planes to work on first. I want it to be a 'practice' plane for learning before I do anything daring with my H9 Extra, and I'll need the 1.20 to do that. I couldn't imagine flying this thing with a .60 in it, but I guess many would find a .60 fine. It's all about what you want to do with it.
MAAC - 64494

Bisson Custom Mufflers
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.