Apprentice S15e Goes Rogue?? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 11-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #21
Mike Fry
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike Fry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: Apprentice S15e Goes Rogue??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Rocco,
Thanks for your information.
From your first reply when you purchased new E-Flite Safe Rx, installed them into your high end planes, flew them and had them crash for no explainable reason, this is strong validation for my replacing the E-Flite Rx with one of my new Orange Rx 6 ch with 3 axis control v3.
I will try to do this in the next week or so and get more flights logged before real snow flies here in Oshawa.
I will have to post results after the change out flights.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Fry is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #22
Traxxas1
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rocco c.
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 2

Good luck Mike.
Traxxas1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #23
Haliburtonian
RCC Noob

I am: Jamie w
Radio of choice:
Dx6
# of RCs: 10

Have you had to change a servo yet?
Haliburtonian is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #24
cessna180
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum
# of RCs: 3

Make the apprentice a better aircraft. Remove the nose wheel and the control linkage back to the servo. Carefully remove the plastic housing that holds the battery and landing gear. Rotate it 180 and re install. Install a small fixed tail wheel. This converts the aircraft to a tail dragger. Also remove the as3x receiver and install a normal rx. Replace all the e-flite servos with better (HS81) or your choice. Now this aircraft takes of much better on grass and tracks straight. e-flight servos are not the best and a normal receiver is a better choice.I have converted several Apprentice's and Sensei's for others and they fly much better. Just my opinion.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #25
carlos.ruella
RCC Apprentice

I am: Carlos Ruella
Radio of choice:
Spectrum/Futaba
# of RCs: 3

I got a problem with my aprentice when I bind it incorrectly to a DX6I, it was half binded... I took off and at 25 feet I lost all control and the airplane crashed to the ground.
carlos.ruella is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #26
oscarmok
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Oscar M

Total Props: 1

I experience this before. The cause is either on the initial power up or the servo elevator.

When plug the battery, make sure the plane in idle position for the first 8 seconds. That's when the gyro initialize. If you move around when the gyro (safe) initialize, it will cause problem.

The other problem is the elevator servo. The servo that comes with the apprentice cannot handle the gyro. Get a better servo. The other reason that cause that is due to flex in the tail. This cause the gyro over correcting.
oscarmok is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #27
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Total Props: 20

Got some new bits and pieces of an apprentice and junked the receiver and couple of stock servos and put in my equipment non Spektrum with some quality digital servos ( not expensive) and that thing flew like an angel, with no retrieving required... Only thing I put in which was not my standard brand of brushless was a Eflite power 15 with Castle creations ESC. A new flyer wanted it so bad he insisted on buying it for twice my investment which was still less than what Eflite charges. Great trainer and didn't need any gyro.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #28
Haliburtonian
RCC Noob

I am: Jamie w
Radio of choice:
Dx6

my elevator servo acted eratically tiil it ceased "down"position resulting in a heartbreaking crash. New elevator servo not a single issue. I replace with bigger better hitec servo similar to your rudder front wheel servo. do a test flight on ground pretend you going for a fly with plane locked between your legs move your flight surfaces as you do on a flight. you will likely at random times see your elevator do things it shouldn't. Like go full up or full down. and it will be random maybe 5 mins in mine did it at 7 mins into test flight. it happened to me and many others. Or listen to the guys that well "i'm noit familliar with that system but it is this or it is this. whatever happened to me good luck.
Haliburtonian is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #29
oscarmok
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Oscar M

Total Props: 1

Here is an example to secure the tail. They are so flex / weak. With the Gyro (SAFE / AS3X) it will make it worst.

http://youtu.be/hvN0gdTZ_PA
oscarmok is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #30
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Total Props: 20

I would call that severe tail flutter as I didn't notice much to the control horn movement but it doesn't take much.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.