Getting sick while modelling - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2004, 12:44 AM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
After a session of CA use a member of our club told me it wasn't "just a cold" I was suffering from. He was right. The 2nd time I had 2 weeks of flue symptoms. Runny nose, red irritated eyes, sneezing, coughing, etc.
I have switched to yellow glue and polyurethane as much as possible and have a mask with a 3M filter that is supposed to do the job. We'll see.

After paying 3 times the price of regular for odorless CA and having it work over minutes instead of seconds and then go bad really quick ($80+ later), I decided I wouldn't waste my time or money on it.

If you are reacting to it, don't treat it lightly. I understand the effect is cumulative and you can have very serious problems as a result. I will be trying the mask and lots of ventilation and use mostly carpenter's glue, polyurethane, and epoxy glues.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:19 AM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

Total Props: 0
I have a similar reaction to the CA.

Next to not using CA at all, the fan blowing across the workbench mentioned earlier works the best. It stops the vapours from going up the nose.

rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Quite common, also why I switched to "Yellow Carpenter's glue". I don't miss the CA, except when sheeting the leading edge of wings....
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #14
RCC Noob

I have the same problem with CA big time. I discovered a glue that's faster than Titebond, doesn't create any allergy problems, wicks into seams just like thin CA and is relatively inexpensive. It's called Super Phatic and is sold in 50ml. bottles. ($5.something US) I buy it from Hobby Lobby International. Here is a link:
I haven't found a Canadian supplier.

This stuff bonds balsa in about 15-20 minutes and the wood will break before the joint will let go. It's almost weightless when it dries. I've been using it for the last couple of years and am very satisfied with the product.
If I'm flying inverted, I'm crashing.
spitflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:01 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

4*60 is so right about the cumulative effects. I started to notice an allegic reaction from my workshop a few years ago, and did some research on the net. Even if you don't get an immediate reaction, the darn stuff (BOTH the balsa dust and the CA) builds up in your system. I figured it can't be a good thing, so switched to almost all water-based products, masks and enhanced ventilation. Even some of the water-based products are not without their warnings, so be careful whatever you use! We need all the modelers we can get. Good luck, Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #16
Lake Flyer
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 1
You get sick when you model, I have to get sick to model
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #17
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

Just my 2 cents worth;
When I worked at deHavilland, we went through a very indepth WHMIS course. The CA type of products are very dangerous in the vapour area. They should always be used with good ventilation.
The symptoms that are described are sensitivity symptoms and should not be dismissed.
Either switch to a different glue, or make sure you have ventilation, or get a vapour mask, not a dust mask, but one of those rubber masks with the replaceable vapour filters.
This is a very serious area that we as modelers work in, and the attitude of some that it is not that important is really not good. Our health is extreamly important and we must understand that some of the products that we use are very dangerous and need to be used with respect.
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor

Originally Posted by Propworn
Hey Ronnieo (aka Winky) tell the truth all that runny nose and sore eyes is from standing down wind of your brother Stinky isn't it.
Hey Papa Smurf. Remember this. It's you and Palmer that have been banned from staying in most of the roach hotels to prevent vacationers from exiting early from gas fumes!
Rob Harway
Sun Parlor Flyers
Windsor, Ontario

"Artificial Intelligence is no substitute for Natural Stupidity"
Rammer64 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
That's IT!!!!!!!

"Propworn wrote:
Hey Ronnieo (aka Winky) tell the truth all that runny nose and sore eyes is from standing down wind of your brother Stinky isn't it."

.........THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That must be it!!!!!!!!!

--------We are allergic to Dennis( propworn)!!!!!!!!! And I thought it was the CA. And he's getting so old.........he's starting to Fart dust. Another allergy!!! Heheheh.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:05 PM   #20
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Well guys itís not hard to figure out that Rammer is Stinky and brother to Ronnieo, Winky. These are the two trolls who live under the bridge like in the story the Billy Goat Gruff. Only picture Rammer (Stinky) peering over the edge of the bridge waiting for someone to come along and Ronnieo (Winky) standing behind him just out of sight. Every time someone approaches the bridge Stinky gets so excited he can't hold back the gas and his poor brother standing behind has to suffer the consequences blinking trying to stem the tears. Thatís where they got their nicknames and so the fable of Stinky and Winky.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.