Whoa !!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Whoa !!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had a 4 stroke back fire on me yesterday...something I have experienced a couple of times, but usually have been able to avoid. I noticed when I took the glow driver off the glow plug (OS F) the RPM dropped quite a bit and the engine started running rough...one of the symptoms of the glow plug starting to go. The only replacement I had was a fox 2 stroke plug, so I put it in. Engine was still running rough, so I tied the plane down to readjust the needle valve with the tach...when POW!! The prop flew off and the spinner exploded sending plastic shrapnel over a large area...fortunately no one was hit by the debris. ( the engine was at idle when this happened)

With the help of my flying buddies we picked up all the debris that we could find, but the tip of the spinner and the locknut were never found.

Scary stuff! Just wanted to pass this on as a safety reminder......

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I have had my YS 4-strokes backfire hard enough to bend a tru-turn spinner aluminum backplate about 30 degrees, and collapse the spinner cone by about a half inch and the prop hit the cone so hard to split the aluminum about a 1/2" !! They have a lot of built up energy and when they decide to stop whoa look out!!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Four stroke throwing props

That sure scares you when that happens . that happen to me before. Now I use a long wrench to tighten down the prop nut . The spinner did it come with an ARF kit ? If so throw those sucker kers out ,I had one explode on me now I do not use them any more. Now I usually tighten the nuts and screws on the engine.
Wise Guy
Sun Parlor R/C club
Windsor Ont
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
My OS 91 threw the APC prop and spinner a number of years ago. I was in front of it and it hit me in the leg - hard. Its allways a possibility, with any engine so I try and start it up and then QUICKLY move to the rear to do whatever you need to do.

Thats a good idea with any engine, any size. Guys kneeling in front of their planes doing full throttle run ups scare the heck out of me!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

I'm with Andrew on this one. What gets me are the guys who kneel to the side of the engine, hold the fuse with one hand and the electric starter with the other one, then adjust the engine before moving! I mention it one time to each one I see; after that, they're on their own. Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I learned the hard way about kneeling in front of a plane with the engine running that its definitely a good idea to get it started and then get out of the way quickly.

I started my G23 engine the way I had dozens of times before. I dottled in front of the plane and reached for my transmitter and just slightly bumped the throttle and the plane lunged just enough for me to stop that whirlling big prop with my arm. Two hours and 16 stitches later I was on my way home wishing I haden't been so da%$ stupid. I now have a reminder that will be with me for the rest of my life every time I look at my watch with the beautiful scar running about 3 inches along the band.
First time in 15 years in the hobby I got hurt bad!

Good advice fellows. Start em up and before you touch anything, get he heck out of the way!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Got tired of props kicking loose. Ended up drilling a 1/16 hole in the engine prop hub, not quite all the way through. Put in a 1/16 piece of piano wire. Drill the spinner back plate and prop 1/16 hole. Drill so it goes about 1/4 in. into the prop. Works like a shearpin in a boat prop. Never had one cut loose since and never had one shear. This might help.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

Backfires are scarey, but have you had the pleasure of a Saito starting without the glow driver attached. The engine was still warm after the first flight and I was giving it a few priming turns and "contact" as they say. Had to change the drawers after that one.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I watched a guy flipping over his Saito 150 witha chicken-stick, one of those hardwood sticks with the plastic tubing on it.
It backfired while he was mid-flip, and it chopped that stick off clean!
Had he been using his finger, I have no doubt that we would have been picking his finger up off the ground, and rushing him to th hospital to have it re-attached.
This incident is the reason I don't start my 4-strokes with my finger any more.

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:10 AM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

I had been starting it by grabbing the spinner, but now went back to the chicken stick as well.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.