DP Edge 540 - Progress Report - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2004, 01:27 PM   #41
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
JR 783
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Decided to send an update to my update....

Plane is virtually complete. I have installed engine, cowl, tank, prop, spinner, etc. Everything is done except the exhaust extensions (which are on backorder) and the battery placement.

I did some preliminary balance tests last night and discovered that I will have to place the battery well aft of the cockpit to achieve the 5" from leading edge balance point. I was a bit surprised by this as I thought that with two servos in the tail and a relatively light engine (Moki 1.8 ) I would need the battery well forward to achieve balance. Nope. The problem is that there really is no where to put the battery without building a little tray for it between the side longerons at that part of the fuselage. They are lite ply but still pretty flimsy so I am a bit concerned about the battery there. It is a 2000mAh Ohio R/C (4xC Cell) battery so it's not the lightest available. On the one hand I am glad it's a bit heavier 'cause I obviously need that much weight at that spot to balance, but on the other hand, I am concerned that in high g maneuvers I will be putting some strain on the battery tray/longerons. My idea is to put the tray between the longerons and also an upright support piece of lite ply below it going down to the bottom 2 spruce stringers. That should be OK?

Any thoughts?

MAAC 7674
Aurora Model Aircraft Club
CanajunFlyBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #42
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
IMAC Competition

Hi guys. Just going over the postings since I am finishing up my H9 Edge with a ryobi conversion to start. I will fly it with this until my DA50 comes in. I'm doing the dual battery thing too (2- 2100ma NiMh packs with two switches 6volt), and a CH ignition system. Looks great with my new pilot (chomping the trademark cigar! ). Not sure what prop to use but I'll start with the Forte 18-8 wood which is turning in the 7200 range right now.
We are hosting an IMAC competition in Azilda (close to Sudbury) in Northern Ontario. Its the Northern Ontario IMAC Challenge July 31-Aug 1. The web site for the event is

We'd love to have you attend!

LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.