HPI Savage or Traxxas Tmaxx - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
HPI Savage or Traxxas Tmaxx

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I know nothing about R/C trucks except I'd like one. It appears to me that the Tmaxx is the most popular, with the Savage pulling a close second. I'd appreciate posts with pros and cons, and any other information that will make the decision easier.

Hmm, Wonder what I can build from that shrapnel?
Bosshog is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jan B

Get the Savage. I've seen both the old and new version Maxx and the start system sucks. As for their engines, seems like they need to be rich to stay cool and just when the power starts coming on they bonk.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

Go to your hobby shop and get some of the car guys to give you the advabtages of both and depending on what you wanna be doing with it and what they say choose both good MT's but I like the MAXX better!
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
RCC Noob

Bosshog, if you have no experence in R/C I would recommend the T-Maxx the support from Traxxas is unequaled and most hobby shops can easily come by parts for this truck. Traxxas engines do tend to run warmer than all others I've come accrost but as long as you tune it a little on the rich side you will be fine. Most recommend you tune MT on the rich side anyhow because you seldom run it at high speeds for long periods. The starter on the T-Maxx is fine if used properly, the thing to keep in mind with the starter is the motor is not very durable. If the engine doesn't start in a couple seconds or if it doesn't turn over let off the starter button. The biggest down fall of the T-Maxx is when you feel the need for a .21 engine, even taking it easy will damage gears pretty quick. You can upgrade everything on a T-Maxx to handle the .21 but by then could could have almost paid for the Savage which has a .25. Now on to the Savage, if you have experence in R/C vechiles I would go with the Savage. The HPI support is poor in comparison and has more or less fallen on the fans to help each other out. The Savage is a stronger design all around from the frame,gears to the starter system and parts are almost as easy to come by as Traxxas. Support for this truck is a little farther behind than the T-Maxx but its getting there, keep in mind the T-Maxx in one form or another has been out since 1999 while the Savage since 2002. Also something to keep in mind I havn't come across any Savage class races yet but there are ones for the T-Maxx which might be something to consider if you want to race.
Jason_M is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.