sailboat just looking - Page 12 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #111
Windfree
RCC Apprentice

I am: Barry F
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 1
Re: sailboat just looking

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Many years ago I produced a kit for a 50/800 class racing yacht called the "Manitou " . It was a class called Marblehead which I understand is more or less passe as smaller rtf yachts are raced . I still have one which is in pristine condition and a sight to behold under sail . One thing about sailboats they are pollution and noise free and last forever with care . Sailing is one of the most relaxing things to do and very easy but extremely difficult at the expert competition level .Places I used to sail are now too weedy but we float fly there .Cheers .
Windfree is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #112
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim P
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windfree View Post
Many years ago I produced a kit for a 50/800 class racing yacht called the "Manitou " . It was a class called Marblehead which I understand is more or less passe as smaller rtf yachts are raced . I still have one which is in pristine condition and a sight to behold under sail . One thing about sailboats they are pollution and noise free and last forever with care . Sailing is one of the most relaxing things to do and very easy but extremely difficult at the expert competition level .Places I used to sail are now too weedy but we float fly there .Cheers .
some posting here are new to this part of the RC hobby, I use to race cars both dirt and carpet. Now into RC planes and just starting boats.
Do you have any knowledge on sail making? Do you have any pics of your boat?
JR Sport is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #113
Windfree
RCC Apprentice

I am: Barry F
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 1

There are pictures somewhere but don't recall where. I produced kits and sails in the 1970's . Probably I made several hundred competition sails for many classes .Even sent some to Brazil and a lot to NY state , mostly I think the Central Park group .Sent a bunch to Florida as well small amounts all over . . Got to be too much of a good thing and tried to outsource but couldn't find anyone to keep the quality so quit .There are places to get sails , Carr sails come to mind .I used Bainbridge sail cloth but I think a mylar type material is the current choice . It is a spinnaker " cloth " mostly on full size .Surfing the net should show up some info on availability or know how . Best of luck , learning is fun .
Windfree is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #114
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

I have a question: How many degrees to beam should be the sails maximum angle? I'm setting up my little sail boat and I need to know that so I can get it ready to sail during pool season.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 AM   #115
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
I have a question: How many degrees to beam should be the sails maximum angle? I'm setting up my little sail boat and I need to know that so I can get it ready to sail during pool season.
The way I was taught to set mine, (when both sails are in their tightest position) was to ensure the aft end of both sail booms were set in line with the decks outer edges i.e. where they intersect with the deck edge..

I don't proclaim to be an expert and maybe others have different suggestions but that setting seemed to work for me and I also noticed other more experienced racers using more less the same set up.

Hope this helps
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:52 AM   #116
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windfree View Post
There are pictures somewhere but don't recall where. I produced kits and sails in the 1970's . Probably I made several hundred competition sails for many classes .Even sent some to Brazil and a lot to NY state , mostly I think the Central Park group .Sent a bunch to Florida as well small amounts all over . . Got to be too much of a good thing and tried to outsource but couldn't find anyone to keep the quality so quit .There are places to get sails , Carr sails come to mind .I used Bainbridge sail cloth but I think a mylar type material is the current choice . It is a spinnaker " cloth " mostly on full size .Surfing the net should show up some info on availability or know how . Best of luck , learning is fun .
thanks for the info, you sound like you were real good at making them. Will look around web. Into a mini cold snap so have the time.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #117
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

I think the only thing that limits how far the sails can be pulled in or out depends on the length of the arm on the servo. Speaking from the full size boats, running down wind, we would let them out as far as they could go. The closer we went into the wind, the closer we would pull them in. Closer than the sides of the boat, but it is usually faster to fall off a bit, and zig zag (tack) into the wind, so if that option exists, I guess that's why you would only pull the sail in to the side of the hull. There are other things that come into play, such as how tight you pull the outhaul, to tighten the sail along the length of the boom. Higher winds, tighter sail, less wind looser to form a larger airfoil.

On top of that, every boat has a sweet spot for the angle that it heals over. Once you go past it, the hull becomes less efficient. On the Victoria, I'm going to guess that the sweet spot is 25 degrees over, or less.

The idea of making sails is very intriguing, definitely on my list of things to try.

I'm really looking forward to spring! Almost have my boat built!
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:29 AM   #118
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo55 View Post
Speaking from the full size boats, running down wind, we would let them out as far as they could go. The closer we went into the wind, the closer we would pull them in. Closer than the sides of the boat, but it is usually faster to fall off a bit, and zig zag (tack) into the wind, so if that option exists, I guess that's why you would only pull the sail in to the side of the hull. There are other things that come into play, such as how tight you pull the outhaul, to tighten the sail along the length of the boom. Higher winds, tighter sail, less wind looser to form a larger airfoil.

On top of that, every boat has a sweet spot for the angle that it heals over. Once you go past it, the hull becomes less efficient. On the Victoria, I'm going to guess that the sweet spot is 25 degrees over, or less.

The idea of making sails is very intriguing, definitely on my list of things to try.

I'm really looking forward to spring! Almost have my boat built!
Yes, we let the sails out too when running downwind with an RC boat, almost 90 degrees as I recall......we too would tighten the outhaul and also position the boom as close down to the deck as possible, the less spillage the better although you do need to allow some, right?

You're correct. the "sweet spot" does exist on the Victoria......and from what I've read the art of sail making is WAY more involved than many might at first think, ( I have a set of racing sails from the guy who sells em in Kelowna, they're great) ) good luck with future efforts to manufacture your own, on the positive side they appear to sell like hotcakes, here
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #119
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

I don't know that I would ever get to the point of having sails that anyone else would want to buy, but it would be fun to see if I could make a higher performing sail than the one that came with the boat. I actually don't think the stock sails are too bad, but without individual panels that are joined together, you really can't do much to control the shape of the sail. Having said that, I personally have no idea what the shape should be, and if I am able to figure that out, I still have no idea how to cut panels and end up with that shape. So, I'm sure that initially I'll just be making a bunch of mylar JUNK.

All that aside, I'm almost certain that a good skipper with stock sails will beat a less skilled skipper with the best sails. So in my case, I will probably have trouble even staying on the course!
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #120
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo55 View Post
I don't know that I would ever get to the point of having sails that anyone else would want to buy, but it would be fun to see if I could make a higher performing sail than the one that came with the boat. I actually don't think the stock sails are too bad, but without individual panels that are joined together, you really can't do much to control the shape of the sail. Having said that, I personally have no idea what the shape should be, and if I am able to figure that out, I still have no idea how to cut panels and end up with that shape. So, I'm sure that initially I'll just be making a bunch of mylar JUNK.

All that aside, I'm almost certain that a good skipper with stock sails will beat a less skilled skipper with the best sails. So in my case, I will probably have trouble even staying on the course!
that is so true Skipper or pilot or driver skills will offset any tech improvement up to a point. The only true test is allow a better skipper etc to do the testing of both set ups, till your skills get better.
I use to drive real race cars, open wheel formula. Driver skill showed us one weekend . I was running race gas the works and the guy who I had to work to stay with he ran regular pump gas even older tires. Other than that the cars were twins same motor etc. We switch cars for a few laps in testing and again the lap time results were the same.
The to a point is if we were both the same skill level then tech helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.