sailboat just looking - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #11
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim P
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: sailboat just looking

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
from what I have seen and dome some years ago you treat the sail like a wing So just a few degrees to one side or the other ( with the sail ) to the wind. With a larger boat ( real ) it is easier since they respond slower
JR Sport is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:20 AM   #12
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

I have access to a couple smaller lakes. it is just something I want to start slow ( cheap ) and see how I like it.

Fly everything from planes choppers, quad ( race 250 size)
Old 12-20-2015, 02:32 AM   #13
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

I did get a Catamaran as a gift ( Christmas ) just a 24 inch mast on a 16 inch boat. Could be interesting and fun. Maybe start in the pool with light winds before I take it to the lake.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #14
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

thanks for the web site. I just like the look of a plane in the air but a sail boat has the same feeling.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:48 AM   #15
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
RC Sailing is as easy as pie to learn the basics and a ton of fun.

Once you get the basics, it takes a lot of skill to master it and be really good. Good enough to race.

I say go for it!!!!

If I were you I would look to buy a ready-to-run sailboat. Its an easy way to start and will help you get your feet wet. From there, the sky...erm.. the SEA! is the limit
been looking around and then I got a early gift for Christmas . Catamaran 24 inch mast 16 inch hull . Could be a good start. If I like it will move up to larger
Old 12-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #16
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
I've always been interested in RC sailboats and I'm sure once you get into them a whole new horizon will open up. Keep us posted because anyone that gets his teeth into RC planes will likely do the same with this.
got a gift of a RC Catamaran 24 inch mast 16 in hull. Maybe a good start, if I like will jump to more advanced larger boat.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:58 AM   #17
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliboy View Post
Tried it this year and love it....a lot more involved than most might think, racing rules are more or less the same as with full sized boats....the full size rule book I saw was 50 pages, biggest mistake I made was in assuming that because I could control an rc heli that I would therefore find an RC sailboat a total cakewalk.......WRONGO !

One of the most active classes here in BC Is the "Victoria" class

Here ya go

http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Index1.html
That Victoria Class sure looks nice. There are several classes out there by the looks of things.
Have access to 2 smaller lakes and of course Lake Ontario. I want to sell off my larger RC planes and fly smaller but boats as well.
How long till you got good at sailing?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

I would love to have a sailboat as well, and it's true, if there was competition, or a sailing buddy, it would be even better.

I have done a ton of full size sailing on small 16' sloops to 27' Soling olympic class boat many years ago. The wildest ride was an 18' Hobie Cat that I owned for a few years. People may think that sailing is slow and boring... get a ride on a Hobie, or other catamaran, and you will change your mind in a hurry! They are a wild ride, and nothing for a beginner!

Going into the wind is called tacking. You have to zigzag from one windward side to the other, basically crabbing up into the wind. How much into the wind you can actually sail is determined by your boat design and sail design. On a catamaran, which is very fast, you create an effect known as apparent wind, which is straight on from the front of the boat, because you are travelling in that direction. If you want to go higher into the wind, you have to give up speed, and adjust your sails to a larger airfoil. This is all very simplified. Man, I miss my hobie!
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #19
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

Another thing about catamaran's... going straight downwind can be tough... all that wind in the sail is trying to bury the bow of the boat, when you have a cat, they don't have a ton of buoyancy on the bow, and they can bury easily.

Did that on my 18'... Had to go straight downwind, because a storm started to whip up, and you don't want to be on the lake with a 30' lightning rod! I was really hauling when the bows buried, and I finally let go of the sail sheet and tiller when I hit the water. I was 3' from the back of the boat, the other 15' was driven straight down under the water. DAMN, I MISS MY HOBIE!
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:18 AM   #20
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

sounds like you have had some fun sailing. I did some years ago myself mostly 16 ft mono hull of different makes. Some on a 27 foot out of Toronto area for a couple summers. Always take the Hobie rides when south on Vacation.
I am sure these RC boats will be fun and like RC planes be harder to operate. I found real planes easier to fly than RC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.