sailboat just looking - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #61
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim P
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: sailboat just looking

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo55 View Post
Yeah, this JimmyP guy out in Shannonville either needs a hug or a slap for starting this!

I have a pond on my property that is about half a hockey rink... I just need to get rid of some of the weeds near the shore, and I can goof around right here at home. A few miles from here is a much bigger pond/lake that never get wavy, but does get some good wind.

I bought the boat from Great Hobbies, it's $162 + Tax. I don't know why, but the shipping is free, so all in it cost me $192. It is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, so I will have lots of time to look at it and decide how I want to build it.

I wonder why it has to have the rear stay on the mast? Why can't the shrouds on the side of the mast be move a little aft to keep the mast in position? I'm not going to do this, but just wondering why not?

Is the sail winch set up on the throttle (ratchet) stick? What is the common setup... Raise the stick to pull in the sheet or let it out?

I'm going to go into orbit waiting for this thing to arrive! I haven't been this excited since my wedding night!
maybe need both I started the thread since a guy I know and fly with picked up a sailboat at a garage sale. Real nice looking boat I think it is a Soling 1 meter class. I use to sail some years ago on real boats and never forgot the fun it was. I have forgotten more than I knew. Plus I am down sizing my RC planes and starting to get a little bored as well. Wanted something simple and easy to use and different. Not many people get upset at a sailboat.
JR Sport is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:05 AM   #62
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

Quote:

With the Victoria Boat, is it possible to use the original mast and booms to get going, and then upgrade to the Longbow mast/booms, or should I build with the Londbow rigging right away?
I started right away with the "Longbow" stuff (racing sails etc) I decided to pay a bit more right off the bat and get up to racing specs rather than go through the process of rebuilding her again later on down the road.

Yes, you can of course go the "from the box" build route but it will come out heavier, I had real problems trying to locate the right length of arrow shaft here so just went with a light carbon fibre tube from my local hobby store the stays stiffened it up quite nicely anyway and my mods have stood the test of time in some pretty good wind. I also discarded the heavier stock aluminum booms and used lighter CF tubes for my sail booms (as does Bill in the "Victoria" set up video above) they've all held up well
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #63
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10

Quote:

Is the sail winch set up on the throttle (ratchet) stick? What is the common setup... Raise the stick to pull in the sheet or let it out?

Yep, the throttle stick controls the movement of the winch arm.....mine is set so when I push the stick forward the sails (assuming there's some wind movement) will fill and swing outward.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #64
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliboy View Post
I started right away with the "Longbow" stuff (racing sails etc) I decided to pay a bit more right off the bat and get up to racing specs rather than go through the process of rebuilding her again later on down the road.

Yes, you can of course go the "from the box" build route but it will come out heavier, I had real problems trying to locate the right length of arrow shaft here so just went with a light carbon fibre tube from my local hobby store the stays stiffened it up quite nicely anyway and my mods have stood the test of time in some pretty good wind. I also discarded the heavier stock aluminum booms and used lighter CF tubes for my sail booms (as does Bill in the "Victoria" set up video above) they've all held up well
Heliboy
What diameter tube did you use for mast and booms?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #65
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

I ordered the last one from Great Hobbies. I went to the Thunder Tiger website to have a look at the boat there, and it wasn't listed under the products tab? I can't imagine that they stopped making it? Anyone know the answer to that?

And yes, I am waiting too hear the diameter of the carbon mast. In a few days, I hope to have my boat, and I can measure some of the stock components to post here.

Maybe I'll do a build thread, but I think it's going to take a long time to build the boat, while I decide what upgrades to do and what to keep stock. Initially, my plan is to do all of the rigging upgrades, but keep the stock sails for a while.

I read something about the nose of the boat being very thin... Thinking about squirting in some expanding foam? Any thoughts?
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #66
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10

Quote:
I ordered the last one from Great Hobbies. I went to the Thunder Tiger website to have a look at the boat there, and it wasn't listed under the products tab? I can't imagine that they stopped making it? Anyone know the answer to that?

And yes, I am waiting too hear the diameter of the carbon mast. In a few days, I hope to have my boat, and I can measure some of the stock components to post here.

Maybe I'll do a build thread, but I think it's going to take a long time to build the boat, while I decide what upgrades to do and what to keep stock. Initially, my plan is to do all of the rigging upgrades, but keep the stock sails for a while.

I read something about the nose of the boat being very thin... Thinking about squirting in some expanding foam? Any thoughts?
Give me a day or two to measure the mast diameter, my Victoria is in my rented lockup will pop in there and measure....Yes, it was I who posted a pic on an earlier page of a Victoria laying on the bottom of our local sailing lagoon, the owner hit the concrete wall at the waters edge and with enough force to punch a 3/8" dia hole in the bow, when its was retrieved and examined the pvc hull extrusion was noted to be eggshell thin...I guess spray foam might be an option though that product can exert some force when it expands so be careful, personally I just tipped her on her nose dripped some epoxy inside the hull at the bow, and gravity did the rest
Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #67
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hey Jim, how about posting some pics of your catamaran?
Old 01-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #68
JR Sport
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Hey Jim, how about posting some pics of your catamaran?
Will do wanted to have some pics of it in the pool but mother nature fixed that idea. Look for them next week.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 AM   #69
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Sport View Post
Heliboy
What diameter tube did you use for mast and booms?
Measured my mast today, the carbon Fiber tubing I used came from my LHS in 3ft lengths ( that's close to 91.5 Centimeters (I think)......the outside diameter was 7.6 mm and the inside diameter measured 6mm. Sorry forgot the boom diameter, will get that tomorrow,

Senior moment, Gah !
Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #70
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I just got my boat last night... I'll post some pics, and measure some of the parts.
Thinking of doing a build thread, so I have taken some pictures of what's done so far. Not Much! Build the stand and cut out the hatch opening.
My first impressions are WOW, this is very nice. The hull is PERFECT, there aren't any marks anywhere, the quality of all the parts look very nice... I have to get a little further into it to see if everything lines up properly. I watched the video from Bill Shorney, who indicated that some of the hull mouldings have the rudder top and bottom openings misaligned. At first glance, mine looks perfect, but I'll check closer tonight.

I'm not sure how I want to do the rigging. I like how the Longbow rigging is inside the boat, but have also read that it MUST be outside the boat to confirm with the racing rules? What's true?

I have some turnbuckles that I will use for the shrouds and front/back stays, rather than using bowsies so that everything can be easily adjusted. I also have some ideas on places to lighten the components, but all of that will change a million times as cross each bridge.

I like the idea of keeping the boat scale looking, so I want to use the spreaders from the kit, but I also hope to do some racing at some point, so a 2nd mast and sail rig is in the future.

This can probably be labelled as a sickness... as soon as I took the hull out of the bag, and looked it over, I wanted an entire 2nd boat! I have that problem with Planes, tools, dirtbikes, firearms, archery equipment, dogs, cats... Funny thing, I have never wanted a 2nd WIFE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.