What are you guys building - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Precision Aerobatics Discuss Precision Aerobatics in canada

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For what it's worth that Tracer pictured above has a power system (motor, ESC and two 14xGP3300 packs) costing about $C800-850. Getting into the big geared Hacker and LiPo's for a full blown FAI ship can set you back a couple of "G"s. A powerful enough charger to handle the big cells in a 30 min charge is about $C200 and of course you'll need an RV size deep cycle battery.

It ain't cheap, but man it is ever satisfying to get to the field, plop the plane down, pin up and range check all in about a minute or so.

When your pals are still pumping fuel, you've got a routine or two already in.
Same thing in reverse. You're packed and they're still filling the trash with towels. T.

The motor is no biggie, its basically the same price as we pay for the glow ones, its really the batteries that kill you. You are looking at about $750 US for a single pack. If you compete you should have at least 3 as its the life of your model you need spares to ensure continuous flying should one go south.

Now comes the fun part.....the packs in use currently are 10S3P's and 10S4P's, 6000 and 8000 mah respectively. Most planes will make the 11 lb weight limit with the 10S3P packs, few if any will make it with the 4P packs. These packs are around 6C peak draw, but a full blown pattern ship will hit around 60 Amps in the air. The 3P is only good for 36 so by running it you are really killing the life of the pack as LiPO's as their life is related to the current you pull from them So the 4P's get up to around 50 amps so they are more in the range, but you cant use them because its unlikely you will hit the weight limit with them. Now they have 10C packs being tested right now which will help out a lot.

In the long run I figure those packs need to come down to $250-$300 each before they are going to get real popular for us anyways.

For charging most guys run two chargers and split the packs into 5S3 or 4P and charge them separately to prevent imbalance in the packs.

They are neat but its still a couple years off before it really takes off in the larger stuff I figure.

Hey Chad,

Do you know if Nedim made any modifications to the fuse or is he just accomadating the Hacker for fitment without anything too radical.

My personal feeling is that with these electrics the airframe weight will some down further since it won't suffer from the YS shake.

Very impressive I must say though...

He did a small mod to one of glass layers to lose a couple of grams. We did a fuse really light to see what you can get but its way to weak to handle the flight loads. I think we are at the limit of fuse weights unless we start changing materials, you still need it rigid enough to fly properly and the way it works out that minimum rigidity is enough to handle the vibes from the glow motors.

Wings and stab could get a bit lighter, but again they need to handle flight loads. Might be able to get a couple ounces lighter but its not going to be anything huge.

In reality you dont want them any lighter, figure this......

glow models are weighed without fuel and need to be under 11 lbs, lots of guys are 10.5.....now fill her up with over a pound of fuel and your TO weight it up to 11.5 lbs.

Electric models need to meet the limit with their batteries, so if you weigh in at 10.75 lbs with batt's then that is your TO weight....you are already .75 lbs lighter than the glow model.

In order to have maximum flight characteristics you want to hit the optimum weight, for most of the 900-950 sq in models you are looking for a flying weight of 10-10.25 lbs. So the electrics are not too far off of that mark.

An electric model at 10.75 lbs is about the exact same weight as my Enigma on takeoff with its 20 oz of fuel onboard, my Enigma is considered quite light at 9.85 lbs without fuel
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.