New FAI Anti-Doping Policy - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #31
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
"One step closer to getting model aviation recognized as a sport"

Whoa, Chad: I think that "sport" has been raped by judged events. Let's keep it as "hobby". Do you really want to be down there on par with girls doing inverted scissor kicks in a pool or snowboarders doing back flips? Judged events have become ludicrous. Let's get back to numbers. Fastest, highest, mostest. My opinion, Tex.
Tex Gehman, Winnipeg
Slime is Crime
Sabrejock is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:23 PM   #32
Ed Smith

I mean... like smoking a little weed is really going to increase your flying capabilities........ in your mind only, dude
You realy are missing the point.

In my case I Pylon Race. Speeds for Racing at the International level are about 180 mph. Do I realy want somebody who is spaced out on drugs or alcohol standing next to me with a transmitter in his hand?

Or, how about one of those F3A aircraft getting loose because the pilot is on drugs?

Get the message??

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:44 PM   #33
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

That is not the point either. "Anti-doping" rules are created in relation to performance enhancing drugs, not those that you speak of.

Nobody should allow themselves to fly beside someone who is hammered or stoned. You don't need the FAI to tell me, Tex or anyone that booze, dope and toy airplanes don't mix well.

Tex's point is quite clear in that he does not like "judged" events of any kind, be they toy airplane, snowboarding or figureskating and doesn't wish to see any such "sports" recieve "official" status.
........recent escapee from the nut farm and Loogan hunter!
Marc Sharpe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #34
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

Why on earth does the fai have to come out with doping policy for aeroclubs ie. "full size" when the use of drugs while exercising the privilages of a licence are banned by air regualtions in every country on earth? In fact a number of countries are testing pilots for drug use on a random basis before flight. Simply use existing aviation laws for full size and leave model fliers out unless they think there is a safety hazard. Certainly drugs are not going to enhance an individuals performance for flying a model, quite the contrary.
The whole thing is just more bureaucratic nonsense.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #35
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

There is really no need for further discussions about this, I posted it as an FYI for those who are invovled in FAI events so that they know what might be expected of them.

Its not going to bother anyone other than those individuals.

If you dont like the new rules I suggest you take it up with the FAI.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:49 PM   #36
Garnet Burke
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 1
Ed..... I was not meaning that drugs would help you to fly.. but the reverse .. it would inhibit your performance. A play on words. That is why I said'Whatever happened to common sense." Only in 'his mind' would he be a better flier.

I think back to the snowboarding champion from Canada .. Ross ? They were going to take away his medal and everyone was wondering why..... weed was not making his performance better but actually would hinder it. The whole idea of drug testing was to find performance enhancements.
His weed was the exact opposite so how could he be guilty.

If a guy was spaced out he might not be aware for a full 5 minutes after the crash that it happened. That is not performance enhancement. No I would not want him on the flightline either.

As Chad says... it's a moot point anyway.. it will affect only those in world competition or events leading to that event.

Speaking of bad weather... whatever happened to the Hippy Dippy weatherman?

Garnet Burke
Garnet Burke is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:59 AM   #37
Dave Larkin
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David L

Total Props: 7
FAI Anti-Doping Policy

I don't think we need to worry about a trickle-down effect. Certainly there was no support for the policy at the recent Aero Club of Canada AGM, and I think we can expect the same from the MAAC Board. The whole thing is a bureaucratic waste of effort. Hopefully after a year or two with nothing showing up from any tests, the FAI will have the ammunition needed to drop the nonsense that has been forced on it. Meanwhile we have to hold our noses and put up with it - but there will be nothing to worry about except for FAI events, and probably only World Champs and World Air Games at that.
Dave Larkin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:26 AM   #38
Ed Smith

Nobody should allow themselves to fly beside someone who is hammered or stoned. You don't need the FAI to tell me, Tex or anyone that booze, dope and toy airplanes don't mix well.

Tex did not mention drugs in his post. He said that he did not like judged events. Niether do I, that is why I race.

Sure, most of us do not need to be told what chemicals we put in our bodies are bad. There are however still laws against some of them. We should not have to be told that 50 kmh is fast enough in a residential area, but there are signs that do so.

I am am in favour of the policy. It will make not the slightest difference to me. I do not use any drug type substances.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #39
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Steven Daly
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Well look at the US airforce for example , they fly their missions on "GO" pills.The pilots don't have any choice in the matter.They take the "GO" pills which is basically speed or they don't fly.It gives them more endurance and keeps them more alert.
I think it makes them more triggerhappy as well like when they bombed Canadian soldiers in Afganastan.
So I guess its a possibility that some fullscale aerobatic pilots may try drugs to get an edge over the competition.
Steve Daly
MAAC# 14007
SteveD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.