Hawker Sea Fury - Scratch! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #21
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
New goodies! Front door this morning is a new set of air retracts, longer oleos, 4 air pistons, a bunch of servos, bunch of air accessories, gear door sequencers, and the air tank!
I gotta say, coming from hobby king, the retracts are quite solid, I activated the pistons with a syringe, nice and smooth, no binding. Air fittings and pistons are all brass and heavy duty, very nice. Oleos are a lot bigger than I thought, heavy duty with smooth operation.
Merry Christmas to me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0986_1452288609540.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	799082  
Warbird_ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Ribs finally sanded down and finished. Will be building centre panel first, both outer panels to be built upside down (everything appears to be referenced off the top of the wing).
Next up will be a little side project. Going to get a ceiling tile as a solid pin board, and then making jigs. Should be able to accomplish that tonight, and start wrapping spars tomorrow.
The rear spars are 2 separate pieces. I'll be using carbon fiber tape to support the joint. Front spars are solid pieces so no biggie there.
For interest sakes, you may notice that there are actually 2 ribs sitting on each pair of 5th ribs. This was my mounting idea of making that rib out of a 5/8" piece of balsa and ripping it at 5 thru the band saw. It actually worked quite well, and the bevelled rib is a lot thinner than anticipated. The outer panel will have the matching rib. Pair them up, bit of glue and CF tape across the joints, bada boom, bada Bing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0988_1452620804552.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	802586  
Old 01-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #23
Wayne_K
RCC Contributor

I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 2
Re: Hawker Sea Fury - Scratch!

Thanks for showing your build. Looking good so far.

I may have missed it, but do you have the canopy and cowl for this project, and if not, do you plan on building or purchasing them?

W
Old 01-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #24
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Thanks Wayne. Cowl will be custom fabbed around the radial when it arrives in the distant future. Canopy is another interesting story. For this paint scheme, the subject aircraft is the T20 version. 2 seater. My plan was to use 2 canopies, cut the back off one, and the front off another, and put another piece of clear plastic connecting the 2 parts (see pic).
The other mini project was a cheap version of a mitre box. Instead of buying one, I used 6 90 brackets screwed down to align the blade and keep everything straight with my cordless sawzall. Works pretty good for $7
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0989_1452640298611.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	803130   Click image for larger version

Name:	September_Pops_2005_color_Profile_1452640349862.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	803138  
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #25
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Well, mitre box project was a bit of a failure. Too much vibration from the recip saw caused everything to bounce a lot more than expected. Guess I'm mitre box shopping tomorrow....
Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #26
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Finally making some progress! Had a couple new additions to the shop as well.
The white panel under the plans is a 20gauge steel sheet painted white, and a whole bunch of MDF blocks ripped thru the table saw at 90 with steel screwed to it are my building blocks. I used rare earth magnets from princess auto to hold the blocks to the board, and ceramic magnets with wooden plugs hot glued together make up the piece holding bits. The ceramic magnets, even though significantly weaker than rare earth, don't Mar the parts.
Onwards!
2 rear spars cut to angle and size, glued together, wrapped with carbon fiber tape and 8min epoxy. The carbon fiber tape is made by DuBro I believe, and is basically a bunch of cf fibres in a strip. Honestly a bit of a pain to work with initially, but once they're covered in epoxy it was actually more helpful, I could squeegee the fibres around the spar as needed to encapsulate the spar joint.
Today I was able to stack the centre section ribs and drop on the top front and rear spars. A little sanding was needed to get them to fit, but they slipped in snugly.
I am on nights tonight, but I was still able to flip the panel over and drop the front bottom spar in place before heading out the door. Rear spar needed some more sanding, so that will get done in the AM when I get home.
I'm excited to finally see some progress!
Still trying to log all my hours but I'm well over 100 hrs total (includes R&D).
Monday's goal will be to assemble the outer wing panels. Which may get started tomorrow. Who knows.
Till next time......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0991_1453596157024.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	815234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0992_1453596190531.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	815242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0993_1453596211203.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	815250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0994_1453596250708.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	815258  

Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
michaely
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

hi Adam,

Re a miter saw box: as you already have a table saw, an alternative is a shopmade miter sled..... lots of plans for these online.

Interesting use of magnetic portable jigs to keep rib perfectly vertical without absolutely needing a steel plate work bench surface.

You may want to take a look at Top Flite's online manual/reduced size plans for their 66" wingspan Sea Fury for their construction solutions and advice:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/topa0155-manual.pdf
I'm curious about your relocating the spars from the plans you are using... will the front spars in center wing section be both top and bottom, with strengthening bracing or .....?

Having an early seventies era .60 two stroke warbird kit in my stash and now see most current warbird construction escalate to larger sizes (mid 60s" to 80" spans approximately), presumeably to lower wing loading and not require ballistic level flight speeds, I'm curious about your thinking - and that of others - on the this plan with a 55" wingspan regarding all up weight, wing loading and flight characteristics. The Top Flite Sea Fury, for example, is spec'ed out at 66" wingspan, 842sq.in.wing area and 10 to 12 pounds with a wing loading of 27 to 30 oz/sq.ft. Not being critical; but interested in what others think about what is possible in non white knuckle flying in these "smaller" world war 2 and later warplane models.

thanks for posting your build thread
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #28
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Hey michaely,
There actually is a 20 gauge steel plate under the plans, and magnets holding everything to the plate.
I can appreciate your concerns regarding weight and flying characteristics. To be honest, I'm not really sure what to expect. My whole motivation for this project was basically to prove to myself I could complete a project like this with my own personal touches.
The decision to relocate spars was based on the scale location for landing gear, and are placed according to scale.
Every attempt at weight reduction is being used, despite adding an 840g motor to the nose. Replacing most of the ply with carbon fiber, lightening holes, micro electronics, etc. I also realize my stated accessories will add unnecessary weight, but we will see how she turns out in the end.
On a side note, there are no target specs listed on the plans, how do you calculate wing loading on an elliptical wing?
Thanks for the good question, I appreciate criticism and critique, keep it coming!
A
Old 01-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #29
michaely
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

Adam,

Here is a link to elliptical wing area calculation:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform..._wing_area.htm

Personally, I think that even more than wing area, cubic volume of the wing - which increases faster that wing area when the scale of a model is increased - is a better guide to wing loading. I think Dave Platt long ago argued for using this measure. I think there are some online performance calculators that use cubic volume but they generally make an assumption about the per cent thickness of the wing which then gives a rough estimate of cubic volume. Wings of the same areas with different thicknesses have different wing volumes. What is the thickness of the Sea Fury wing: 13-14%?

good luck

Last edited by michaely; 01-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #30
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I definitely concur with the cubic vol vs wing loading, makes the most sense thinking in 3 dimensions.
Thanks for the link, I'll calculate that tomorrow, getting set for last night shift tonight. And I'll have to get back to you about the thickness. Again, nights.
In hindsight, I probably should have gotten larger plans, however I was going based on what I had at the time. I'm still excited to finally be building again, we will see how it comes out in the end.
A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.