Hawker Sea Fury - Scratch! - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #31
Seafury
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg P
# of RCs: ~

Total Props: 0
Re: Hawker Sea Fury - Scratch!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Here is mine with a DA85 for power. Looking forward to your build
Were did you find that Mike?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #32
michaely
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

Adam,

Here's a lot of reading on cubic wing loading calculators, some of which include engine/motor power factors.
It's from Ampeer, a good newsletter on electric flight (but some of these articles include engine power factors). There are about 5 articles, under a lead article title "Wing Cube Loading (WCL) Factor" toward the top of the page:
http://www.theampeer.org/sitetoc.html

Here is a discussion of volume wingspan loading and one formula with guidelines, form RCScalebuilder:
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...ing&PN=0&TPN=1

Last edited by michaely; 01-25-2016 at 03:53 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #33
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1
Thanks for them links, I've been extremely busy between jobs and family and job testing. I managed to sneak in a half hour tonight to glue the wing panels together.
With a ton of clothes pins, clamps, and glue, I was able to align everything together and let it sit. This is where I see if my cuts were accurate and my speed square is straight. Will post the results tomorrow when it's not sitting on clamps.
Once glue dries, spar joints will be wrapped with carbon tape and epoxied, and depending on how strong it feels I'll add a strip of carbon along the top of the joint ribs.
One thing I am disappointed with right now is the spars on the ribs. At some point during the glue setting they either jumped up, or I just didn't notice the bow when I set them (even though I made sure they were aligned in their respective slots). With the sheer number of spars present in the wing, I am comfortable planing the spars down the to match. I'd only lose a couple mm, nothing too critical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1019_1455243726088.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	836506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1020_1455243750069.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	836514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1021_1455243775970.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	836522  
Warbird_ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #34
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Measured this morning. Bad news.
Centre wing panel remained straight, however the L wing tip is 1/4" higher than the R tip. Doh!!!!! I'll be slicing a piece out of each of the lower spars and re-gluing them down. That should help. Once that is done, on to the flap spars, retract rails, and wing tips. Oh, and wrapping the joints in Carbon tape. I don't trust that flat glue joint.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #35
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Well, this build has definitely been a learning experience I gotta say. I've re-glued the spars back in place, only to discover the wing tip is now 1/2" too far rearward. Not only that, I was never really happy with the way the spars didn't line up, and this just adds to the frustrations. I am a stickler for good workmanship and I am just not satisfied right now with what I'm seeing and doing. Coming up hopefully soon, I will yet again, re-tweak the drawings and be starting back from scratch. Ribs will have building tabs (all now on the top) and all 3 panels will be built inverted, with support blocks cut to fit between the rib spaces to guarantee they are straight and lined up.
Shame to waste so much time but in the end I know I'll be satisfied with a better product. Even though no one will see the structure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1023_1455641139487.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	842738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1024_1455641170656.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	842746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1025_1455641192829.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	842754  
Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #36
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird_ace View Post
Well, this build has definitely been a learning experience I gotta say. I've re-glued the spars back in place, only to discover the wing tip is now 1/2" too far rearward. Not only that, I was never really happy with the way the spars didn't line up, and this just adds to the frustrations. I am a stickler for good workmanship and I am just not satisfied right now with what I'm seeing and doing. Coming up hopefully soon, I will yet again, re-tweak the drawings and be starting back from scratch. Ribs will have building tabs (all now on the top) and all 3 panels will be built inverted, with support blocks cut to fit between the rib spaces to guarantee they are straight and lined up.
Shame to waste so much time but in the end I know I'll be satisfied with a better product. Even though no one will see the structure.
Wow Adam. That is just unfortunate.
Looking forward to following along as you work on Ver2

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #37
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Version 2 is coming along well. I am definitely glad I took the time to redo the wing, cuts are much cleaner and nicer looking, and everything appears straight. Almost. Now, I'm working on the biggest strangest dilemma ever. When planning the front spar, I opted to reference right angles as opposed to measurements. I shot a 90 degree line off the centre rib, both directions. Verified that both segments were straight and in line with one another. Now, long story short, making spar slots in ribs, I took a measurement from the front of W5 (the rib with the dihedral halfway out) to where the spar is on the plans, and referenced it to the other side, I'm out about 4mm. Yet the spar sketch is still 90 degrees to the main rib. And measuring against other reference points on the plans (the original spars), indicate the wing is square to itself. Sorry if this explanation is hard to follow.
I'll post photos later, but this is my current dilemma I'm trying to overcome. Definite head scratcher right now........
Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #38
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Have to admit I'm confused. Pics would definitely help.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #39
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Yep, I agree, after re-reading that post it makes absolutely no sense.
If you refer to my first post, 4th photo, it will show the new spar locations (I figured out what happened by now).
Essentially, the distance between the LE and the spar is 4mm different between W1 and W5 (wing ribs). Instead of measuring the distance at W5 (L hand side) and transposing it to the R hand side, I measured the distance at W1 and applied that to W5 R side. It's only 4mm off, but the front spars also form the front of the wheel well, and would definitely look misaligned once finished.
Dilemma solved!
New pics to follow
Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #40
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Alright, couple more pics here. Like I said before, my satisfaction level is now 100%, everything is clean and straight, just wish I had caught that measuring error in the planning stage! Grrrr......
I opted for 1/4 by 3/8 balsa spars that will be sanded to shape prior to sheeting. The black stuff is DuBro carbon fibre tape. It's basically unwoven strands of carbon fibre string clumped together into a strip. Laid up with BSI 30 min epoxy, this stuff really looks cool. And strong too. The top spars are going to get the same treatment.

Despite the set back, still motivated to get this flying before summer. Maybe not painted, but flying at least
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1036_1456972040238.jpg
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	859354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1034_1456972063938.jpg
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	859362  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.