Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Drones Everywhere

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Drones everywhere and me without a catch net. It seems like every store is pushing the sale of drones. My last two Tower Hobbies fliers were half dedicated to drones. I go on ebay and drones and drone parts are everywhere. This should increase the drone incidences by a big bunch. On myth busters they did a test with drones and human flesh, those carbon fibre props can do serious damage. Here is hoping that no one get's seriously hurt.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39
Re: Drones Everywhere

Looking at the flyer it appears to be heavily biased on the toy grade side of the multirotor world. Good luck cutting butter with the brushed motor quads.

I've seen some pretty horrific injuries from Nitro models and they can be had for much less than the larger multirotors that can actually hurt you.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Its no secret the the popularity of drones ("Multrotors" as we true RC fliers call them) are the next big ticket item under the holiday tree this Christmas. Everyone and their grandmother has been asking for one from Santa. The smart businesses that keep tabs on consumer demand are the ones that know this will be a big seller this Christmas. Can you blame them for wanting to increase their market share?

Its all a question of safety awareness. Henry's is doing a good job educating their consumers when they sell one. Best Buy has a notice posted in the aisle where they sell their drones. AMA has recruited some well known artists to make educational youtube videos. And of course, the idiots that do something stupid are in the news, and even that is a good way to educate "the other guy" who may learn something from the newscast.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mr-Mustang

Total Props: 2

I know I would not want this experienced drone pilot living next to me as my neighbour. I do not think I would be so forgiving as his neighbour were. With all the new drone under the Christmas trees this year I'm sure we will be reading about more of these accident.

Toddler Loses Eye In Horrifying Drone Accident

A 16-month-old toddler was the victim of a horrifying drone accident this week in which the child came out of it without an eye.
Oscar Webb, the unsuspecting victim of the drone accident was outside playing in his yard in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire when a neighbor suddenly lost control of a drone he was flying and it went catapulting into the small boy’s face, slicing his eyeball. The drone had apparently hit a tree and then spun out of the control of experienced drone pilot, Simon Evans.
"It was up for about 60 seconds," Evans told BBC Watchdog. "As I brought it back down to land, it just clipped the tree and span round. The next thing I know I've just heard my friend shriek and say, 'Oh God no' and I turned around and just saw blood and his baby on the floor crying."
The boy was rushed to the emergency room where doctors performed multiple surgeries before letting the toddler’s parents know the eye could not be saved and should be removed.
Though the tiny boy can see fine out of his one undamaged eye, he will still have to undergo several more surgeries before he can be fitted with a prosthetic eyeball.
Though the family has no hard feelings towards the neighbor whose drone caused the horrifying incident with Oscar, nonetheless, the event has left them all shaken and nervous about a future where drones may play a larger and larger role.
As for Evans, the drone operator, all the thrill of flying around the fancy, unmanned devices has gone away entirely.
"I look at the drones in the garage and I feel physically sick."
Words of Wisdom
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Mr-Mustang is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 9

There was a quick story from a YVR rep cautioning everyone about the use of Drones and reminding everyone that Drones and Planes do not mix. The skies will be full of them over the Holidays.
I hope there are no accidents.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10

Everyone is talking about drones hitting full scale airplanes, my bet would be there is a better likelihood of a drone causing a traffic accident.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

Was just chatting with one of my co-workers here, asked her what her 9 year old was getting for xmas. "a camera drone" was the reply.

Phantoms Phorever
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

After the initial peak there will be one at every yard sale and Kijiji ads everywhere. Only guys like us will keep at it and make it fun and safe.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

Yeah I hope the larger flying camera multirotors get replaced by the heavily geofenced and altitude restricted small camera platforms that seem to be showing up lately.

I just want to take my little FPV racers and fly close to the ground at high speed.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
After the initial peak there will be one at every yard sale and Kijiji ads everywhere. Only guys like us will keep at it and make it fun and safe.

wrong on a few levels. As drones become useful tools, they will only transform into more common usage. as common as having a DSLR camera or a toaster or a cordless drill.

But the drones we see today will not be like the ones of the future. Each generation of these consumer drones becomes obsolete in about 12 months or less.

the ones they will be selling this time nxt year will be very different than the ones sold this winter, and so on.

The next three big trends are:

- automatic sense and avoid. several drones coming out with that in 2016 we know about. These cannot hit a person, tree, car

- small size with high quality optics and stabilization. Will likely be lower weight than the FAA Registration minimum. The new drone registration cutoff at 250 grams will fuel a massive shift of focus on sub 250g HD stabilized drones. Most will be pretty much silent and utterly harmless if that trend catches on a couple years. They will also deliver better flight times and better video quality than a new big heavy Phantom does today. The military have been using a tiny drone like this for several years now, but that engineering has been classified.

- widening of the no-fly-zone software implementation, making it impossible to fly near airports or designated locations. This has been around a while already.

the more the tech can solve people's worries about drones, the better they will be integrated into our daily lives, into our cities, businesses and homes. it is a good thing on balance, as there are so many thousands of positive uses for them. It is highly commendable the new tech that the drone revolution is bringing out .. bringing a lot of safety innovations to RC flying that traditional RC companies have not been willing to work on.

for my own purposes, I tried owning a camera drone (DIY built) a couple years ago. But they are too boring from a RC pilot's perspective. Also heavy and pita to haul around. A clunky tool that might be OK for professionals.

but if these new generation of micro size drones can do what the Phantom does today ... I might just buy one. Something small and reliable to throw into a suitcase with my clothes and fly around the world to make videos on vacation.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 12-16-2015 at 06:40 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.