How/what to clean my new touch up paint gun with? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #1

Total Props: 1
How/what to clean my new touch up paint gun with?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Got a new touch up gun and there are some questions.

How do you clean it regarding degreasing it? I have read that cleanliness re oil contamination is really a high priority when painting and avoiding "fisheye".

Then it says it has to be oiled. Why does a paint gun need oiling? There are no moving parts (like in a ratchet airgun for example). I could post the instructions re oiling but maybe if someone can explain where/how.

It says to use a light machine oil. Then I read about air tool oil. I'm so confused.

voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Kent I

Total Props: 0
I don't know which gun you have but there is usually packing of some type around the area the fluid needle goes through the gun body. There is also packing around the fan adjustment. Also it help to lube the pivot pin on the trigger.

Laquer thinner is the best for cleaning a gun. Must be cleaned immediately after use or you will be using paint stripper for cleaning it.

I used to be a bodyman.
Imhoff43 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Derrick R

You could probably use some thinners or other type of degreaser to clean the gun of the oil residue from packing???

I have a DeVilbiss touch up gun and just rebuilt it. (new springs, packings etc.) It came with a little tube of blue coloured lube, called air gun lube, made especially for paint guns. The rebuild instructions specifically stated to lube the main packing around the needle and the packing for the air/fan adjustment screw as well as the spring loaded ball, valve assembly, and the lever hinge point.
The place where I bought my rebuild kit warned me not to use a machine type oil as it could cause "fish-eyes" in the paint job......
MAAC #41076
Derrick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor

clean your gun

There are moving parts in a spray gun that will rust and sieze. The pintle (needle and seat) are important to keep clean and lubricated. If the seat or needle rust or become pitted, it will diminish the spray patttern and cause paint not to spread evenly. you'll get runs in the paint or tiger stripe paint pattern. I know any automotive paint supply company has a chemical to mix with paint to prevent fish eye.
I think you'll have a lot of fun with the gun once you get used to it.
Rob Harway
Sun Parlor Flyers
Windsor, Ontario

"Artificial Intelligence is no substitute for Natural Stupidity"
Rammer64 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #5

Total Props: 1
From what I've found, "fish-eye" eliminator is used with lacquers and urethanes. Couldn't find any reference to latex.

Having said that, preventing fish eyes is obviously desirable and I did find this site. Basically, it stresses to keep the surface scrupulously clean.

Lotso goods tips here.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
an other interresting site on the subject
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.