Another price hike Really? - Page 10 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #91
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12
Re: Another price hike Really?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stflight View Post
it is not fair and companies will keep doing it because they know people will pay the price. I do not shop there no more because of there pricing policies and shipping policies.
What's not fair??????? The retailer probably earns his money in CDN but pays for his product in US funds. As the cost of purchasing fluctuates the retail cost in CDN has to as well or he will not stay open long.

If you watch the market the cost in US dollars changes very little the purchasing power of your shekels however can and does fluctuate quite a bit against the US dollar. It doesn't mater where you make your purchases; your shekels will only get you so much value of the day so to speak.

With shipping, blame Canada Post or who ever the shipping company happens to be. Canada Post has implemented a gas surcharge on large packages. So now they charge you according to weight and size which ever is the greater then on top of that wanted to charge in my case an extra $25 gas surcharge for delivery.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #92
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

With large volumes of rotating stock sold online I don't know if it's feasible to track individual items and what was bought when? Any IT types want to weigh in on that?

Some smaller hobby shops just leave the sticker price on their goods, a price that was set when the inventory was purchased.

The other wild card is the banking system on both sides of the border and their exchange mechanism. My EAA membership fee was converted using $1US = $1.44C!!
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:56 AM   #93
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
With large volumes of rotating stock sold online I don't know if it's feasible to track individual items and what was bought when? Any IT types want to weigh in on that?

Some smaller hobby shops just leave the sticker price on their goods, a price that was set when the inventory was purchased.

The other wild card is the banking system on both sides of the border and their exchange mechanism. My EAA membership fee was converted using $1US = $1.44C!!
Very feasible to track. No problem.
I had some 1.48 conversions but things have changed a little.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #94
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stflight View Post
it is not fair and companies will keep doing it because they know people will pay the price. I do not shop there no more because of there pricing policies and shipping policies.
This kind of comment really really bothers me. I run the LHS here in Halifax, so I know the business very well. And here is how it is.

EVERYTHING in the hobby world is purchased in USD. We are at the whim of the current exchange rate which, I'm sure you know is terrible. Hobby companies are very well known for putting prices up as well. Example, just last year (2015) Tamiya announced a 15% blanket increase in its products. Most of the manufacturers do this to some extent constantly.
Also, The major distributors/manufacturers are constantly slimming our margins. Like very substantially. It's very difficult to compete in the Canadian market.

As far as shipping goes, there is no control over that. If Canada post raises it's prices, then that's that. For example, it used to cost 8-10$ to mail a small package in NS. Now that same small packet costs MINIMUM 12$. And you know all those broker fees you get charged when you order something from the states? well guess what, so do we.

This hobby is expensive, plain and simple. It always has been. I have been in this business for quite literally my whole life. My dad has owned this shop since the late 70's and I will soon be in line to try and keep on the legacy of the oldest LHS in Canada. (70 years this Sept) I have seen changes like crazy. As a matter of fact, I came across some old pics of our shop in the early 80s. A 4ch futaba radio was in the neighborhood of 450$. So think about that the next time you price check. It's still tons lower than it ever was.

Anywho, end rant.
greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #95
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghatt View Post
This kind of comment really really bothers me. I run the LHS here in Halifax, so I know the business very well. And here is how it is.

EVERYTHING in the hobby world is purchased in USD. We are at the whim of the current exchange rate which, I'm sure you know is terrible. Hobby companies are very well known for putting prices up as well. Example, just last year (2015) Tamiya announced a 15% blanket increase in its products. Most of the manufacturers do this to some extent constantly.
Also, The major distributors/manufacturers are constantly slimming our margins. Like very substantially. It's very difficult to compete in the Canadian market.

As far as shipping goes, there is no control over that. If Canada post raises it's prices, then that's that. For example, it used to cost 8-10$ to mail a small package in NS. Now that same small packet costs MINIMUM 12$. And you know all those broker fees you get charged when you order something from the states? well guess what, so do we.

This hobby is expensive, plain and simple. It always has been. I have been in this business for quite literally my whole life. My dad has owned this shop since the late 70's and I will soon be in line to try and keep on the legacy of the oldest LHS in Canada. (70 years this Sept) I have seen changes like crazy. As a matter of fact, I came across some old pics of our shop in the early 80s. A 4ch futaba radio was in the neighborhood of 450$. So think about that the next time you price check. It's still tons lower than it ever was.

Anywho, end rant.
Hobby shops that have been in business for a long time know they have to keep acceptable margins and stock the stuff most asked for. Guys like me who build odd ball stuff know full well we may not find it at the local hobby shop so when we order it the owner may have to single source it and I will have to bear the brunt of the full cost of shipping. That is why for those one of purchases most hobby shop owners understand why we just might mail order on our own.

If the hobby shop is operating within a reasonable margin you are going to find that after all the shipping and taxes that the prices are competitive. If you not paying taxes at the border and picking it up from a local US hobby shop thus avoiding shipping costs there is no way the local hobby shop can compete. Then again your not comparing apples to apples.

I've been to quite a few suppliers in the US and many operate from Warehouses that have no traditional store front. Some only have an order desk where shop orders are filled and shipped. If you want something you have to know what it is there is no browsing. Someone goes down the rows of kits picks it out and brings it up. You get a bit of a discount but the supplier has to be careful he doesn't undermine his regular customers by low balling with over the counter sales. His advantage is the lack of overhead in not having to work from a traditional store front. Some I have visited are cottage industry even more basic operating from his garage or basement even less overhead.

It costs money to have a professional nice looking retail establishment with knowledgeable and patient staff where you can brows to your hearts content.

Dennis
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #96
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 18

Sure, you can track what was purchased at a lower price quite easily, but how you would like to be the guy second in line buying the same thing and the guy in front of you is told $200, but you get to the till and that will be $275?

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #97
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM View Post
Sure, you can track what was purchased at a lower price quite easily, but how you would like to be the guy second in line buying the same thing and the guy in front of you is told $200, but you get to the till and that will be $275?
Sounds a lot like "You snooze you lose" (?)

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #98
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Total Props: 3

Quote:
In the case of my shop, it would be the lowest sticker price for both customers. Simple.
greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #99
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghatt View Post
In the case of my shop, it would be the lowest sticker price for both customers. Simple.
Might be fine for one or two items, but if you have stock going out all day long at a loss, it doesn't make a business very viable.

Sure, sounds simple until you start losing a lot of money. Reminds me of the sign I saw in a friends shop of the bum with the stick with the pouch of his belongings. "When I was in business, I gave everyone a deal".

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 02-29-2016 at 06:37 PM.
HAL9KPCM is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #100
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
The smart shop owner is aware of large price differences when he orders his product. Simple to hold the new stuff off the shelf for a few days after the old clears. When he replaces with the new stock the price reflects the increase he has to pay. One shop I know puts new Dubro stock behind the old that has the cheaper pricing. You pay the sticker price. Lucky you if get to clear out all the old stock at a slightly better price. He can afford to do this with small ticket items only. It shows he only increases prices when he has to pay more and he doesn't jack up the prices on old stock to make extra. He knows if he tried it with big ticket items the second customer would be up in arms about the sometimes large price increase. Ever think this may be why many shops wait until you want something to order it? You get it at the latest pricing.

This rapid price change happens in Canada all the time. Take for instance recently I purchased my new 2015 F250. Received a dealer incentive and employee pricing discount as well as being a Costco member discount. Over $11,000 off list price. 60 months 0% financing. The next week a friend went to the same dealership Employee pricing was over dealer incentive was $3700 and Costco was still $1000. The identical truck was over $6000 more with only regular financing, welcome to Canada economics 101.

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 02-29-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.