Another price hike Really? - Page 11 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #101
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 20
Re: Another price hike Really?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
And that's my point when it comes to the complaint about the price hike. In the end, it's going to happen. One can speculate all they want that the hike is being applied to items purchased at a lower price, but the complaining stops really quick when the seller has to sell at a reduced price when the dollar is better and make little to no profit, or worse yet, have a loss.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #102
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM View Post
And that's my point when it comes to the complaint about the price hike. In the end, it's going to happen. One can speculate all they want that the hike is being applied to items purchased at a lower price, but the complaining stops really quick when the seller has to sell at a reduced price when the dollar is better and make little to no profit, or worse yet, have a loss.
Again why many shops order large ticket items on demand so you pay the exchange and shipping of the day its ordered and the end cost to you still guarantees the seller a profit. Works out to the same as pricing things in US funds.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #103
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 20

Yup, then the threads that the local hobby shop never carries and good stuff. We've all seen them. Can't make everyone happy

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #104
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghatt View Post
In the case of my shop, it would be the lowest sticker price for both customers. Simple.
which hopefully would be average cost plus what you need to keep the doors open.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #105
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

US pricing in Canada creates a stable reflection of the cost of what you are buying regardless of how your Canadian dollar fluctuates. Most everything for resale in this hobby is purchased outside of Canada in US funds. If you chase that fluctuation in your pricing trying to average it out you can go crazy and some customers don’t get why prices are what they are and why they continually change.

ICARE a very good and reputable company in Canada prices out their products in US funds. I purchased a beginner F5B Hawk from them 3 years ago when I first noticed it. The price in US funds is the same today as it was then. The Canadian dollar has lost purchasing power so I will have to fork over more Canadian currency to purchase one today even though the actual value has remained the same.

It’s not the retailer’s fault our dollar doesn’t go as far as it used to.

Dennis
Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #106
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
The smart shop owner is aware of large price differences when he orders his product. Simple to hold the new stuff off the shelf for a few days after the old clears. When he replaces with the new stock the price reflects the increase he has to pay. One shop I know puts new Dubro stock behind the old that has the cheaper pricing. You pay the sticker price. Lucky you if get to clear out all the old stock at a slightly better price. He can afford to do this with small ticket items only. It shows he only increases prices when he has to pay more and he doesn't jack up the prices on old stock to make extra. He knows if he tried it with big ticket items the second customer would be up in arms about the sometimes large price increase. Ever think this may be why many shops wait until you want something to order it? You get it at the latest pricing.

This rapid price change happens in Canada all the time. Take for instance recently I purchased my new 2015 F250. Received a dealer incentive and employee pricing discount as well as being a Costco member discount. Over $11,000 off list price. 60 months 0% financing. The next week a friend went to the same dealership Employee pricing was over dealer incentive was $3700 and Costco was still $1000. The identical truck was over $6000 more with only regular financing, welcome to Canada economics 101.

Dennis
100% this. There is a reason you don't see high ticket items flooding our shelves. It's a balancing act. A very difficult one indeed.
greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #107
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

The balancing act is even tougher when the local money fluctuates as much as ours just did. So if you try and average it out by raising the price on an in stock item will the customer understand when he looked at it previously at the lower price? If you sell it at the original list price and his buddy walks in the next day looking for the same deal only to be told the new price at the new exchange rate is he going to understand?

I know certain retailers (not rc) that stocked up and kept their stock on the high side while money was near par. As soon as the exchange rate climbed they let the shelves empty out then placed the items they had stocked in the back on the shelves at the new increased pricing. When these ran low they only order enough to keep a few on the shelves sometimes keeping customers waiting while hoping the exchange rate will drop.

Dennis
Old 03-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #108
robcole1967
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Robert C.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Why is everyone so concerned about what price the items were purchased at by Great Hobbies??? Did anyone stop and do the math? Even if you had a product that you only paid $10 for would YOU sell it for $11.50 KNOWING it was going to cost you $13.00 to replace it?RESULTING in a net loss to you of $1.50 to have the same inventory? Of course you wouldn't......

You guys want the best of both worlds. When the Canadian dollar gets worse as it has now you ask the retailer to sell based on the original cost of his product so the price will be lower to the consumer....... and when the Canadian dollar improves you want the retailer to sell based on the new exchange rate also resulting in a lower cost to the consumer.....it doesn't work like that. The next time your rubbing that magic lantern ask the Genie for the 649 numbers.... you chances are better!

Last edited by robcole1967; 03-20-2016 at 09:12 AM.
robcole1967 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #109
SloViper
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Danijel C
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1

We will always complain about the prices but at the end of the day we will still go back and shop.
SloViper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #110
hayabusafmw
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Sebastian
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Trucks i used to buy 400$ taxes in are now 800... or 600
it's insanity. Left the hobby 1 year and all this happened. Sadly i see this being a constant problem unless we change currency it will never be resolved.

Without getting into a political subject it's sad cause we canadian always end up giving out stuff for free for others to profit on. While us we pay twice for nothing.

hayabusafmw is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.