Another price hike Really? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum

Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #41
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 55
Re: Another price hike Really?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great explanation Jim....makes perfect sense. I have always had great luck ordering from Great Hobbies. Keep up the good work.

Regards

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
http://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #42
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

Did my boxing day order as always, thanks Jim.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #43
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Arnold H
Radio of choice:
JR 10X
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

So I thought I would check out other Canadian pricing and went to Amazon.ca, among others. WOW is all I can say about Amazon.ca. 6 ft roll Monokote Missle Red---$70+, 8oz MicroBallon Filler - $25+, 13 x 8 Power Point Prop - $45+. Insane.
Great Hobbies is and will be my online hobby store. They price their products as reasonably as possible. I will continue to support them. My "local hobby shop" is a 3 hour drive ONE WAY! I do still support them whenever I am in the city. I owned a retail outlet at one time, and stocked RC Airplane products. Pricing changed constantly. Just the way it is.
RSVenture is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #44
RyanfromYEG
RCC Noob

I am: Ryan N
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 0

I do frequent Great Hobbies Edmonton and buy the occasional material there when the price is right or I need things in a hurry.

Other times I just order from China in advance and wait for the slow boat to arrive. I have a busy life with wife and kids, so building gets put on the back burner until I have the time or motivation. I spend time on the Xbox 1 with my sons and I always have chores including house renos. What I am saying is that daily chores allows me to order stuff with free shipping on the cheap from China because I know I won't get to it for months from when I have the initial idea. I also frequent the used market for deals or scrap that I can re-purpose.

I think Great Hobbies should start a frequent flier program to entice us to shop there more and spend more dollars. I checked how much I have spent there over the last 3 years and its in the $3,000.00s

Also GH could be a bit more active in the local communities and host events as well as get RCers together at dedicated spots. I am not asking that GH do this for free, there could be a usage fee which would be fine with me. I will gladly be a GH spokesman and promote the hobby based on my knowledge. I have met Joe many times in Edmonton and he is a good guy and has a passion for this hobby. Now you guys just need to give away schwag, get some more advertising at events, and host events. Start with a good presence at all the fun flys, have a tent and have some banner flags. Next have at least 4 MR events out at Mornville

One last thing and this is important. The Yuan is losing its value to the USD. Even though things are priced in USD, it gets converted back Yuan to pay the workers and bills in China. A lot of stuff GH does buy including the house brands are just manufactured in China and badged for GH. I am pretty certain you could pay less in USD so the Chinese still recover their costs and margins in their currency the Yuan. Besides given the slowing Chinese economy there is even more incentive for the Chinese to increase sales to the USD, therefore dropping their prices.

For my needs, I want better prices on props and LiPos, these tend to be my consumables that I tend to buy in advance before my current stock runs out.
RyanfromYEG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #45
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 9

Sorry duplicate!
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #46
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVenture View Post
So I thought I would check out other Canadian pricing and went to Amazon.ca, among others. WOW is all I can say about Amazon.ca. 6 ft roll Monokote Missle Red---$70+, 8oz MicroBallon Filler - $25+, 13 x 8 Power Point Prop - $45+. Insane.
Great Hobbies is and will be my online hobby store. They price their products as reasonably as possible. I will continue to support them. My "local hobby shop" is a 3 hour drive ONE WAY! I do still support them whenever I am in the city. I owned a retail outlet at one time, and stocked RC Airplane products. Pricing changed constantly. Just the way it is.
Amazon.ca is insane compared to amazon.com also for a lot of items. Seems we like to pay more. I did get a flyzone beaver on a special recently on amazon.ca for $140 less than other sites (about half price)and free shipping. Occasionally a deal.
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #47
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derick
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis/Tactic TTX850
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Amazon.ca is insane compared to amazon.com also for a lot of items. Seems we like to pay more. I did get a flyzone beaver on a special recently on amazon.ca for $140 less than other sites (about half price)and free shipping. Occasionally a deal.
Yes they are insane prices but if you do watch the prices on Amazon.ca they are always up and down.
I did get a flyzone beaver as well at that great price.
Even at the regular price right now the TXR version,no its not $140 less but its still $25 cheaper at Amazon than GH.
And GH just had another increase.And yes the dollar has gone down a few more cents.
Like someone else had mentioned you can't tell me that a lot of the stock they have just increased the prices on again was purchased months ago when the dollar was a lot higher.

Last edited by Boatcrazy; 01-15-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #48
RyanfromYEG
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Taranis

They have to sell at MAP for all the major brands. MAP is set in USD plus conversion, hence the prices climb.

We should be more concerned about the Chinese brands that want to take market share away from American brands. A brand like FMS? They are a really great emerging brand that has some great reviews. Another brand is Helimax. Is it possible that the prices on these brands can be knocked down or change in relation to the Yuan?

What about the TGH house brand? These are usually just relabelled at a Chinese factory when MOQ is met. What's worse is that the prices, especially for LiPos are within $2 of the name brand pack like Eflite, GensAce etc. I have contacted the LiPo factories myself and know what the pricing is when MOQ is ordered. BTW MOQ is needed to get your own labels placed on batteries.

Obviously Great Hobbies isn't perfect, but these are just suggestions. Alberta is really hurting right now, what do you think sales will be like this upcoming season with disposable income at an all time low? They need to think about other ways to entice people.

Is it possible that the Major brands prevent GH from selling the Chinese brands that at times can be clones? Obviously most of the Chinese stuff applies to accessories, batteries, planes, and quads. There isn't anything that great for ground or water.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #49
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derick
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis/Tactic TTX850
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

For the consumable stuff lipos etc its off shore all the way.
Im not paying $28 for a 3S 1500 lipo for my powered gliders when I can get for 7.99 or $35 for a 3S 2200 lipos when you can buy in for $10 off shore.
Im comparing Team GH brand lipos which are more than likey made in the same chinese factory or equivalent.
Stuff like connectors EC3,XT60 etc you can get a hand full of these (10 sets) for the same price as LHS sell for one set and they are exactly the same quality.
Even with shipping your still saving a bunch of cash.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #50
RyanfromYEG
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Taranis

Understood, but you are an educated shopper. I bet majority of their sales are one time sales with return sales for replacement parts. It is the avid hobbiest that knows where to get stuff for cheap.

Lastly, consumables and accessories usually get high mark up, that seems to be the standard in most industries.

That being said GH can't compete with the Chinese retailers. They do have a larger overhead %. They are competitive when you need the stuff in a hurry.

I really want GH to try and be more competitive with online retailers. I would pay a small price difference if I can get in my car and go pick up stuff than wait 4 to 5 weeks for free shipping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.