Another price hike Really? - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum

Old 01-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #51
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derick
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis/Tactic TTX850
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Another price hike Really?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I really wish they where as well.
And I realize they can not even come close to the off shore online pricing but a bit of an effort to keep prices affordable as its stand right now I can see myself completely getting away from spending at the LHS because it is becoming almost unaffordable to by local.
Just a note:
This thread was not started to slam GH (I have always had excellent service from them) but to make retailers know that they might be pricing themselves so high that a lot of customers can not afford the constant price hikes and will cut back on spending and look for other options
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #52
RyanfromYEG
RCC Noob

I am: Ryan N
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 0

I am not bashing GH, just complaining about certain pricing and the affordability of this hobby. Something's got to give, because inflation ain't going to help pry money from our wallets, because our wages don't climb.

Maybe it's not GH's fault but the big brands that don't see lost sales or market due to the rising US dollar?
RyanfromYEG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #53
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:

[QUOTE=RyanfromYEG;2718826]Something's got to give, because inflation ain't going to help pry money from our wallets, because our wages don't climb.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #54
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

If I'm a retailer or manufacturer the cost of raw materials or imported product does not follow the fluctuation of the local currency. If it costs more for me to obtain supplies I have to pass that on to the end user otherwise its not a business. My bottom line is I must make a profit if my cost increases by 50% yours will as well.

What your insinuating doesn't make sense. The off shore stuff you say you will buy is priced in US currency so you will still end up paying the 40 some cents on the dollar plus shipping and any taxes/import fees. What your really saying is to make your dollar stretch further you will resort to buying a cheaper made version of a north american product you usually purchase.

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 01-15-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #55
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:

Dennis,
Even with exchange rate/shipping etc. It's still way cheaper.
And honestly how many of the products we buy in this hobby are North America made any more most of it is off shore manufactured and shipped over with a label slapped on it with a big markup.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #56
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

What currency does Hobby Klunk price stuff out in?????? You still pay the exchange on the US dollar your just choosing a cheaper product to do the job that's all. So now you put a Hobby Clunk servo in your models. That you convince yourself they're as good as the brand name ones more power to you. Same with motors, esc, batteries etc. You get what you pay for.

Dennis
Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #57
Boatcrazy
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:

I've been buying HK stuff for a few years and have not had one problem.
I've had Team GH lipos drop a cell on a few packs but hey I feel good because I paid double locally for those better quality packs.
Last time I was in the LHS just about everything I looked at originated in one Asian country or another even the so called better quality stuff.
I'm not saying everything is made in Asia and rebranded but a large portion of it is.
Of course there are a number of cottage manufactures in the US and Europe that supply specialty products (Rc Jets,turbines,molded kits,radios etc) but that's the higher end of the hobby that a smaller percentage of people have the kind of fund to indulge.

Last edited by Boatcrazy; 01-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #58
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

So your not supporting your local hobby shop in the first place if your buying Hobby Klunk are you????? Hobby Klunk and other Asian manufacturers are not equal in quality by anyone's standards.

Hey if Hobby Klunk satisfies your needs then you mail order it. Always have always will they don't allow for enough margin to make it worth a hobby shops time and effort to carry the stuff besides the failure rate on some of the stuff right out of the box would drive a hobby shop owner around the bend.

If you needed 6 servos two escs and motors for two indoor models you made sure to order extras if you wanted 2 complete airframes. Sometimes you would kill yourself laughing when the servos decided to do a Saint Vitus Dance. I can't tell you how much of the stuff didn't work right out of the box.

Hobby Klunk served a purpose but there is no substitute for quality stuff where ever it happens to be made.

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 01-15-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #59
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatcrazy View Post
I've had Team GH lipos drop a cell on a few packs but hey I feel good because I paid double locally for those better quality packs.
Just because they carry the name Team GH and cost more doesn't necessarily equate with better quality packs.

Regardless of name on the package a quality pack will take a beating at high discharge rates and fast charge rates without puffing or failure. The only way to find out is to put them through the paces. Everyone's needs are different mine can be extreme and Hobby Klunk lipos have been a major disappointment. So far only two have satisfied my needs Thunderpower and Pulse.

Dennis
Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #60
RyanfromYEG
RCC Noob

I am: Ryan N
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 0

You realize that Gens Ace Pulse Tattu all originate from the same CHINESE factory right? You realize a lot of mail order from China is quality right? I get the feeling that if its not name brand you don't want. An example a Hitec charger is the same as a Chinese brand. China has good and bad stuff. Just do your research.

BTW Thunderpower pricing is nasty unless you get 50% off and free shipping with Buyer's Club. That's what I have done. During their sales the price point is the same as HK packs.

What's so wrong with FrSky? Is it because they are Chinese? FrSky trumps Spektrum in price, features, and reliability for a fraction of the price. They are the go to radio for a large portion of the expert mini quad flyers.

Don't generalize Chinese goods, they are not inferior in quality ALL THE TIME.

Warranty from China is an issue and so is support along with transit times. The high end stuff are either made in the U.S. Or in China with strict QA.

What I am saying is not all Chinese stuff is junk, you just have to wade through threads and reviews to figure it out. The LHS has already done that and you are paying for that along with the return policy and in house warranty. BTW would GH warranty a battery they sold without knowing if I abused it or not? Would they if they knew me personally knew I was knowledgeable? I gotta give it to HH, their warranty is no questions asked, and its worth paying a premium for that.

There is a place for our LHS and that is for quick delivery, and brand name goods. The FPV community uses a lot of Chinese goods and most of it is quality, we just pick through it and use each other's experience to gauge reliability.

Also the Yuan is falling which means there is more flex for pricing and a company could negotiate lower costs. This would offset the increase in value of the USD to which all our goods are priced. Sure some of the raw materials are imports, but I'm pretty sure the Chinese don't import labour.

Bottom line is this, hobby sales will drop given the souring economy and increase costs of goods. Its up to all retailers including the Chinese to price their stuff accordingly or see a drop in revenue.

I will support my LHS Great Hobbies and Hobby Wholesale when the price is right and I have disposable income. Its more important to me to feed my kids and pay my bills than it is for me to buy hobby stuff. When I do have spare funds I need to stretch and my LHS has to help me stretch it or they don't get my buisness.

I am not a big poster here, but I have the same username on RCG, so I speak from experience and am knowledgeable enough to not be part of the "sheep" team.

Last edited by RyanfromYEG; 01-15-2016 at 04:14 PM.
RyanfromYEG is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.