Another price hike Really? - Page 8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum

Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #71
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Another price hike Really?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
As to my unsubstantiated remarks about Hobby Klunk I simply invited you to search the net for HobbyKing Complaints and see for yourself
There should be a large number of complaints as almost all of their customers are ordering online, so you can safely assume they will all complain online and as publicly as possible. You might want to also consider the HUGE number of customers they sell too, so the complaints may be a very small, very public percent of that.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #72
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Quote:
Your right about the discussion part when you seem to be suffering from selective comprehension...

You seem to get your knickers in a knot easily...

Feel better now?
I am lost, what do these have to do with the topic?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #73
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Quote:
As to Frsky comparing to any long time main brand is a crock they don't have a hair of infrastructure to support the radios like the others do. When those radios are still around 20 years from now with no gimbals/wiring, cases coming apart problems then you can tell me about their quality control and durability.
opinions presented as fact?

Quote:
...anytime soon. This radio will support 16/32 channels and potentially OpenTX. It features a nice display with a resolution of 800X480, its body is made of aluminium and it will have WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #74
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
You cant really blame a Canadian Hobby shop that has to purchase thier product from the US to sell to local hobbyists. They have no control what happens to the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar.
I would assume that MOST retail hobby shops have agreements with canadian distributers as well, so we are looking at a mark up from two distrubuters and the retail shop, that seems excessive but how could they otherwise carry the dubro and robart hinges everyone wants?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #75
marcus
RCC Contributor

I am: Marcus Keeler

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
There should be a large number of complaints as almost all of their customers are ordering online, so you can safely assume they will all complain online and as publicly as possible. You might want to also consider the HUGE number of customers they sell too, so the complaints may be a very small, very public percent of that.
Very true, The huge majority of people who write online comments do so when something goes wrong. VERY few people go out their way to write an online comment to the effect of "all as described". That is the nature of all online comments
marcus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #76
marcus
RCC Contributor

I am: Marcus Keeler

Total Props: 0

Quote:
I would assume that MOST retail hobby shops have agreements with canadian distributers as well, so we are looking at a mark up from two distrubuters and the retail shop, that seems excessive but how could they otherwise carry the dubro and robart hinges everyone wants?

Which Canadian distributors specifically? I don't know of any who market and distribute a full range of Hobby Products to retail hobby stores?

Dubro & Robart come in through Horizon and/or Great planes already so why would a hobby store with those existing [free shipping] associations want to get into a contract with one or more small time local distributors with all the hassle of extra accounts, shipping, ordering system, just to save a few pennies?
marcus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #77
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
That is hilarious, a $15 RV battery box, screw terminals, a connector, and a $3 Voltmeter.

Edit: Brand name sticker

Actually the battery box near identical for size/type battery without being oversize with strap is about $15 plus shipping which works out to just under $25 bucks from the cheapest source.

Volt meter locally is just over $10 including taxes ordered including shipping it’s even more.

Two marine/motorcycle 12 volt cigarette/accessory plugs locally $15 bucks plus taxes about the same ordered plus shipping and taxes.

Two remote terminal ends (90 amp) for outside connection $8 bucks plus tax and shipping not available locally.

Two number 4 connection leads battery to remote terminals (90 amp) $15 available locally.

About $75 Canadian for all the bits and pieces and you have to build it yourself.

On top of that my Minkota trolling motor leads fit right on and the depth finder plugs into one of the accessory plugs leaving the other free for lights or what ever. One handle pick the whole thing up and put it back in the trailer/truck. Haven't seen to many battery boxes with a heavy duty carrying handle either.

In fact I am thinking about buying a second one that way I can leave one in the trailer at all times to power lights, radio etc. Trailer is equipped with plug for 110 ac and there is a 3 amp Battery Tender from Costco in the 12 volt side of things which will automatically kick in and charge any 12 volt batteries that are connected the moment 110 from a plug or generator is applied.

The 90 amp wiring and terminals give me one heck of an emergency jump start box as well.

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 01-31-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #78
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
opinions presented as fact?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Nope, opinions formed after a short search on the internet. For any of the mainstream brands a search on the internet turns up authorized repair depots in North America, not so for FrSky. Found even the premier dealers would send the unit back overseas for repair. Most owners seem to be purchasing parts like gimbals and attempting the repair themselves. A fair number of solder repairs needed for antenna and pc board connections.

Feature wise the radio looks promising, support wise itís just not there yet in my opinion and for that reason Iím out. (Always wanted to use that dragons den line thanks for the opportunity Moo).

Dennis
Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #79
4*60
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Nope, opinions formed after a short search on the internet. For any of the mainstream brands a search on the internet turns up authorized repair depots in North America, not so for FrSky. Found even the premier dealers would send the unit back overseas for repair. Most owners seem to be purchasing parts like gimbals and attempting the repair themselves. A fair number of solder repairs needed for antenna and pc board connections.

Feature wise the radio looks promising, support wise itís just not there yet in my opinion and for that reason Iím out. (Always wanted to use that dragons den line thanks for the opportunity Moo).

Dennis
Aloft Hobbies is an authorized repair depot. Other dealers in NA are too.
I know this will not be the last word
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #80
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Aloft Hobbies is an authorized repair depot. Other dealers in NA are too.
I know this will not be the last word
A while ago at our indoor we had our fair share of problems with the small HobbyKing receivers and with the FrSky modules and receivers that were supposed to work with other brands of radios. We were told at that time everything had to be shipped back for repairs there was no North American support. In the last couple of years there have been a few of the Tranis radios at the field that suffered gimbal and switch problems as well as one antenna problem (poor solder joint). Looking on the internet this seemed to be somewhat common. Something that rarely effected mainstream brand radios. At the time it was noticed that there was no Industry Canada approved number so have they since been approved for transmission in Canada? I have owned multiple Futaba, JR, one Airtronics, one Multiplex, one Spectrum and several Hitec radios. I have never had a gimbal or solder problem with any of these brands. Damaged switches have been my fault.

They may have support now in North America but not too long ago we were told everything had to be sent back. I could not find any searching the FrSky web site. No list of authorised North American repair depots. On their FAQ they told customers to ship it back so they can fix the problem.

Maybe it’s just me but I am just used to having radio equipment that never gives me problems. To use something that still seems to need more development in the reliability side of things is not for me.

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.