More holiday tips and pilot school - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Alex Fagundes
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
More holiday tips and pilot school

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey everyone and Merry Christmas!

It's a shame Rccanada doesn't get as many view as some of the other forums but I like it because it's local and I try to throw in my 2 cents whenever I have some time.

Just wanted to throw this out to anyone willing to read or throw in their 2 cents. It's expected that almost a half million drones will be sold this holiday season ranging from small little guys to carbon fiber skin shredding bone cutting units.

I post this in light of two things: one is a funny incident and post I made earlier today involving a seemingly harmless little unit fully enclosed in a dome. The other is I sold a Blade 350QX3 to a person after having really good experiences with it and even practicing safe flight with the younger kid. This person (who was new at this kind of stuff) and I went over the whole unit together, I took them out and flew it, went over the basics and safe flying practice.

I get a call from them Christmas eve as they are chuckling while telling me they took the copter out to a church, flew it "pretty far" and the unit, as many others, encountered interference and flew off into the sunset with no ability to control the craft or use the RTH feature.

This person seemed pretty relaxed about it all and wanted to know if I could find him a bind and fly copter to replace it....said the copter was just awsome and real easy to fly...just like that! what!?

I felt real bad for them considering not only did they loose their bird but the CGO2 attached. Then I felt a bit frustrated, as I took real good care of it and it wasn't just about selling it off, it's because I purchased a higher end video platform and hoping someone would enjoy this guy as much as I did.

In the wake of all this new RC technology, we again come to a scenario in life where things may be "too Easy" to operate in which becomes easy for people to loose sight of the risk or not understand how the technology works at all.

When people build aircraft and helis from kits they spend tens of hours building their kits, often even taking classes to train to fly, and most often fly in designated fields with caution of range and altitude. When a bird like that goes down it means something to them and they make the choice to either get out of the hobby or learn from their mistakes and spend countless more hours and money repairing the craft.

Although many of us still go through these steps when building units from scratch, most of us that do take the time to get to know a bunch of small details about the equipment that ready to fly units don't require you to spend that much time learning. In a big way it's a shame.

So now we have the FAA looking to get people registered. Will it help...I'm not convinced to what degree aside from perhaps preventing impulse purchases from some people and having current pilots possibly be held accountable and able to be reached. So how does this help pilots get into the hobby and want to learn as much as possible about what they are getting into? I'm not sure as ready to run units are here to stay.

These forums help. Clubs are great and belonging to an association certainly has benefits but in this wake of such easy access to copters no one is forced to do common sense things or take caution in knowing what your getting yourself into.

I'm going to make an attempt at helping pilots do the right things not because laws demand it but because common sense rules should really really be common things to do in this new hobby. I will try and contribute more tips as I make light of them of find great ways to exploit them

I'm also going to start holding training courses for new pilots and include session like so:

1) basic setup, safe flying practice, maintenance and cautions to consider
2) Craft building, testing, electronics, FPV equipment and custom design applications and considerations.

As always it's up to the person to seek out the info or pay someone to give it to them and likely this post isn't being directed at the people who need it the most.

So here is tip # 1 to kick things off:

Consider identifying your craft in case of fly away's. Regardless of experience or equipment this can happen at any time. It sucks to loss a bird and not knowing where it went. I feel better about holding myself accountable for what I do and regardless of registration I've begun to label my craft: I do these in two ways (I work for a sign shop and have access to vinyl cutting printers and software. The cheapest way people can do this is to invest in a label maker.

Best case scenerio is you get your bird back and get to fly it again. No need to give out an address, just put your email or phone number. If I cause harm to someone as a result of my equipment I would want to know.

Tip # 2

Consider investing in a small GPS tracker. They sell them on ebay for cheap but requires a sim card installed. you can use a pay as you go plan but at least if something happens, you can track it's location right away.

Tip # 3

Invest in a parachute deployment unit. Your craft may not take off on you but maybe it fails mid air and plunges to the ground. Parachutes will ease the fall and save your craft from total damage or prevent people or property from serious damage.

I'm sure this isn't the first post like this on here but wanted to rehash the need for safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone identifier1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	914.4 KB
ID:	787786  
imported_fusion is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: AndrewK
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 000

Re: More holiday tips and pilot school

"Parachute deployment unit"
I like that idea! But how do you keep the cords from entagling the spinning rotors?
Would save on replacement blade costs, bearing failures and DJI FlameWheel arms.
Which I now glue back together (CA and Baking Soda) rather than replace with new.
It's so easy to lose orientation... then panic as she drifts farther in the wrong direction.
kush61 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Alex Fagundes
Radio of choice:

Parachutes are spring loaded and the nicer ones to use only have for strings and look like the jet car shoots (rocket man parachutes).

They are meant to deploy once the copter's angle exceeds 90 degrees. The are also positioned in a way that keeps them away from propellers as much as possible.

Besides, I'd rather chase a drifting parachute than one that's flying away. Lol

I think the key here is all us tinkerers working together to invent better fail safes.

Btw, I 3D printed adapters for the flame wheel that attaches carbon rods instead of the plastic arms they come with. Much stronger
imported_fusion is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.