Quick connect for struts to wing - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #21
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Graham S

Total Props: 0
Re: Cub Struts

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great Job and Super write-up. I have not started the wing yet on my Cub so I will be looking at your method.

Thanks for taking the time to put it out for us.

PS... Great Website!
Graham is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #22
Dan Nadeau
RCC Contributor
I am: DanN
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Great description and pictures James. I will definitely try that on my next plane.
If a little is good and more is better, too much is just right!

Dan Nadeau
MAAC 14079
Dan Nadeau is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #23
RCC Apprentice

i am trying to do it this way,i have here a .40-.46 cub.a 3/8 dowel,drilling a 1/8 hole at the end,and then placing a treaded insert in them.take some eye bolt and srew the in the treaded insert with some nut to secure them.in the wing i installed also some treded inserts so that i can attache the eye bolt with a 6/32,8/32,4/40 screw............what ever.

im far from beeing an expert

is this a good idea?
cubpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:04 PM   #24
supercub Man
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James P
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Hi Cubpilot - I'm sorry I didn't back to you sooner but I've been away for the Easter week end. I think your plane has a one piece wing and the struts are mainly just for show. If that is the case then it doesn't matter how securely the struts are attached to the wing. However, the method you have mentioned should work OK providing the inserts are well glued to the wing and into the ends of the struts. I like to run a locking pin into the strut and through the insert or through the edge of the insert (unless the insert itself screws in) to be sure it doesn't vibrate out. Using eyebolts should be very strong and save some wire bending. Just be sure you glue on every nut or use lock nuts!
MAAC #5343
Waco Brotherhood #56
supercub Man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:01 PM   #25
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad Kacer

If the struts are non-functional, this is what I do. I use little pieces of music wire bent into "L" shapes glued into the fuse/wings/struts. The ends of the "L" MUST face forwards on the fuse and in the wings, and towards the back on the struts. If you arrange them the other way, the struts will blow off from the wind/propblast. Use small pieces of fuel tubing to hold the connections together.

This is really quick and easy, guys. See the attachment.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2145  
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #26
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

Hi there, I am finally putting on the finishing touches to my Unionville Otter, (6 ft span). For the wing strut attachments, I got some small brass hinges, about 3/4 n. long. I removed the hinge pin and screwd/glued 1/2 of the hinge to the fuse, and the wing. The other 1/2 of the hinges were embedded into the wing struts.
I then have a piece of 2-56 wire that slips through the hinge to secure the two halves together.
So far it works pretty slick, BUT.... I am now figuring out a way to secure the hinge pin so that it does not vibrate out during flight.
I have a pic of the plane on the ' fixed wing - canadian planes' section, I will post an updated pic. shortley.
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.