Glue fumes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4
Glue fumes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
When I started a hobby again in 1987 I was building in the winter time so I could crash in the summer, I needed a few trainers and was building a few. After a time I developed a tight chest and a smokers cough (I smoked in those days). Finally I saw a doctor, and he said I had to change the glue (CA and Epoxy) and go to white glue etc. I did not wish this so I bought a good air fan set it up to move the fumes away from me and cut my building time from say 8 to 10 hours a day to 2 to 4 hours a day. Some days no work was done at all. My problem left and I had 3 fliers by spring. I'm posting this so others may gain on their issues.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Glue fumes

How did you set yup your fans? As a fume hood, behind the build bench to act as a vacuum, or behind you blowing the fumes away?

Also, were you venting the fumes to the outside or just blowing it around the room?

Pictures would be nice
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3

I gave up on CA a few years ago and now use Super-Phatic from Deluxe Materials. It works like CA, you assemble the pieces and apply the glue. It takes a bit longer to set but gives a more flexible/less brittle joint and is easier to sand. I am currently working on a glider with carbon fiber spars and it does a good job gluing the balsa ribs to the carbon fiber spar.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: walter

Total Props: 0

I use CA near the Open Garage Door, I find this generally sucks all the fumes away.

If it's cold outside, I'll open the Firebox door, and that Draft does the Job as well

again is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

I set the fan randomly blowing across the table or over a shoulder, always moving the air away from me. Sort of like big business. same fumes add more air and cut the percentage of toxic fumes down.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Back in the 80's I was editor of our club newsletter and posted warnings on the exposure to epoxy. They used Ketones that would accumulate to a trip point that would then show indications of allergic reaction you may never have had before.

The unfortunate reality is that not only were these exposures cumulative, (you CANNOT get rid of them) but frequently make you allergic to an entire range of other agents.

I found CA tended to be more of a breathing problem, where I reacted like having an allergy attack or a cold. I also found the fume levels were related to how fast it set up. Thick CA tends to set slowly, whereas thin can light off so fast you can actually feel the heat and see fumes. Pretty nasty.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I have no problems i wear North half mask with the purple cartridges that are designed for use with these type of glues.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Roland G
Radio of choice:
Taranis Plus & DX9
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 0

I had serious issues. 100% convinced that it was a BAD cold. Nose completely stuffed up. Had to get a pump for asthma. Symptoms last for 5-6 days. The 3rd time this happened I finally realized that I had just used CA. Did some research and that was the problem. I have built my last 2 planes with BSI ODOURLESS CA and I was VERY hesitant. I tried only a few minutes and waited a day… no reaction.
I now use BSI Odourless CA and ENJOY building. I was almost in an ambulance and on my way to emergency. The information is out there but Holy Crap, what an experience!
camber2reflex is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.