MAAC petition - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #41
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Easy now Dallas remember as in all things Marc is the all knowing expert he told you so remember. Yep itís the 11íTh hour and they are loosing their grip in more ways than one... Yep I can see a terrorist cell spending a whole ton of time learning to fly a model airplane for a few lbs of explosives when a real airplane small and private can carry lets say 300 or 400 lbs plus pilot yep good choice on their part. What next Marc beware skydivers with explosive vests of course timing would be everything as more explosives could be carried if they did not have parachutes. HMMM I wonder how they would practice for that. Is it possible they could make use of model aircraft to ferry small amounts of explosives? Yes but from what I have read the targets were expected to be enemy soldiers heck the good guys have been using RPVs for some time now. Using the enemyís tactics against itself is an age old tradition. Setting up and financing a team in a foreign country for a few lbs of explosives using equipment that can easily be jammed reducing even further the chance of success rather unlikely. In reality was not Bransfields contact with the Transport Board about increasing the weights under the definition of what is considered a model? Gee I wonder who that would have affected. I heard he was instructed by the board not to bypass the chair who was in contact with the Transportation group already which he did including attempting clandestine meetings. Was he not instructed to not attempt to do that again without the accompaniment of one of the board? Again Marc you only tell enough of the story to support your point of view. Could this behavior of circumventing the authority of the board resulting in the loss of support rather than the hear say unsubstantiated letter no one has seen be the real cause for his resignation.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:34 PM   #42
Garnet Burke
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 1
The flying field I visit each year in the states is but 7 miles east of the Air base where some 2 dozen B-52s reside. The club members there are VERY WORRIED about this as long as a year ago.

Don't take it lightly. They don't need to learn to fly them. They can put an onboard computer on board and prgrams it to the target. Don't you remember how they flew the model over the Atlantic last year?.

Get serious
Garnet Burke
Garnet Burke is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:19 PM   #43
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
This discussion has changed a bit but, Propworn, until your most recent post we haven't seen personal attacks. Could you amend your post so that we can continue?

Tha amount spent by the industry would not blow my mind, not at all.

I did want to add as far as FAI etc. I was a full-size sailplane "sport" pilot and didn't mind paying for aeroclub dues/FAI costs etc. even when not going out for badges or competition. I am not saying that with MAAC I would want funding to cease. I am saying I like the status quo where we help a little bit. Individuals and corporations are free to contribute more and they will earn points in my eyes, and the manufacturers who help will receive some of my business, but I am on a limited budget and can't afford large amounts to support compettition.

I suppose if you have model of 75 lbs, you can carry 30 lbs. of explosives and do a fair amount of damage somewhere. I think we should consider the possibility that this consideration could affect our hobby and have a meaningful discussion, not wild heated ranting.
I will say however there are all sorts of ways to cause problems in this world and RC seems to be one less likely than many many others. The politicians are either kidding us or kidding themselves when they indicate security has been stepped up and things are under control. We don't have enough resources to guarantee anything ,but must take reasonable precautions and go on living. If we start banning our lifestyle, they win.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:25 PM   #44
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
R/C planes work both ways - take a look at this!

Keith J
lightning is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #45
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I think with todays technology and terrorist tactics, model airplanes could be quite effective.
Loaded up with 30lbs of biological agent, or radioactive material, it could be guided remotely for long distances, virtually undetected, while the operator (in a completely safe location), could guide it anywhere with extreme accuracy. Perhaps into the centre courtyard at the Pentagon during lunch-hour.
Or, perhaps through a whitehouse window, or, EGAD!, 24 Sussex!

Who would have thought of passenger jets as guided missles before 911?

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:36 AM   #46
RCC Contributor

I suggest that you read yesterday's Ottawa Citizen. It's real.
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #47
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

Pratt, instead of heading down the usual personal attack route.......

...........try listening.

Nobody here has any reason to make this stuff up.

They may not be on dropping Canada, but that doesn't matter. We are talking about people who are now going as far as strapping children with a few pounds of the paper.

Pay Attention: When full sized jetliners crashed into the world trade centre, it had nothing to do with Radio controled models......... YET MAAC's insurance rates went from about 17 grand to 100 thousand dollars as a direct result of 911 because of the simple fact that our association deals with aircraft. They don't care that they are small.

Easily available technology exist to put a model where you want it accurately............. The highly publicised Maynard Hill flight accross the atlantic on cheap and easy to acquire technology did a wonderful job of proving that. Don't think the media won't use that to tie this stuff together at some point.

Now we have a direct relationship throught government security bulletins and the media between terroism and R/C Aircraft.........

......for God sake ...........2+2 = 4

What do you think MAAC's insurance cost fallout will be if readily available toys that we play with loaded with explosives start falling in places like Israel. Like it or not, without insurance..........this association is dead.

Yeah there are more effective ways to cause mass destruction, but terroism is about "terror", it's not just about a body count. And if these morons find yet another way to keep citizens such as those in Israel, not only fearing every 10 year old kid with a jacket on, but have them fearing every sound they hear in the sky?

The usual bunch need to really try to think beyond their own little comfortable regional issues like one event or finding a way to force out somebody they don't like on a personal level.

Plank Your another one. Spouting off garbage in an effort to raise questions about office accounting so you can further your cause to dump the office staff and sell-out falls right in line with Pratt's regional garbage. These rediculous personal vendettas will be the death of this organization.

Here's a fact: Two years ago, in Toronto, at the last AGM held there. A representative from the professional firm hired to do MAAC's books commented on how well documented HQ's finances were and how much easier their job was as a result. That is a fact.......I WAS THERE!

Do not assume that those posting here are providing you with abosolute gospel.'s hoping that Blaquaire ends up as Prez, the executive has a similar appearance and Bransfield sticks around as Past Prez because I know those who go on the personal attack vendetta are dead set against these guys so they must be doing something right.
........recent escapee from the nut farm and Loogan hunter!
Marc Sharpe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #48
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I looked out the window this morning, sun is still is still blue, wind is still blowing. My transmitter is still transmitting and my fuel still has nitro in it.......somehow I dont think the government snuck into our field last night and stole the runway.....

So you guys argue about the doom and gloom, I am going to do some flying because soon the world is going to end like this....

[u]Disclaimer:[/u] The above link contains profanity view at your own risk.....but its the funniest damn thing I have ever seen!
PS: You must have sound
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:29 AM   #49
RCC Contributor

The Ottawa Citizen, Friday March 26, 2004

General Warns of New Terror Threat From the Skies

"Al-Queda owns remote-controlled aircraft it plans to use as bombs, country's top intelligence officer says"

If you can read, I suggest that you do so.[/b]
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #50
RCC Junior Contributor

Seems funny that in light of the threat (which is not new) that Israel has an apparently thriving R/C community. Indeed some of the auto pilots used in R/C are from an Israeli company that makes UAV's for the military.

Curious as to exactly what MAAC could do about it any event?

J_Helps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.