RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Yves Sabourin

Total Props: 0
Ski for an rc plane...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would like to know if we can get some ski for an airplane, next winter I like to fly during the winter and I don't know if I have to build it or purchase it, next thing, to put skis on a trainer with a tricycle do I have to put 3 skis or change the position of the gear and put only 2 skis?

"R-SABY 50"
Laval, Quebec (Canada)
MAAC 71660
JVFan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

There are several companies that make skiis for r/c planes. I have a set of the Jay Dee's skiis 60 size trike for my lt-40. Try a search at .
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andre Gagnon

Take a look a this short video. I installed a pair of skis on my Tiger 60 and I encourage anyone to try it. You can buy skis easily everywhere. Have fun !!!
andreg00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
You can make skis quite easily. One web site that shows how to make both floats and skis is
There was another that I downloaded the info from that is unfortunately gone from the web now, but the major difference was in the way the angle of the skis to the plane was maintained, the method I chose to use.

Just put a tether of strong, nonstretchable cord from the landing gear to the back of the ski to limit how far the ski can tip up and back. then make a tether of one or two #64 rubber bands from the gear wire to the front of the ski, to keep the nose up slightly. It still will tilt forward as needed to follow terrain, but won't tip too far back and act like an out of control airfoil.

Floats work just great on snow too. Just remove the water rudder. On skis I found my nose ski (I fly mostly trike geared planes) needed some small thin 'skegs' on the bottom at the rear to ensure directional control on the ground.

Your biggest problem will be getting your engine to start in -20 degree weather!

Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.