Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Andrew in Fly R/C

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Im surprised no one else has posted this. I got my May issue of fly R/C in March and just now read the QandA about engines and there is a question by Andrew about nitro content and ignition timing. I read it and it still makes no sense to me, lol. Anyway, I just thought I would share this.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Andrew in FlyRC

I to noticed Andrew's question in the Fly RC magazine. I was thinking Andrew might have mentioned that he posed this question to the magazine. I to am not fully clear on the answer he got.
More Nitro=More Combustion Chamber Heat. This increase in temp causes the mixture to fire sooner, thus the advanced timing. To retard this then you could a...install a colder plug, b...richen the mixture setting, c....lessen the nitro content of the fuel,
So if i got that right, then the increased nitro content then infact ADVANCED the timing of the firing of the air/fuel mixture...
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

That sounds right, Phattires.
And if your timing gets too advanced, you get detonation, which gives you that "frying egg" sound.
High compression will do the same thing. (more heat)
Engines made for the no-nitro European market have higher compression, and can be a problem with detonation when run with nitro.
The remedy in this case would be to reduce compression by adding a shim under the head.

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
What happened guys is that in the Feb issue I didnt quite agree with Dave Gierke's response to another question. He stated that more nitro RETARDS timing, which of course goes against everything I have experienced. In the full scale racing world of top fuel dragsters, they do have to advance the timing when running 100% nitromethane compared to methanol, as the nitromethane takes longer to burn.

BUT.... in the model engines we run it seems from experience that when increasing nitro content the compression must be lowered, or use a colder plug to RETARD timing.

Dave is one of the most knowledgeable people in the engine world today. He explained to me some of his theories but I was not 100% clear either. My letter was just part of the discussion...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.