Turnigy Bolt LiHV 4S 2400mah - mini review - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Jeff S

Total Props: 3
Turnigy Bolt LiHV 4S 2400mah - mini review

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Mini-review: Turnigy Bolt 2400mah 65C 4S LiHv

This will consist of some initial thoughts and impressions with a static bench run and a test flight.

The new wave of high voltage lipo’s boast a higher energy density and different chemistry than conventional lipo’s allowing for a peak voltage of up to 4.35V This increase makes for a not only a more powerful battery, but also a longer and higher discharge curve while coming in at nearly the same weight as existing lipo's.

Size/weight comparison:

First impressions are The Bolt HV is a very solid and well made pack, similar in construction to Turnigy’s premium A-Spec line that sits at the top of the HobbyKing range. There also appears to be a small wire 'vein' running along the length of the outside of the battery, perhaps to aide in cell balance or discharge uniformity.

At a rated 2400mah, the Bolt 65C LiHv pack was only marginally longer and slightly heavier than a conventional 2250mah 45C pack. On hand for comparison I had two standard 4.20V batteries.

A Thunder Power 2250mah 45C and a Li-on Power 2200mah 40C ‘eBay pack’

TP 2250 45C: 247g

Li-on 2200 40C: 224g

Bolt 2400mah 65C: 256g

see attached pics

Max Power Test

After a few charge and discharge cycles at 1C, I decided to charge up the Bolt to the standard 4.20V to do a couple of break-in flights in my mini hotliner fitted with a 2600kv direct drive motor and a 5X5 fixed prop. Cruising around at 30%-70% throttle for several minutes, the Bolt came down at 3.90 volts and had barely risen above ambient temperature, so far so good; Time to open it up and see what it can really do! I first decided to pull out the watt meter and make sure this new battery wasn’t going to melt any electronics in flight.

I had earlier tested the TP 2250mah 45C posting up 62amps and 925 watts.

The discount brand Li-on power pack came in at 60amps even and a respectable 870 watts.

The fully charged Bolt 2400mah 65C clocked in at 67amps and 1030 watts!

As expected the LiHv handily beat the two standard packs in peak output.
Looks like the advertised specs translate into a marked increase in power on the bench, but what about in flight?

Test Flight Impressions

After topping up the pack it was all systems go for a full on test flight. After a warm up circuit, I throttled up to maximum and did a full speed pass over the runway. Immediately noticeable was the sterner, higher-pitched wail emitted signifying an increase in RPM. Visually speed was significantly up with the model having more punch during acceleration and climb (will try to update with some GPS comparison readings down the road). The Bolt seemed to hold power very well as I performed several more full speed passes with only a slight performance drop. After landing, to my surprise the Bolt was still showing 3.87V, (looks like I can easily add an extra 30-60seconds on my timer) battery temperature was slightly warmer than before, but again only marginally above ambient temps!

Final Thoughts

With only a handful of flights so far, it is difficult to gauge what the long term performance will show, however thus far the Bolt HV has not only impressed with increased power, but also it’s incredible thermal handling capability. Both the TP and especially the Li-on power lipo’s had significantly increased in temperature after a flight, while the Bolt was barely warm as it delivered more power. This is one of the most important aspects of a high quality lipo, especially when faced with substantial amp loads. The Bolt can no doubt handle far more amps than I was able to throw at it.

Even setting aside the HV aspect, (and the accompanying need for an HV 4.35 compatible charger) the Turnigy Bolt with it’s impressive flight times and ability to deal with high power setups without breaking a sweat, would make a excellent choice for anyone requiring increased levels of performance – even when used at the standard 4.20 setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	535.2 KB
ID:	798778   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	615.7 KB
ID:	798786  
Flying Foamies is a Little Like Working for Sector 7 --
You Get a Do What You Want and Get Away With It Badge..
airbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15
Re: Turnigy Bolt LiHV 4S 2400mah - mini review

Thanks for the review. I never knew anyone who had bought one of these batteries.
Current models: Hobbico Nexstar Electric, Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX , several micros/small helis. Nothing nitro/gas.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Jeff S

Total Props: 3
Re: Turnigy Bolt LiHV 4S 2400mah - mini review

Yeah I really haven't seen too many of these HV packs either at the local clubs.

There are some other companies making these as well, Revo, Hyperion etc..I think there are a lot more people using them south of the border.
Flying Foamies is a Little Like Working for Sector 7 --
You Get a Do What You Want and Get Away With It Badge..
airbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.