Wild Hare Edge Aileron Problem! NEW: Problem addressed!!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Brian Facey
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Wild Hare Edge Aileron Problem! NEW: Problem addressed!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It has been recently reported that a Wild Hare Edge has gone down due to aileron flutter within the first ten seconds of it's maiden flight. Upon investigation the Robart pin style hinges which had been installed using Probond glue had pulled right out. Another modeler in their group had used epoxy and when pull tested it had also pulled out to easily.

Go back to your instruction book and read Step 3, Hinging the control surfaces. Especially reread the last bold printed paragraph referring to the method of gluing the aileron hinges. Have you followed that method? If not, beware of your hinge to TE bond. Tom Fawcett of Wild Hare is investigating the problem and is reported to be working with the downed planes owner.

Give your hinges a severe pull test and make sure you have sealed the control surface gaps as stated in the instructions. As more information comes forward I will pass it on to this list. Perhaps Tom Fawcett will contact the owners of these planes personally.

Brian Facey

MAAC 16362
IMAC 2289
Brian Facey is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
Brian Facey
RCC Contributor

Reply from Tom Fawcett of Wild Hare

I will quote the pertinent sections of the reply from Mr Fawcett. It is from the SA list.

" First, I am only going by the description, I have not yet received the debris. It seems pretty clear what happened though, since I've seen it on another plane that was assembled here by a friend. He used epoxy on the hinges and got a little ball on the end. The aileron came loose when the hinge came away from the foam.

The way our planes are set up, the Robarts must be glued to the wood on the trailing edge. The foam inside has no structural value at all except to hold the sheeting apart. This is clearly spelled out in the manual.

The holes that are drilled are a loose fit so the hinge knuckle will sink in and prevent a big hinge gap. So the glue must really fill up the hole.

On our tail feathers they are built up and no foam at all. The same gluing technique is used.

We recommend Probond or Gorilla glue so that it fills the voids around the hinge, penetrates the wood and captures the barbs on the shaft. I have never seen one come out when done this way."

Tom Fawcett.
Wild Hare RC.

MAAC 16362
IMAC 2289
Old 04-13-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Good Chance it might be the Trailing edge material of the wing where the hinges go into.. I belive it was Radio Craft that run into this same problem on one of there arf extras not so long ago.

just a thought

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:30 AM   #4
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Sounds like what they are saying is that the glue that was put in the holes where pushed through past the wood trailing edge into the foam. Tuss the ball of glue on the end of the hinge point.

Perhaps it would work better if the builder put glue all over the hinge itself as well as in the hole.

Just a though but that sounds like what the manufacture was trying to say.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
After reading this, I went and checked mine since I had used Epoxy to glue the hinges in.

I pulled on them pretty hard and they are nice and secure.

To get the hinges in securely, I filled the hing hole with epoxy working it down to the bottom of the hole. Once filled in slid the hinges all the way in, then pulled them out and pushed back in a few times. Once I was satisfies the hinges were well covered with epoxy, I set the aileron or wing down with the hinge opening facing down so the epoxy would run towards the hinge and not into the wing.

The hinges appear to be very secure.....I guess we'll find out on maiden.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Brian Facey
RCC Contributor

Jason. That is exactly the technique that the instructions state. Support the wing vertically with the TE down to make sure the glue stays at the balsa TE and not run away from it.

Randy has a point. If the TE balsa is super soft (pulpy) the hinge could pull out more easily than if it were a hard balsa even though it is properly glued.

Brian F.

MAAC 16362
IMAC 2289
Old 04-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

For added safety, why not go to the hardware store, buy a couple #60 drill bits, and pin the robart hinges, thats what i would do, if the trailing edge was too soft.The #60 drill bit is very very small, just a little bigger than a push pin, drill through the barb on the hinge, add some glue push the pin in and cut it off flush, hardly visible at all.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Steven Daly
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Also cut the ultracote away from the inside of the holes before epoxying.Epoxy doesn't stick to the ultracote very well.
Steve Daly
MAAC# 14007
SteveD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.