Semi scale Mig-25 Foxbat, 70 mm - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #31
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: Semi scale Mig-25 Foxbat, 70 mm

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
😎, I like to put a coat of white primer on them first, then do the test flight. Gives it a better base for painting ........... If it survives 😱
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #32
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Even though the foam wing is fairly thick, I like to install 1/16" carbon rods top and bottom of the wing. Makes a huge difference at low weight penalty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	690.5 KB
ID:	817234  
Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #33
j-c terrettaz
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: j-C T
Radio of choice:
JR 28X
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 3

John , this is great project, I want one .
Did you plan to visit Ottawa soon?
Or you are roasting in California?
j-c terrettaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #34
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well Jc, I'm not roasting, not yet anyway. Temperature nowadays is in the mid-70's but by the weekend, it'll be in the 80's.

I have been making patterns for most of the parts, and posting pretty much every step on the forum. No intention on making kits though, hell, don't even know if it'll fly.

My plate is pretty full this year, this model is sorta a fast build cause I want to get back flying by next week. Just figured since I had a full 8' X 4' sheet of 1/2" foam, it would be an inexpensive build. So far, so good 😎 All I've needed were the retracts, struts and wheels.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Tried to make the vertical find out of foam, but they were to flimsy if made sorta scale and to thick if I wanted them stiffer. So, made them out of 1/4" balsa, will add a couple of mounting tabs, but they are thin and fairly stiff. There is a small extension at the front of the fin that needs to be added, just a little scale feature, but easy to do. Also, I'll cut small holes to mount the HS-53 servos for the rudders.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
Size:	641.5 KB
ID:	817378  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #36
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Found the spec's on the Habu, it advised the all up flying weight was 44.8 oz with fixed landing gear, so figure with the retracts and extra servo which weighs 8 oz, plus the bigger battery, heavier motor and two flap servos, I would guess the all up wieght of my ill fated Habu would be somewhere between 55 and 60 oz. so the Mig so far is at 44 oz.

The two fake tail cones were made out of foam, bandsawed to shape, but I didn't like the looks of having such a thick wall, did not look real at all and was quite delicate. So, designed this method. Cut a strip of Bristol board paper to width, wrap the strip twice around the foam tail cone and use 3M 77 spray on contact adhesive to bond the paper together. Then cut off 1/2" from the foam tail one which will now be the mount. Painted the paper cone with water base urethane clear coat to seal the paper. Slipped the paper cone over the 1/2" foam collar and used whatever glue I had in reach, that is foam friendly and wicked it along the seam inside where the two meet. I think that looks a lot better and I can now finish it off very easily which will be a colour coat and magic marker lines.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	818386  
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #37
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Started filling in the seams and spar slots. There are lots of fillers on the market, some good and some not so. Beware of the DAP sparkling compound, it's very difficult to sand, stays a bit rubbery. Anyway, my favourite compound is good old general purpose drywall compound. Extremely easy to sand, feathers nicely on foam and balsa wood, and bonds very well. Can't beat the price too. Will it crack, if you put it on thick and the area has some flex, yes it will. Once the water evaporates though it is only slightly heavier than the light weight spackle.

So, the Mig is really starting to look like a jet. I'll bond the nose section to the main fuselage shortly but I don't want to cause some hangar rash moving it around.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	42
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	818682  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:49 AM   #38
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Worked on the horizontal stabilizers tonight after the club meeting. After looking over my stock of wood, decided I had enough 1/8" thick balsa to make them. So each one is a three lamination of 1/8" balsa with a 1/8" piano wire pivot rod.

I imbedded the wire 5" into the inner lamination as the stab is quite big. I laminated two strips of 6 oz fiberglass cloth on either side of the inner lamination, effectively capturing the pivot rod which is on an angle to prevent it breaking loose and spinning inside the stabilizer.

Everything is epoxied using SystemThree epoxy. So will need to wait until tomorrow to sand to shape.

The stabilizer assemble is clamped between 3/4" thick particle board so they should be true,y nice and flat.

I'll be using a HiTec HS-225BB Mighty Mini servo to operate the stab, thes servos put out 67 oz of torque on 6 volts.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	24
Size:	778.2 KB
ID:	818858  
Old 01-28-2016, 02:22 AM   #39
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Really starting to come together. All that's left to sculpt is the turtle deck and a cockpit. Then the fun of putting in the servos and main retracts.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	27
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	819978  
Old 01-28-2016, 02:22 AM   #40
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Rear view.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	819986  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.