Who's the best Online Store? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #21
RCC Apprentice
I am: Simon N
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12z

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Broken Arrow...

Thanks for your experiences here, although i do find them a little dissappointing. One benefit of living in a small country like NZ, is that with only 3 million people, everything is pretty close.
I have 3 model shops within 30mins drive, but being so far away from the rest of the world, stock is limited and expensive to have it shipped here.

Oh well. I have a couple of good leads thanks to people in here, so lets see how it all pans out.

Thanks again, and good luck with all the stuff you need...

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
V6Goose is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #22
Broken Arrow
RCC Junior Contributor

No problem. I am sure you will enjoy your stay here in Canada and if you order your stuff in advance you should be ok with the Canadian suppliers. Just allow 2-4 weeks lead time and it should work out.
Broken Arrow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:46 PM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I would hazard a guess that some of the larger (and also smaller shops I also deal with, like A&J's in Toronto) have many thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of stock. Even in a smallish hobby shop, a few hundred thousand dollars of stock isnt pushing it, and I would hate to know what inventory costs the larger ones have....

This time of year, EVERYONE is scrambling to finish off last minute projects and get the planes in the air - from my many years in the hobby I have learned to not wait untill now (start of the season) to buy the essentials like servos, ect.

Asking the shops to carry every brand & displacement engine, multiples of every brand/model of servo, etc is most definitely not finacially feasible.

And if the Canadian distributor is out of stock... well, its not the hobby shop's fault either.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #24
Broken Arrow
RCC Junior Contributor

I guess I expected a response from you as you seem bent on being confrontational with me at every opportunity but I guess under the circumstances it is to be expected. If I said it was black you would say it is white......Ok.

Firstly let me explain that when you are in business and have been for years a good business man stocks up for the "busy" time of year......that is when you make money when the demand is high and when the demand is high that is the time to acomodate your customers. Unfortunately we are not all as smart as you......... and order ahead........

Secondly if you read the post you will see that the DEALER / Distributor is not expected to carry every make and model........he only had one or 2 gas engines out of a possible 8 -10 different models from several brands he is supposed to be selling. Props, batteries, fuel tanks, fuel dots are every day staples in the industry. Out of a possible dozen brands of servos the "HOBBY SHOP" had 2...........only 2 quarter scale servos of any make in the entire inventory........that's like running a cabinet shop with no door hinges in stock.....you know what I mean.

My point was if I am going to wait for the dealers to order stuff from the States when I need it then I might as well order it myself from the States and cut out the middle man and if a fella is comming from down under to stock up then he might want to consider ordering ahead by several weeks.

See you at the funflyfun fly
Old 04-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #25
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I order lots of stuff from CDN hobby shops every year. We do not have a decent hobby shop in Windsor so I have to mail order. I don't seem to have any of the problems you claim to have. I even have access to several large hobby shops in Detroit but with the exchange right now and the lack of provincial sales taxes when ordering out of province most stuff is cheaper than buying in the US right now. Not even the big shops in Detroit carry everything you seem to want in a hobby shop. Good grief we ordered Brison engines (4 of them) from the dealer and had to wait so I don't know what you expect from the hobby shops. Sounds to me like its just something for you to complain about. You obviously have access to a phone and the internet search around till you find one if you have to have it NOW and pay whatever their asking price is. Most of the hobby shops have bent over backwards to try and help me out however I imagine if you cop the same whining attitude with the order desk they might tend to be a little less helpful.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #26
RCC Contributor

Chiming in here as Canadian importer of MVVS engines.

We underestimated the demand for the 58cc engine completley. A good suprise to be sure. This should be rectified very soon. MVVS engines have had a warm reception in Canada, we are looking forward to more of them finding thier way to modelers soon.

Speaking from my experience as a retailer in another field, I can say that it is a very difficult job to plan inventory investment.
David Moen
Salmon Arm, B.C.
MVVS Canada
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:02 AM   #27
RCC Apprentice

My #1 choice of all time which I have never
haad any trouble with is of course............
.......... www.greathobbies.com . Its maybe
the best site in all of CANADA.
RC_NITRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #28
Broken Arrow
RCC Junior Contributor

Prop Worm you are the second guy I figured I would get a response from right after AJCoholic........you 2 are kind of the Mutt and Jeff team of RC Canada. You should try thinking on your own once and awhile.

Your post is a bit off........something about the exchange rate with the US making it cheaper to shop out of province and save the PST..........
The US / Canadian exchange rate is at the lowest in 20 years and if anything it has given Canadian consumers an advantage. If you think stocking the bare basics is to much to ask for from a Supplier / Hobby Shop then you are intintitled your opinion. If you think you have it all figured out by shopping the internet and ordering from several different suppliers to get your supplies and paying all the shipping involved is the solution you go right ahead.

My point is the "big" Hobby Shops send you a 200 page catalogue and don't even stock the basics. If you are willing to let them order parts on your behalf from Tower or Horizon etc..... and take a cut from your wallet and wait twice as long as you need for the part then be my guest.

The original poster wanted to know how the get supplies when he is here in Canada for a very short time and I suggested that ordering from a very large dealer would be his best option........our largest hobby shop / supplier, by thier own aclamation, does not or has never been able to fill even the most basic order completely.

You admit that you could not get engines from Brison....the dealer......which is my point, thanks for the support.......but what is your point...........you are supposed to be defending Mutt...or Jeff........

You seem to have all the angles covered maybe I should order from you.

PS. The biggest and most obvious point I made and you missed in your hurry to be confrontational is.........that I have phoned around....all over Canada.........and there is no stock for ZDZ......or MVVS.....

Do me a favour.........read before you speak.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #29
Broken Arrow
RCC Junior Contributor

David I have recieved your PM, thanks for the help and I look forward to the MVVS engines as I understand they are great products. Inventory ordering can be a chore and in the case of MVVS being a realitivly new product introduced into Canada I can appreciate your posistion. ZDZ on the other hand has been around a little longer and is already popular and in demand.

It is frustrating trying to deal with the "Dealers" when they have no stock because they want to wait untill they have orders so they do not have to invest their money ahead of time. The Dealer / Supplier would rather get their 10 - 50 % of the cut once they have a credit card #. As you know many Dealers are exclusive and because of that the guy with the rights to import a product if he chooses to not carry stock then the whole country is out of luck.

The problem is many "dealers" are guys trying to get the margins off of selling products to pay for thier own participation in the hobby, working out of thier basements with big lavous ad's all over the place.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #30
RCC Junior Contributor

Must agree with Broken Arrow....

I am not quite as "charged" as broken arrow, but I must submit my "story".

I'm new to the hobby, and don't know all the best channels to source parts etc. I frequent Ideal hobbies, and Pinnacle (But Ideal is *my* LHS). Anyways, neither of them had retract servos (of any nature) in stock (which in itself is surprising), so I placed an order with Great Hobbies. I went pretty big on the order, basically getting all the hardware needed to complete a .40 kit with retracts. The retract servo, receiver, crystal (all Hitec), fuel filter, fuel tubing, fuel tank (great planes 10oz), latex foam padding (the du-bro stuff to pad the tank), and more.

Well, imagine my surprise when I am told that the latex foam padding is on back order 2-3 WEEKS, and the fuel tank is "due in this week" (I placed the order on a Sunday).

So, not trying to discredit Great hobbies, because they did a wonderful job of sorting things out, but I was just plain stupefied that the "Great Selection" at Great Hobbies was lacking what I consider to be essentials.

Oh well, I will definately shop with them again, but maybe by phone because the web interface does not indicate whether the item is B/O or not.

if only...
gus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.