smoke system problems - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
smoke system problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have an os 120 surpass in a new plane. I got the TME smoke pump and the slimline smoke muffler. Using smoke oil. Thought I did everything right very little) smoke.
Very little volume at high speeds but keeps on puffing while at idle. I think it might be drawing some fuild into the muffler through the pump because of low pressure in the muffler. It will keep on puffing endlessly while at idle without the pump on. Turning on the pump makes no difference.
I have the clamp used to restrict the flow right off and no difference.

Any suggestions?
Anybody got experience with a similar set up? [/quote]
Bipeguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

You could try preheating the smoke fluid, try wrapping some brass tubing coiled around the hottest part of the 120 eg. top of exhaust header. A few coils wrapped around exhaust with fluid flowing through before entering the muffler should make a difference.
On two strokes you can also use the marine water cooling clamp on style head cooler.

4 strokes run cooler than most engines, so thick smoke on a four stroke will be harder to achieve. Maybe you could also try a bit of 'baby oil' in your smoke fluid. Regardless of which way you choose I think you will need to preheat the fluid. If you notice smoke on the gas engines works much better because of thier hotter exhaust temps...
JET FX- Warbirds & Jets
Marty C is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Hi Marty,

I had thought the slimline smoke muffler negated the need for pre-heating. Though I must admit it does sound like the fluid isn't burning off.

Bipeguy have you tried a rag behind the muffler to see how much stuff is coming out, at least on the ground?

I ran the pre-heat setup on a Saito .91 with great results except for some pressure problems. I'm moving it to a Saito 1.80 this year with a Sulivan Skywriter and was looking at a smoke muffler.

If anyone out there has experience should I stick wtih preheating around the header?
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:36 AM   #4
RCC Noob

Ya, the pre-heater built in to the muffler should be working as advertised. I have checked the exhaust and there is a little fluid coming out but not much. I'm gonna re-plumb everything again and see.
Think the negative pressure in the mufler is strong enough to draw smoke fluid out of the tank, through the pump and into the muffler when the pump is not on? Doesn't seem very likley to me but I can't explain why it puffs when at idle without the pump unless its residue built up in the muffler.
Bipeguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Are you using a one way valve. I found the one that comes with the TME does lek alittle. Switched to a perry/conley valve and worked great.,
As far as smoke fluild, I found that straight lamp oil with parafin worked as well if not better then LHS smoke fluid. And no the colored fluid does not get/give colored smoke
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
RCC Apprentice

a good place to buy 1 way valves for smoke systems
is . found a great 1 for $7.69.
go to site and type the product code in the quick search
bar. product # is FOR150. hope i helped.
RC_NITRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.