starting out - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
starting out

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have never purchased any type of RC aircraft before, but i have a few friends that have them and have gotten me interested in the hobby. I would like to buy something that is affordable (under $300) but don't have a clue where i should start. i do have some experience with building because i have been making model rockets for years. if there is any advice about shopping for someone like me, i would love to hear it.
will is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Things in the RC end have gotten cheeper however I don't see you getting much unless you luck out with someone elses used stuff for 300 bucks. Plus the cost of joining a club and MAAC. I would think your investment at best would be closer to double for everything.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
There are some excellent trainer packages available today, which include everything you need to get started.

One of the most promising looking is the Nexstar from Hobbico, which for $489.99 (quoating the GReat Hobbies catalogue) includes not only the ARF airplane, but a futaba radio system, auto pilot system, OS 46 engine, and a flight simulator!

Another good looking starte package is the Hangar 9 Alpha trainer 40 , which has the plane, radio and engine for $379.99

Have a look at the great hobbies website for more info and some tips for beginners too.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
We have someone in Moncton you has the Alpha trainer. I helped put it together and it is a very well engineered ARF that flies very well.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Perhaps if you could tell us where in Canada, we could refer you to a local club who could assist in getting the right equipment either new or used. No need to go it alone.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ID

Will, check out SPAD aircraft. Very inexpensive and survivable when the ground hits you
Check out the spad section here and try this link

I have built Spad aircraft for less than $15.00, add a used motor and radio, your under $300.00 easily...Food for thought
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
2thelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:22 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
If I understand your request, you are looking for everything you need to build and fly a plane for $300.00?????

Even with a plane, engine and radio system, there are a number of other things you will need as well. If you build from a kit you will need glue, covering material, a sealing iron, exacto knife, and heat gun, minimum.

If assembling an arf you will still need most of the above items.

You will also need a ni-starter, some sort of fuel pump, a flight box and some basic tools like a glow plug wrench, spare plug, prop and spare. etc.

I think if anyone were to tell you you could get everything for $300 or less they are either selling their own stuff very cheep or are thinking unrealistically.

The best advise you can take, as already mentioned, is to search out a local club and see what they would advise and help you with!

Sorry if this info seems harsh but it is realistic and to tell you otherwise would only lead to disappointment when you start putting the price tag on things.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:53 PM   #8
RCC Noob

What i meant by saying that i had a three hundred dollar limit was not absolute, it was more of an uneducated guess as to the price range that i thought would be reasonable for starting off. (also, i meant in US dollars and not canadian, though i don't know if that makes much of a difference). i don't really want to spend that much because i am pretty sure ill crash it too.

unfortunately, I live relatively far away in Pittsburgh, PA so you guys might not know of any clubs around the area to recommend. i will definitely check that out for myself though.

Forgetting the price range, what would be the best trainer for my situation? Although i have experience with balsa wood from rockets, the electronic side would all be new to me.

Also, i am open to getting a used plane. someone experienced would definitely make a better plane than i would.

will is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 AM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

getting started

Hi Will, in my opinion, the hanger 9 alpha is one of the best set-ups on the market, you get your plane already built, the electronics are installed, and the motor is installed and test run at the factory, they sell for 379 canadian, Of course like Gary mentioned, you will still need a glow igniter, spare glow plug and prop and a few other items, the best thing you can buy is a buddy cord, with this item, you are connected to a skilled(hopefully)pilot who can take over at the flick of a switch if you get into trouble.Our club successfully trained 4 pilots last year using the buddy system and we did not have a single crash while training. Go to your local hobby shop and ask about the local club, they should have info on who to contact to join the club, and there will be instructors at the club that can help you out. This truly is a great Hobby, i started when i was 8, there are times when i wonder why i started at all, until you finally nail a certain maneouver, or fly the first plane that you build by yourself, there is no greater feeling of accomplishment, Good Luck, i am positive that you will really enjoy this hobby.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:17 AM   #10
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Will since your on the USA side of things

This fits your price of 300.00us.. matter of fact its less then that
go to this link**&P=0

Good Luck

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.