Please help my son - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2004, 06:12 PM   #21
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris D

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Those cheap little foam things are great. Like 50 cents at the dollar store and are fairly durable. Only problem is I seem to have trouble stopping myself from playing with them long enough for the kids to chuck 'em around.

Speaking of kids. If I get the chance I'm going to try and teach my 5 year old daughter to fly this year. Should be a hoot.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #22
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dan Speers
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

On my last trip to the Dollar Store I found these small lawn darts made entirely of foam, no sharp point. I rigged up a servo to drop them from my Ultra Stick. Now I can hardly keep from trying bean fellow flyers on the flight line (just kiddin' Gary).
Dan Speers, Brantford
MAAC #42283
rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor

Gee...I was nervous when a very trusting friend put the tx for a Byron p-51 in my 12 year old sons hands........ he did great..

One consideration about throwing them into the hobby too young, is they have very little experience with failure, and the consequences when something goes wrong....they do well when everything is going well, but they do not have the depth of life experiences to help them when things turn left. They can crash on a sim a thousand times and merely do a reset......real life doesn't work that way (as us "experienced" people know...)

Go for the solid foam chuck glider........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #24
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Right Dan, all I need is a lawn dart bopping me on the noggin. It was bad enough when Don H was dropping water baloons.

There are a lot of things that fly to get kids interested in flying. When I was a kid, my dad would cut us a few sticks 1/4" sq by 4 or 5 feet long and give us a sheet of brown wrapping paper, some string and we made our own kites. Made the tails out of news paper, boy did they fly great!

I like toys for kids that allow them to be creative. Its almost easy enough these days to buy some materials and work with the kids and build your own glider. Its so neat to actually build something and then go out and fly it and it gives the kids an idea of some of the fundamental building tools and materials, yes even at a young age. The best times for me as a kid was when my dad asked me to help him on some neat project and we would play with it together! Just some thoughts from a big kid now!!!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.