Receiver crystals - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

Total Props: 0
Re: Receiver crystals

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great information
I purchased the 9 Crap just before taking leave from the hobby so I would like to get use out of it. Next questions.

Futaba says stick with crystal changes in the 11-35 and 36-60 ranges on RX equipment. Is this true for all brands? I have a few Hitecs. I intend to grab some crystals and put everything on the 9 Cap if I can. All my Futaba RX are OK 40-56.

Do all need to be narrow band dual conversion?

I lost a Beaver to a collapsed antenna once. Changed the engine and before I had it trimmed for level flight it lost the signal and took a dive on climb out. There is a lesson. The short antenna is a nice touch.
What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

Futaba has hi band and low band receivers, so you need to have an appropriate crystal for the range that the RX is made for. With respect to the transmitter, you can put whatever module you want into it.

With Hitec receivers, I don't believe that there was a high band/low band receiver, so any crystal can be used. However, as Gary mentioned above, you should stick with hitec crystals in hitec rx, and futaba crystals is futaba rx.

I use both futaba and hitec rx. Haven't had a failure with either brand. I have also used the hobbyking synthesized rx with good luck as well. The brand is called Corona.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44

Originally Posted by Seafury View Post
....Do all need to be narrow band...
Everything post-1991 is supposed to be narrow band.
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Some Futaba receivers were either Lo band or Hi, but would have a sticker on the side to tell you which. A lot of the newer ones did not have that restriction.

Bergs also did not care. They have an extra advantage of being internally base-loaded so you could theoretically cut the antenna to a fraction and still have it work, (albeit with range affected the same amount.

That 9CAP is a good system. I upgraded from an 8U for more channels and only issue was not being able to directly transfer the CAMPAC to the newer Tx. In fact, find the programming easier than the JR, possibly due to more familiarity with their setups.

Most Futaba receivers also used the Dual Conversion crystals, the exception I worked with being the 146iP. That's why you really should stick with the proper unit. I have tried some aftermarket for GMS and such as back then the smaller crystals were easier to find that way. Would not risk it with anything larger than park flyer.

Although there really isn't anything wrong with 72MHz, if you do decide to go 2.4 by installing a FASST module, there are also aftermarket receivers available now, the best I've found to be those from FRSKY. Much less expensive than legacy and also rock-solid performance. If memory serves they were the first to break the FASST protocol.

The original reasoning for switching to 2.4 was to eliminate channel congestion and frequency flag restrictions, especially at large events. There is the fact of nearly 40 years development behind it that pretty well got rid of any bugs in the systems. Cannot say that of 2.4, at least not yet.

To top it off, 2.4 is becoming more congested all the time, the band used for many other devices not RC related.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.