Need help with GMS .47 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Need help with GMS .47

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Everyone,

I just broke in a gms 2000 .47 engine and mounted it inverted in my thunder tiger champion 45l. It runs great when the plane is stationary. On the take off role it loses full power and runs choppy till I land again. Who knows whats going on here? I am sure its not running lean also.

jvk1976 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:39 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Can you describe it a bit better? I mean, does it run rock solid the entire tank, while statiaonary and as soon as it starts moving it starts sputtering? Or do you have to get the nose up (in the take off) before the "choppiness" starts?

Off hand, it could be a few things:

#1 - if the tank is too low, it may be leaning out when you start to climb out
#2 - you may have a broken line or a pinhole in the pickup line which uncovers itself as the plane points up and the fuel goes to the rear of the tank, and air starts to enter the line
#3 - its possible you are running too rich

More info needed for a better analysis please...

Just a question, how experienced are you insetting up engines, ie, are you absolutely certain it isnt running lean?
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
RCC Contributor

It sounds like it's loading up as you taxing out to take-off. Because you have mounted the engine inverted it's going to run like crap until the engine is well broken and some engines never run well inverted. Try limiting the idle time to the very minimum. If you use a higher % of nitro such as 15 % this will help the idle immensely. The low end may be rich also. Good Luck and don't use a onboard glow all they do is mask the problem, they don't solve the problem.

airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

MY .47 took a loooooooonnnnnng time to break in.. It ran much better after it got some time on it.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #5
RCC Noob

I leaned out the low end today and flew for about 8 minutes - It seemed to run fairly smooth. Still ample smoke coming out of pipe but I do find its running hotter than my os 46fx. The engine still hesitates a little so i'll have to tweek it some more. Are black patches in the grass after running it up stationary a bad sign - 46 fx doesn't do that?

This is my second plane and engine so I am still fairly green with all of this. Any suggestions or ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated

jvk1976 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.