Requirements for Contruction Article for MAAC Mag? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2004, 07:44 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good idea Marc. It may inspire others to contribute, and keep a steady flow of fresh material coming.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

If we can reduce the size of the plans and state on the page that it is ok to reproduce, many of the copy shops can easily expand for you. Just provide the scale.

This does have possibilities.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

Originally Posted by scaleguy

What did you have published in RCM?

Is it that nice Hurricane you have as your avitar?
No, the Hurricane is a Vallencourt built and given to me by a good retired friend of mine. (most folks actually like me...hehe)

The one I designed was a .60 sized Hawker Typhoon (sport/stand-off scale). I'll try and dig up an old picture or two.

.....only one I could come up with quick is a distant shot in the air
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyffe.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2525  
........recent escapee from the nut farm and Loogan hunter!
Marc Sharpe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:33 PM   #14
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Man I wish i had friend like yours... given away something like that! course I have had a PT40 and a Gentle Lady given to me by guys getting out of the hobby so I can't really complain to much!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #15
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I believe room in the magazine for in depth construction articles would be very limited. Most magazines except the off shore (English and European) have discontinued any full size or pull out style plans as they were not cost effective. MAN published something to that effect years ago when they discontinued their full size pullouts. You will find most of the larger magazines that feature construction articles also charge for those plans as a way to offset costs. The cataloging, order desk and shipping of those plans are turned over to a separate supplier for distribution.

I would think that you should submit your construction article and plans with as much information as you can. Most likely what will happen is someone will edit it to fit the space available so you should be willing to add your contact info and have the ability to email or supply full details to individuals who would like to build your idea?

I would not worry about lead times, deadlines or such. I submitted a plan to the magazine for a safety stand and when they finally had the extra room to print it I had forgotten all about it and my email had changed so I asked they update it in the next issue which they did. I specifically made the offer to forward anyone who contacted me the full article and plans. Most asked for those by email, a few had no internet service so I mailed them copies. I was lucky the cost of mailing was but 8 or 9 pages from the printer so it cost me but a stamp and envelope. You guys on the other hand may be asked to supply full size plans as well. That would involve a greater printing cost and shipping and handling. Above all else you will have to be patient as they will use your article when time and space permits.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:34 AM   #16
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

First personal attack on this thread by Dennis Pratt

Then the Ping Pong game of personal attacks started

Go Figure

Originally Posted by Propworn
Why sure Marc give them another job then they can be even later than 3 weeks but by your reasoning and Kieths well we can just put a month later date on the cover and be right in step with the times. YAY good ol Marc has another great plan just like the others. Hey Marky I just can't get over how much I admire you. With that kind of reasoning you would have made a good politician man you missed your calling. Hitch up your tights there li'l fella and go out and get them bad guys fer me, fer all of us. MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis Pratt
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:57 AM   #17
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

Correct, the larger mags have their own means of producing and distributing plans, which they also use as a means of income. They pay a one-time lump sum up front to the designer and the plans are theirs to distribute as they see fit. As a matter of fact, back in 99, RCM had their own draftsmen on staff that redrafted submitted plans to the layout they preferred.

Realizing that the MAAC Mag doesn't have the plans service as an option, maybe Keith or somebody else out there knows a company that has the capability to provide copies of plans at a reasonable cost.

I don't think anyone interested on building from plans expects charity and anyone who goes through the effort to design and submit an article certainly deserves the right to make a few bucks off any plans that he makes available. Definately something you need to consider if submitting and may be the largest stumbling block in a submission.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
If you can CAD draw the plans, you would easily be able to distribute a copy to any prospective buyer/builder who can then just go to a printer and get the plan printed up.

I know the MAAC magazine doesnt pay for submissions, but I think for most, the idea of submitting an article is more to "show off your talents" and for the thrill of seeing your ideas in print rather than trying to make money. But hey, if you can sell the plans all the better.

Our magazine is getting better all the time, now with good product reviews, and if we had a short contruction article even every 2nd month it would add a lot IMO.

Besides, I just love to see what other modelers design and build themselves even if I dont have any desire to build one myself.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #19
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

AMEN AJ. the way randy, thanks for pointing out my monumental restraint.
(i think I popped a vein)

and Thank you Dennis for deciding to provide some substance.

.............dang, these tights are running up my butt again
Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Ok, how 'bout it Keith ( I know you're listening )?

If I send a DXF file , will you be able to print? :
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.