RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2004, 08:06 AM   #1
salty morgan
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
so i have this geek hobby...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
my friend said the other day, "everyone needs a geek hobby." sadly i don't think that playstation counts for him.

but here i am, emersed in building and flying rc planes. this will be my third season. i'm so hooked i find myself up earlier on the weekends than on week days. saturday and sunday morning i'm up at 5 checking the weather on the internet looking at the wind speed and direction.

my question is;

how strong a wind is too strong? i know 30km/h gusting to 47 km/h si no good for flying. but at what speed do i decide to stay home? where do i draw the line.

i do like to buy other peoples junk...

Bob the Builder is my pilot.

i wish i were more gruntled.

ch 41
salty morgan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor

It depends a lot on what you are comfortable flying with.. Oviously a strong steady breeze blowing directly down the runway is easier to deal with that a gusty crosswind...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Flying the wind

Do not let the wind bother you because you will miss out on a lot of flying. The wind always blows on days that you are at the field. Sure it is not as much fun to fly on a really windy day but by flying those days will improve flying skills . Takeoffs are easy but landings are harder[ approaches are at a faster speed] Try flying in closer in case of a dead stick landing and pay more attention to where the wind is coming from on windy days it changes direction often. 50km might be allot for some people .
Wise Guy
Sun Parlor R/C club
Windsor Ont
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

.....Saskachewan flyers will tell you a 30-47km wind is a normal day for them. As long as you are able to stand up and it's not raining, it's flying weather for those hardy members.

besides, plane doesn't know it's windy.
........recent escapee from the nut farm and Loogan hunter!
Marc Sharpe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I allways say you cant fly in the wind unless you fly in the wind... I know a few guys that wont go out unless its dead calm, here thats usually about 3 days of the summer...

I take out different models when its windy. The smaller ones (my 1/2A stuff) dont really like the wind over 10km/h but up to 25 or so anything else goes, and certain ones (bigger) are not too affected up to 30 km/h or so. Above that its not fun , as I feel I am just fighting the wind... IMO.

As for a "geek" hobby, most people I know think that my hobby is pretty amazing, especially when I show them the engines, other gear and such I keep down at my workshop. Model building and flying is a combination of flight skils, different skills like woodworking, metalworking, etc that many people dont have a clue about. I think you should be proud to be a model builder and not worry about it
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Geek hobbie

Andrew let it go..... We all know this is a GEEK hobbie ...But if we just accept ourselves for who we are... GEEKS... We all can get on with our aircraft building...
I don't remember the girls back in highschool, saying "Oooo I wonder what size of engine he has in that plane, I want to date him".... " That sure is sweet Extra 300 he owns, I hope he lets me fly it on our first date" ....
The fact that I even talk to you guys on this form, makes my wife call us all GEEKS.. She was one of the BAD, COOL kids in school....
If people have a problem with it I just say " Meh I comfortable with it "
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

All the original poster wanted to know was "how much wind is too much wind". Too much wind is more than a person can handle. There is no point in fighting a plane that is flopping around like a fish out of water. It just isn't realistic.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
personally i love flying in the wind.adds a whole different dimension.when i first started flying there were a couple of guys i used to kinda depend on to go..but even the littlest bit of wind and they would say,oh i guess we gotta cancel .being new and excited about flying i finally just one day went on my own and sure it was windy but man i had a blast.the wind has never stopped me from flying since..
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I love flying in the wind!

I remember in my early days shortly after I got my wings, approaching the CFI at the club in Brantford. I had a 1/4 scale J3 Cub with an OS 1.60 twin. I asked him if it was too windy to fly a Cub.

His answer: "Well it depends a whole lot more on the pilot than it does the plane....the plane doesn't know its windy!" Simplistic yes, but so very true!

I remember as well out at the TARMAC Club flying a .60 size Super Hotts with the wind sock standing straight out! There were about half dozen or so other fellows there who told me it was too windy to fly and they just sat around chatting. Me, I took it as a challenge and had three awsome flights with spectators! LOL! Its pretty cool watching your plane fly backwards in the wind!

You have to build your confidence and know your limitations. Oh, and having an engine that you trust and is very relyable is most benificial too!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: so i have this geek hobby...

Originally Posted by salty morgan

my question is;

how strong a wind is too strong? i know 30km/h gusting to 47 km/h si no good for flying. but at what speed do i decide to stay home? where do i draw the line.

The limit we go by for pattern competition is 12 m/s steady wind speed (about 43 kph) gusts can be up to anything. Flying in that is pretty tough, I normally dont bother going out in much more than 35 kph steady as there is not much difference between that and 43
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.