HITEC vs FUTABA - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2004, 08:20 AM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ID

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I purchased a Futaba 9C this year and so far I love it!
Feature to feature the 9C wins hands down-costs a little more but worth it far as i'm concerned. What I like the best is the triple rates, and two triple rate switches (one on each side of the Tx.) There is one triple switch just north of the right gimble that I can manipulate with my fore-finger without lifting my thumb off the gimble. Also, programming is so easy.
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
2thelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Futaba does not own Hitec
Hitec does not own Multiplex the owner of Hitec has bought Multiplex but they remain separate companies. Hitec though is the distributor for Multiplex in North America. I have purchased a Multiplex EVO 12 and have had several phone conversations with Mike Mayberry at Hitec and this is what he has told me in regard to Hitec and Multiplex relationship.

He also mentioned that though many do use the Hitec Modules in the Futaba radios this is neither recommended nor encouraged by Hitec or Futaba.

I wonder if the AMA or MAAC would view this as unauthorized radio modifications. If so would it affect the coverage of that pilot if an incident were to occur? I believe that both organizations as well as Radio Telecommunication Regulations do not allow unauthorized modification to the transmitters.

As to which radio is best I feel if there were any one radio that was better than all the rest that is the one we all would be using. They all will adequately provide control for the operation of your model. It then comes down to personal preference as to feel and features. How does the radio feel when you hold it? Does it feel comfortable? Does the radio have all the features you are looking for? Third is the price within your budget. Is it compatible with the radio equipment you are presently using?

I would not worry too much about how easy it is to program as that in itself is part of the learning curve of any new radio. At one time the Futaba instructions were so confusing books were printed and sold to make the programming easier. Many of those who purchased these radios learned the intricacies of programming these radios and after never needed to refer to the instructions. It is nothing more than memorizing the steps.

As an instructor at a fairly large club I will fly and set up including buddy boxes just about every brand of radio during the course of any given week. When I do I have the instruction book in my lap for the given radio system. I have found the instruction books have improved tremendously over the last 10 years to the point most are very thorough.

The only consideration I might have with the choice in brands is if it were your first setup and you might want to use equipment that your local club is familiar with as it will make it easier to get help with set up and instruction. Instructors feel real comfortable with radio systems they are very familiar with.

If by chance this is a upgrade in equipment and features buy then pick what pleases you after all you are the one who will own and use the thing. The only thing to consider is if you buy something no one else uses then you become the pioneer and you might not have too much experienced local help with it.

Good Luck what ever you decide:

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
I don't think you would have a with any agency when changing a module from one brand to another. I think you have a problem when modifying the rf section but that is all in the module. The box just houses the sticks, switches and the computer. If I am wrong somebody will correct me.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #14
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
The Spectra module is not legal for use in any Futaba radio and its very likely that if you put in for a claim that was related to interference and you did use a Spectra in your Futaba TX you would not be covered.

This has been hashed on RCU a lot over the years.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:14 AM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
I fly with the Ecipse 7 but I'm a basic flyer and an old grumpy retired computer programmer.

I have seen people needing help to program Futabas, Hitecs, and the Evo tutorial seemed necessary, as the manual and programming seemed confusing to some.

The Hitec Optic 6 been announced and seems reasonably priced and may be the best choice for some.

It's personal and then perhaps feature related, but "feel" "ease of programming" and even features to some degree are subjective and you have to make up your own mind. People bought the Evo's and then found out they couldn't fly their "shift" of receiver initially. I personally would be embarassed to have the "best" and not be able to fly because I didn't do my research.

I just switched a model from a Prism 7X to a Eclipse and that was easy and everything seems consistent and the Prism 7X, Eclipse 7, and Optic 6 all use the same rf modules including the Spectra. I like that consistency. Some manufacturers like to change things so you toss out the old and buy new modules, training cords, etc. (square vs round?? but no names mentioned here).
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #16
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
As the R/C World Turns

This is interesting, who owns who. :P
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.