Toledo Weak Signals Show 2016 - Are You Going? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Toledo Weak Signals Show 2016 - Are You Going?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The annual Toledo expo is less than seven weeks away. With the poor health of the Canadian dollar, I was wondering who might be going this year. My son and I will head to Dayton, Ohio, on Wednesday 30 March to take in the Air Force Museum on Thursday and then head to Toledo for the show's Friday opening. This is an annual "guys" weekend trip for us. Are you planning to attend?

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Hinckley Bill
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: William H
Radio of choice:
18 Mz
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 1
Re: Toledo Weak Signals Show 2016 - Are You Going?

It's a 6 hour drive for me from IL .....

Used to go 'religiously' every year...couldn't wait to see the latest, greatest from the major manufacturers.

That being said....
Last couple of years have truly been disappointing, but then again I'm not really into quads, FPV's, etc....and that seemed to be the overwhelming focus.

Swap shop second floor geared toward sellers and hobby stores selling 'old stock' and 'lots of quad stuff'.....again nothing wrong with it but just not for me

Models on display.....seems to be a general decrease in the number of entries, but still some beautiful aircraft

The venue........big thumbs down, food is expensive, upkeep is atrocious, and servers are surly

Real bright side is the price of gas is less than half this year than last....but time is precious so doubtful that I'll attend

That's just me
Hinckley Bill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Andrew W
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 25+

Bunch if us from Cobble Hills go every year.
We usually go for the full three days and buy lots of stuff.
This year were still going for the three days but not likely buying much.
It's a fun weekend with the guys and we all look forward to it.
Just a shame we won't have any buying power as we usually find some hidden treasures.

Poppawang is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I havent decided if I am going yet.

I've missed the last 2.

Friends that went to the last 2 say its not a good buyer's market anymore. Its not what it used to be (From what I hear)

RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

In the short time I have attended I have noticed a decrease in things of interest to me. I still have a couple of cases of fuel left from my last trip, and given the exchange rate and a seven hour drive, I will likely pass this year, as well.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

It's only a bit over an hour for us so started attending back in the 80's. Got to meet Duke Fox and others over the years. Recently we try to hit the swap shop early Friday morning. There are some deals to be had. You just have to put in more effort now.

On the main floor more of our faves have become conspicuously absent. It seemed to start with Fox and now included Fiberglass Specialties and even the staunch Boca Bearings was MIA last year. Awaiting the 2016 list to mark the tables I want to prioritize again. If you plan ahead things go more smoothly. Another hint is to bring a cloth shopping bag. You run out of pockets quickly.

One thing of historical interest was attending last year when the lights went out, (my friend spotted the big smoke blowing off the roof while walking back from the van). Only sparse lighting on a separate circuit for most of the day and I had to feel sorry for the seller of sunglasses in one of the dark patches!

Not to be political, but I have seen an increase in Pac Rim exhibitors that list their wares, just nothing to sell.....Cannot see the point in that, especially when rarely more than one behind the counter can answer questions.

Have to say the dollar sure puts a hurt on this year. That and other things means I will be limiting my spending this time to the essentials like glues, etc. Since delivery is such an issue now, wanted to look into grabbing some LiPos and A123's. However, if the prices are in line with last year that will not happen. $40 US for a 3300 4S was hard to justify even with better exchange rates.

Usually picked up a fuel order for myself and friends as even with exchange you could not beat the pricing. Again, with several lousy flying years estimate to still have enough for at least this season. Will confirm that.

NOTE: If you plan on getting fuel best pre-order. Down to two suppliers there now.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!

Last edited by Cougar429; 02-15-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave D

Noticed that last year many of the second tier vendors that are usually upstairs were moved to the main floor to fill space. Looks like even more will be moved downstairs this year. The business case for a trade show must be getting harder to justify. I am sure an internet sale would generate more sales and profit along with as much exposure. I am still going but with a $1.40 exchange rate may not not buy much.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

I will be going for the first time this year as I got an opportunity to get on a training flight with a stop at Toledo. I will be there on the Friday. I heard from different sources that it's not as great as it used to be but I'm still thinking it's going to be a good time.

I have some friends who scored some great deals at the swap shop in the past few years so will see...

Disclaimer: Having said that, this is just my personal opinion, I might be wrong, please don't quote me, have a nice day.

Last edited by Shotgun06; 02-16-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

The swap meet used to be why I went. It was insane the amount of good stuff that was available, especially vintage engines, tether cars etc.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Yes, from Manitoba!

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.