WHAT CHARGE RATE DO I USE ??????? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2004, 03:29 AM   #1
Don M.

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have 2 - 1800 mah batteries wired in parallel in order to give me 3600 mah. My question is, can I charge these at 360 mah or do I need to limit the charge rate to 180 mah.
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:17 AM   #2
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

seperate packs

I suggest you do not wire them in parallel.

Keep them as seperate packs, with their own switch harnesses and charge jacks.

Plug each of the 2 packs into their own port on the reciever
Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
Sorry to hijack this thread but why would parallel be different than plugging into the same receiver. That would seem to mean wired in parallel to me???
Charging them separately I might understand!??
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

I think he meant keep them separate so they can be charged separately.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

Ken is correct. Each of your 1800ma packs could have different internal characteristics. Treating them as truely seperate packs helps eliminate any of these "anomalies"

Also, if you DO wire both packs into a single parallel pack and something goes wrong with any one of those single cells the whole "system" will be affected. ( such as an open cell or open cennection fron one cell to another, an shorted cell, you name it.)

With the "2 pack" system you create a "backup" or redundant" system. If one pack goes south on you you will still have power. EVEN if one pack goes into a dead short condition.

On my 40% Edge 540 I run 2 receivers. Each receiver has two 1650ma packs on it. I have been using this "system" for 5 years now. It woks fine.

You may argue that "hey, now I have to charge 2 packs instead of 1".

I have not analysed it, but I'm sure your effective charge times would be very similar whether you run 2 smaller capacity packs and charge them 1 at a time ( as I do) or 1 combined pack.

It works, and it isn't any more skin off your back, only your wallet.

Hope I have been of some help.

Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Check out the information on charging batteries in Red's R/C Battery Clinic. you will find that Bob is absolutely correct about paralel charging. It is highly not recommended to charge cells this way. Take the advice given and keep them as seperate packs and charge them seperately.

Hooking them up the way Bob suggested does give you parallel operation and doubles your mAh rating but it allows you to charge them as seperate packs.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
Don M.

Actually I contacted Red and he gave me the answer (within 10 mins.) to charge at 360 but keep an eye for too much heat in 1 battery.

I can tell some of you are wondering why I did this. Well first of all it's for an onboard glow, so no big deal if it packs it in, second I had the 2 - 1800 mah batteries and nothing else to do with them, third it fit better where I wanted to put it instead of 1 larger battery & fourth this is the 3rd season I've been using it and it's worked great. I just aquired a charger capable of higher charge rates, hence the question.
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.