Public customer satisfaction comment - Great Hobbies - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #21
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter! - Japan - Hong Kong
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:15 AM   #22
Holly Smoke
RCC Apprentice

No stock.....

Great hobbies has a big catalouge and no stock. By the time you get your full order, several weeks, months later you have paid 3 or 4 shipping charges. I know, I order a huge amount of supplies. I have seen this thread before and I am sure many of you will come flying to the support of GH but this is my experience. You order from GH then they order from Tower Hobbies and we pay the middle man.
Holly Smoke is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #23
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I would just like to say this in support of Great Hobbies! I have personally delt with them for many years and have always found their service to be excellent. Yes, there is a delay at times, but they always get the supplies I need, out to me at least, in reasonable time.

Another point I very much appreciate about GH....they do all they can to support moddling in Canada. We have a very large event coming up this weekend, June 12th for the opening of our new field. A call to GH was all it took for them to give us some support for this event by providing a few goodies for pilot draws. And without even asking, they sent us a bundle of the new brochure for beginners to be given away for the event. All they asked for in return was some idea of how many people in the club used their service. Little to ask in return for what they gave us.

And I say this in support of Canadian companies charging for items in USD dollars.....You may order one or two items a month. It is not at all difficult doing the conversion to Canadian Dollars. But for a company that sells dozens and dozens of items to 73 countries world wide like my friend who owns a company in Brantford, Ontario, its very costly and time consuming to list prices in all the various curriencies as well as the paperwork involved compaired to someone having to do their own conversion maybe only occasionally.

Its kind of one of these times where your damned if you do and damned if you don't situations. You look for the best price on a certain item and complain if its a couple of dollars more than another company offers. At the same time the company is able to offer it at a couple or three dollars cheeper by keeping their costs down by selling everything in one demonination as per US dollars. But then you complain that its not listed in Canadian funds or complain that is more $$ because the cost of doing business in each demonination has to be refelected in the price of this item.

Anyway, you get the point! As has been said, this is a very competitive market and especially in Canada, a dealer has to do what it takes to keep his prices in line with other compainies or they don't stay in business very long. If it takes listing everything in US dollars to be competitive, then so be it!

I guess I added about 4 cents worth to this subject but it was worth the cost to me to get the point across....LOL Thanks for listening!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:10 AM   #24
RCC Contributor
I am: Rene B

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #25
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Fortunately or unfortunately, any business is only as good as the client's last interaction. So a business may serve 95% of their customers to their satisfaction but they will never meet everyone's need. If your first order has a problem then it's been bad 100% of the time for you personally and hearing about the other 95% of happy folks does little to make you feel better about the business.

Not much can be done on that, it's merely a fact of business and life and we all have to make decisions on where we bring our business.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #26
RCC Apprentice
I am: Simon N
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12z

Hi guys...

Its good to see some discussion on this, its a good way to understand how things are done up there.

I guess being from a small country i expected to walk into Canada, and the nearest model shop to be able to buy all i would ever want off the shelf, or a realistic version of that

In actuality, being so large seems to 'dilute' the abundance of model shops and r/c people. I found many clubs online, and a few Canadian suppliers (like GH) and figured that it would be just a whole lot easier to buy Canadian locally and in CA$

I understand a little better now from some of the posts above, thank you.

My 'in stock' item from GH was supplied without a hitch, i also ordered and paid for a set of CJ retracts which were delivered to me on my last day in Canada (phew!) which took some time, quite some money (as compared to CA$ and even worse NZ$), but im happy.

It seems that things can and do take a little longer in Canada as far as this great hobby is concerned, but just something to get used to.

I will continue to buy locally, then online, then internationally (US first given proximity) once i become a resident.

Thanks guys and take it easy...

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
V6Goose is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:27 AM   #27
RCC Apprentice
I am: Simon N
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12z

Yes Chris... thats me

I am back home in NZ as i write this after a 5 week stay with her, on a never ending quest to get my residency.

My trip needed to have some R/c in it to stay sane, as i had nothing to fly and glorious weather, so spending money was it!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
V6Goose is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.