Serious Accident! - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2004, 07:39 AM   #31
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
[/quote]Safety is a practice, not a device.[/quote]

I agree totally Jim! Its when we get complacent and don't follow a set procedure, these nasty things can happen...

One other point no one has mentioned yet, and that concerns our radios. Double check to make sure you have called up the right airplane! If not, your throttle could be reversed... I have been guilty of this one myself and it came as a big surprise when it started at full throttle!

Also, make sure the throttle is at idle! There is no need to start any gas engine any higher than that.
Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #32
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Another common error;

How many times have you seen the throttle opened to prime the engine, and then not closed again before flipping the prop?

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #33
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Excellent comments Jim.

My prayers go out to Mr.Carr for a speedy recovery. It means the world to someone who has been seriously injured to receive support and best wishes from fellow flyers. I know this from personal experience. The pain may outwardly be physical but there is more happening than just physical pain. It really does help one to know his friends are there and giving full support at times like this. Please pass these messages on to Mr. Carr from all of us here at RCC.

Our club now uses elevated starter stands. They are great for obvious reasons. Even then we encourage folks to grab someone to give them a hand getting started. And I never ever encourage anyone to go out to the field and fly alone!!!

I shudder to think of what might have happened if I had have been at the field alone when I got the prop strike from a 16" APC swinging at about 5000 rpm. I only had 16 stitches and there was a lot of blood! But it would have been much worse if there were not friends there to immediately give me help and get me out to the hospital.

I hope Mr. Carr will continue to persue this wonderful sport/hobby and that this is only a minor setback. Again our prayers for a speedy recovery and please know your friends are here and pulling for you!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #34
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Folks have to use whatever they can trust; above all common sense. The hoopla at our club that I remember was that someone asked why the hold downs were not mandatory and should they be. Some of the "verbal minority" raising some valid points, using weakness in some scale plane's tail structure just as one of several examples.

Along the same vein, you can't condemn those that use whatever devices, processes or procedures provided that the trust placed in these is understood and thought out.

Hopefully for Ron, folks won't be re-hashing this again and again. As has been stated the physical can heal much quicker than the mental thoughts. A lapse is that, a lapse, however unfortunate. The realization that it could happen to anyone will hopefully have more folks showing more caution.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #35
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
To the contrary, knowing Ron ... uh, I can't repeat verbatim what I think he would say in a family friendly forum like this but, I believe he would encourage discussing these issues.

I think we are on the same plane here (pardon the issue). Safety is not in the mechanism or methodology, it's in the practice. Your memory of "weakness in some scale plane's tail structure" can be addressed by using wing hooks but, the point is still the same. Any safety device, if used incorrectly can result in worse effect than avoiding it's use altogether. Education is the key. My personal opinion is that adding a device adds complexity to an already complex situation.
It's important to know know your limitations. I think Kevin, although he takes the other side of the tie-down argument, said it best; "if the routine is interrupted, I pack it in for the day". I don't normally pack it in for the day but, if I'm feeling distracted, frustrated or whatever, or if it just doesn't feel right, I shut down and take time to asses. Yes, I often get harassed for this ( the inevitable "are you flying or just socializing today?" questions ) but I just sit, and relax until my concentration is "on" and don't let anyone rush me into flying for their sake ... Long winded but, I do think this step is important.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #36
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

I too am PRO Tie Downs, I have been using them for years and have a set proceeder that I do not deviant from for starting.

I also admit that when I get into smaller aircraft such as funfly say 40 size and below I will use the hold and start method.

Nothing scares me more then seeing someone try to hold and start a larger aircraft......

Just my 2 cents on this one ..... besides I had to be different than Jimmy Mc.
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #37
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Aciidents do happen. Heck, I think I am a very safe person (mainly due to my profession) and I still notice at times, I am doing something that could (if the wrong things happen at the same time) be potentially very dangerous. Luckily we usually catch these well before the accident happens... but not allways.

I dont think it matters what type of restraint you use (tie down OR human being). I personally stilllike tohave one of my friends hang on to my plane, someone I know and trust and knows my commands (hand signals) and what my patterns are. Someone who isnt going to let go prematurely, etc. But if you like a tie down, use it. As long as you use something.

The only planes I will start solo now are my 1/2A's and thats it. I used to start my 40's solo but since I dont fly alone anymore its not necessary.

You never think it can happen - but it can. Accidents will happen sometimes no matter how carefull you are, we just have to minimise every possible chance.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #38
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
I was shocked to hear about Ron's accident! Please wish him a speedy recovery from me. Everytime I think about the accident I just shiver!Many of us have been "bitten" but this is tragic. Well this certainly has us all thinking and talking about safety, and that's good. So, I've been going over my start routine to see where improvements can be made and I'm going to make changes and I hope you guys are doing the same. Best bet is a flying buddy holding on. Remember, our buddy has our safety in mind too. Can we send Ron a card or is there something else we can do for him?? Jim, you know him good, what do you think?

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #39
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

I was just thinking of this again - a number of years ago I witnessed my father allmost lose 4 fingers (they were allmost severed, but a surgeon in Sudbury saved them allthough he has no feeling and limited motion now, allmost 10 years after) in a table saw accident.

My point is, to this day, each and every day I go to work, I think to myself each and every time I use the saw (many times per day) what CAN happen if I let my judgement lapse and my guard down. Its not being worried or frightened what can happen, but more being aware of what I am doing constantly.

This exact same methodical approach is what we all need to do when starting and running our engines. Each and every time, untill it becomes second nature. Eventually it is something that you just do automatically - to me, its like putting on my seatbelt when I get into a vehicle, something I dont even realise I am doing.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #40
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Three things make me ponder.........

1) At what point does a motor require a glove?
2) How many people as a general show of replies have a safety kit in their car and/or ice packs in case of the injury Ron Carr received?
3) How many people fly alone with no assistance whatsoever? I don't.

If you answer number 2 positively, I'll bet you are a minority. We have a kit at our field and I have one in my van, but nothing to administer first aid to the extent of the injury Ron received.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.