Toronto RCFC Combat Demo..A HOOT ! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Combat Discuss Aerial Combat.

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2004, 05:40 AM   #1
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9
Toronto RCFC Combat Demo..A HOOT !

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,
Was a great day flying on Saturday.
The FunFly at the Radio Control Flying Club of Toronto.
Around 10 scale combat flyers showed up to strut (pun intended, we flew WW1 !) 'our stuff'.
Perfect weather. GREAT combat venue. Fantastic field/club members.
We got 3 'time slots' on a very busy flying day. I would say there was on average at least 3-4 planes flying...ALL day long. A great event.
First Slot: WW2, 7 planes up. 4 cuts in a wide open 'tactical' combat box. No midairs. (we got close a few times !) I refuse to brag about my lucky 'one pass/two cuts' nor 'my streamer left' !!! hehehe
Second Slot: WW1 ! ! ! Unfortunatly 'DeadEyes's coro Fokker D-7 got 'run over' by a .46 balsa pattern plane on the D-7's trim flight. ( the only time a combat plane flys straight and level...!) Mike will have his great flying D-7 back in the air within 1hr of 'bench time'. The pattern plane ? All I can say is: "if it does fly won't be doing 'verticals' as good as before !" hehehe
So there was another D-7 against an S.E.5 and a B.E.2.
VERY REALISTIC. Well, as far as my imagination can take me.
Even performing planes. Could not loop from level flight. It ws 'attack from above' and 'conserve height/energy'. Very 'tight' and manouverable.
They handled the 15kt wind gusts with ease.
Will be GREAT with 7-8 planes up... I've got two on the bench....
Third Slot: WW2 combat with 'Ground Attack'. Ballon Bust. Six, 4ft high 'needle balloons', mid field. The combat degenerated into 'getting the balloons' (streamers were still getting cut...)
Half the balloons stood standing.

Another great time for me, flying with my combat buddies.
See you guys...NEXT TIME !

Take care, have fun,
Maac 6437
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

Total Props: 0
Hey CrossCheck,
That was certainly something wasn't it? And that WW1 stuff is something else too. I wonder how many midairs there will be when we have 8 planes up! I certainly look forward to this years "Blitz over London" where I think we'll have our first official WW1 competition.

See you in Oakville!
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Originally Posted by Buzz
Hey CrossCheck,
That was certainly something wasn't it? And that WW1 stuff is something else too.
You are so right about that Buzz! My first round of WWI combat was thrilling. I have never before felt so much like I was actually "Dogfighting" rather than just flying into a scrum and hoping to come out with a streamer.

The WWI planes fly so beautifully slowly and scale like, and with the addition of rudder, the maneuvers... wing overs, retournment or chandaiile... what ever you want to call 'em, create an amazingly realistic sense of aerial combat.

At the speeds we were flying, I got the sense that you really had the opportunity to assess your enemy and formulate a tactical plan of attack... and the tight maneuvers can turn the hunter in to the hunted in no time

Another aspect of the slow speed and graceful maneuvers is that the combat took place in an even more confined area and much lower to the ground... unlike the potentially endless turn fights in 1/12 scale WWII, after only a few of turns in WWI you have to break off due to loss of E and start your spiral climb to regain advantage.

I sure hope WWI combat catches on. I think it is the closest R/C has come to true dogfighting, and it is a real energy fight... so much so that the energy fighting tactics and dicta of the Greats of the Great War... like Mannock, Barker, Bolke, Immelman, Rickenbaker, Nunguyser, Fonc and all the rest of 'em... might actually be applicable and worth looking over again
Dave "SideSlip" Plank
MAAC# 64211
Humber Valley RC Flyers
Sideslip is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.