begin airplane - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2004, 09:25 PM   #11
Steve Sanderson
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve S

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
sorry guys I sometimes get definesive. I just posted the first post to let everyone know how I did because I was exicted, ijust do not care to be picked apart.
Steve Sanderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Derrick R

Steve, welcome to the world of RC Glow powered airplanes! One word.....addictive.

You are very fortunate to have your own field and I am envious. I have a friend who is lucky enough to own quite a bit of property and I find it quite the break sometimes to head up to his place and get a few flights in outside of the club atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the benefits of a club and MAAC membership but I also don't mind having the odd flight in a non MAAC approved flying field, although lately I find myself spending more time flying in the park behind my house..... (OMG, somebody call the MAAC police!! ) Gotta love those GWS park flyers!

You also have to keep a mind out of some of the online posters. Some guys have more posts/time online than actual flights.....when my post counts start to exceed my flights then I'll be out flying.....

Just keep the enthusiasm up, keep safe, and above all enjoy yourself as it is supposed to be a hobby.
MAAC #41076
Derrick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Steve my posts were not directed at you personally but at a situation that could happen in a club atmosphere. We envy you the freedom that your situation provides. Most of us have to share a field with many other members. I agree you having use of a private site enables you to operate as you have stated with relative safety. A crowded site on the other hand is a different situation and I guess that is the situation I have been concerned with.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #14
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
In the last week I had the privledge of starting off two brand new pilots in the wonderful world of RC flying. Both students came out to the field with NexStar trainers. These are wonderful packages, so complete and setup, they fly great from the very first flight.

As an instructor who wants to see my students excell and thouroughly enjoy the RC experience, I sit down first thing and have a 20 minute discussion with each new pilot, explaining the program and the learning process with them. They obviously want to learn to fly, they are there with brand new equipment and the enthusiasm to go and they have to be very trusting to let this person whom they didn't know at all the first time, to let them take up their pride and joy hoping to see it come back safely!

As part of that trust, I want to assure my students that they will learn to fly and even more importantly, to do it safely!!!!

This is just my personal opinion and not meant to take anything away from anyone else or cause insult or put down. But I explained the situation to each student after test flying these brand new NexStars that the plane will fly easier especially in a bit of wind WITHOUT the fixed flaps. I showed them the difference by first flying one with the flaps in the bit of wind we had, then a flight without the flaps. Much more stable without in my opinion.

As for the autopilot, I opted to ask each student to disconnect it as I wanted them to get the real feel of the sticks and the reaction of the plane with out this flying aid and I personally feel, in my opinion only, the student will progress faster with out it and learn to fly better and more precise!

If however I see a pronunced difficulty with the pilot not being able to maintain control stability I would have no difficulty in connecting up the autopilot and letting the student settle down and find joy in not having to continueally fight the plane to keep control. My feelings however and again, just my opinion, this would only be a temporary feature until the student gained his confidence and learned to fanese the sticks to maintain control. My personal feeling is that the student should be able to fly his plane for his wings test, doing the required manovers without the aid of the autopilot! But then again, this is not written in stone! It depends greatly on the overall ability of the pilot. Here is a quick example:

I instructed an older gentleman at my club in northern Ontario. For the better part of two years, I use every trick I could think of to help him get his wings, but he just couldn't get the hang of keeping his wings perfectly level on the landing approach and would flub it almost every time. He ordered a Futaba Autopilot from Great Hobbies and asked me to help him set it up which I did! We took the plane out and set up the auto aid and gave it a try. I talked him through an approach as I had done a hundred times or more but this time the wings stayed level, power down, flaired and did a perfect landing. Each alternate flight was the same. He did it! I gave him his wings and he was so happy it brought tears to my eyes. For this man this was a wonderful device. He only goes out on Sundays for perhaps 1 or 2 flights and there are always other pilots and instructors there to assist if he needs it. So I had no reservations about this fine gentleman having his wings and enjoying himself immensely!

But my preference is for a student to learn to fly honestly and precisely with the expectations of moving on up to bigger and better planes learning aerobatics and burning holes in the sky like the rest of us. I feel that the autopilot should only be used in exceptional cases as listed above for training or at least just as an aid in the early stages of training but that his wings test should be done with out it exceipt in those rare exceptional cases. MHO only!!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #15
RCC Contributor

I don't have any problems at all with that approach. A happy ending for all concerned.
Never take life seriously -- nobody gets out alive
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ateeq .

NexSTAR Trainer

Hey Guys I Just Bought The NexSTAR Package And It Is My First Plane. I Have Flew On The Simulator A Number Of Times And Took Off The Stabilizer And Then Got Use To It. I Will Be Going To My Club Soon And It Will Be My First Flight .

But I don't Know If I Should Start Off With The Stabilizer On Or Just Leave It Off? Could Someone Please Tell Me What I Should Do.
Ateeq4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor

Follow the suggestions of the instructor who you will be going up with ....

If no instructor, then, if it was me, I would go with the stabiliser on, and a lot of sacrifices to the RC gods.

if only...
gus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #18
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I have no problems with Gary's approach. While I agree flight stabilization systems (I have a FMS Co-Pilot myself) should be like training wheels, and come off eventually, in certain rare cases it makes sense to leave them on.

Hey, I'm not allowed to drive without glasses, either! I don't see them being discarded in the near future.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #19
RCC Contributor

Get as many hrs on the sim as you can cram in -- even if you are flying regularly. If you are trying to teach yourself, keep the AFS active & keep the speed brakes on the plane. If you have an instructor & buddy box, he probably won't want either the AFS or speed brakes -- do as he suggests.

Have fun & save your money -- you will be spending it in large chunks for the next 50 yrs.
Never take life seriously -- nobody gets out alive
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #20
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

We had a couple of Nexstars with the stabalizers on and we recommended he take the off right away. The plane flew almost by itself when equiped. The student looked real stable, but as soon as he took them off, it was learning all over again. As long as your with an instructor on a BB, we recommend not using them to our new students.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.