Newbie needs input - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2004, 11:54 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Newbie needs input

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My son and i are looking at getting into the hobby and we are looking at 2 setups.

1)Purchase a Hobbico Nexstar

2)Sig LT-40 ARF,OS .46 AX Engine and a 6 channel Futaba radio

I am leaning towards #2 but i could use some input on selecting a radio.I want it to be a Futaba because that is what are instructor will have.Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
Flipper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:30 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

I learned with an LT40 and a 46FX... good combination, stable flyer nothing wrong with it although you will find that the main gear develops a bit of a "squat" after a few hard landings... not a big deal, just bend 'em back. The LT40 is also quite robust... I rebuilt mine twice (looked like a banana it was so crooked...still flew...looked funny, but it flew!)... before finally... "retiring" it in spectacular fashion!

Can't help you with radios though...I use Airtronics, but getting something your instructor can buddy with is a good idea.

BTW, whereabouts in Yukon? I spent(did?) time in Ross River and Faro... been outside for 20 yrs though!
CP140 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

#2 might be pricier. Both are fine setups. The Nexstar comes with a computer simulator as well so lots of bang for the buck.

Which 6 channel radio were you considering and more important, what is your budget?

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Maqsood

To keep things simpler, I would suggest Nexstar, Nice looking and flying trainer. It comes with a Futaba Radio, OS 46FX and as Nuker Said, a simulator as well. Later on, you can still use the flight pack and engine on another plane.

You can actually open the box at the field and fly it after 30 minutes of work.
MAAC # 59977
IMAC # 4177

My Website
My Photo gallery
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I learned on a Kadet LT-40 with a 46 FX and a 6 channel Futaba radio system. I still fly it more than all my other planes combined, and give intro flights to interested parties using it. I have lawn darted it really seriously twice and have rebuilt it it to lesser degrees several times due to hard landings and such. Obviouly I rate it highly.

That being said, I kinda wish the Nexstar had been available when I started. Getting the simulator with it is a really big plus, allowing you to get plenty of stick time before you go to the field. We have a chap who showed up with a Nexstar, wanting to learn to fly and he was able to land on his second flight due to all the sim time he had put in. I must have had 15 or twenty flights before I had the nerve to try a real landing. (and it wasn't that pretty, either)

Also I am quite intrigued by the wing cuffs and speed brakes the Nexstar has, allowing you to tailor the performance of the plane as your proficiency improves. I have not flown one, but would really like to try it.

My heart says LT-40, but my head says the Nexstar is a great choice.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I had the privledge to test fly two NexStar 40's at our training session last Thursday. All I can say is that for the price and the completeness of this plain, engine and Futaba radio system complete.....I am very very impressed.

Everything is installed and factory tested. Even the engine is completedly setup and ready to go. I primed up the engine, gave it one flip and it started right up and ran perfectly. No fuss, no hastle!!!

Out at the flightline and onto the field, full throttle and she beautifully lifted off and flew absolutely perfectly! It is very stable in the air. Line up with the center line of the runway, cut the throttle and brought her in for a greaser landing. Awsome airplane!!!!

This is the most complete setup I have ever seen. The plane comes ready to fly. It is a futaba radio system and an OS engine! It comes with an AutoPilot already installed. It also comes with a flight simulator that uses the Futaba radio so the student gets the feel of his own radio.

And the best part is the price. My student told me he purchased this plane package from Hobby Hobby in Mississagua and with tax he only paid around $530.00 for everything!

Now that is an awsome deal for an increadably flying trainer package! And one more thing. It looks like a nice airplane, not a square box like some trainers. I can't see that anyone could go wrong with this plane!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
RCC Contributor

Nexstar -- do it -- it works.
Never take life seriously -- nobody gets out alive
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Dr Wogz
RCC Noob

I would say, go #1.

For the completeness, and the added 'flight sim' is a great deal. Also, in time you will get a new plane (more advanced). And soon both you and your son will each want his own radio & plane.

Plan to buy the next plane, and the computerized radio then.. You will then have two complete flyign planes, one for each of you!
"Poutine is not an epoxy substitute.
Although tasty and sticky, is not fuel proof"
Dr Wogz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #9
RCC Contributor

Seeing as the original post was made in early June, I'm assuming you've already made a decission and purchased your plane.... what did you go with and are you happy with it so far? Any comments you may want to pass on to other beginners? We've had a couple guys out at our field in the past couple of days asking what they should buy... Nexstar being one of their options too.
Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
RCC Noob

Well i guess its about time i post some info on what we bought,been busy with work and the family.My son and i purchased a used setup from a coworker of mine.He bought this setup but never flew it,below is a list of what we purchased for a total of $300.00

Kadet LT-40 (KIT)
GMS .47
Older Futaba conquest 4ch
Electric starter
Electric fuel pump
Rechargeable glow driver
Misc tools
Misc spare parts
field box
Spare props
Field battery

I have to say that my son and i are having a blast with this setup.We joined the local club in July and after 18 flights with an instructor i soloed.My son is also in the process of learning with an instructor.We have a total of about 50 flights on the plane and we head to the field whenever we get the chance.After my son gets his wings we hope to try out the skis this winter and the floats next summer.

Thanks to all those that replied to our post.CP140 we live in Whitehorse,What brought you to the land of the midnight sun?I would recommend this plane to anyone looking for a trainer.The nexstar was the plane we were going to purchase from great hobbies,but this deal came up.One thing i like about the nexstar is the flight sim,I purchased real flight G2 and it has helped me and my son.Already looking at purchasing a second plane this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copy_of_plane_004.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	4188  
Flipper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.