Another student night come and gone - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #11
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Like I said -- sounds interesting. I will talk the TTI over with our other instructors & see if we want to consider implementing this approach. I will be our CFI next year, so I am going to think hard about this.
Never take life seriously -- nobody gets out alive
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:53 AM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

I like the idea of having insturctors in training. I asked at our meeting a couple of months ago who would be interesting in instructing and I got 7 people who said they were previous instructors and would be able to commit time to doing it for this year. So far with only 4 instruction nights having taken place only 2 other than myself have come out! One fellow cancelled for the whole year before we even got started and two others say they are busy on the days we instruct. Its sorta like pulling hens teeth to have folks getting seriously involved. I guess they like being called an instructor but its another thing to actually do it!

We have at least 8 students this year so far and things will have to change if they all are to receive adaquate training. Its a hard situation to deal with as this is a volunteer position but the growth of our club depends on it.

I have also done something sort of like you have done. I had a pilot who is not an instructor but is willing to help who was appointed as a "Ground Chief" He will check out the planes, see that the range checks have been done, help students get their planes started and out to the flight line as another student finishes his flight. This should really help keep things moving well during training sessions. But as I said earlier, with only one instructor and five students, the students are getting bored sitting for a long time while I am constantly running my buns off for the 4 hours of training or so till dark. I will have to try to come up with some incentive to get more instructors or get the ones who say they want to instruct movated to get out on the instruction nights.

This is a great club and I do enjoy it so much. There are a lot of good guys who do all they can for the club, but if this instructor situation doesn't change soon, I can see myself getting burned out and the students losing interest fairily quickly! Lets hope we can get this moving properly!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
Hey Gary,

well you could have your students join Ajax

Seriously though the person who advised you that they didn't have the time before the season started probably did you the biggest favour. Lots of people volunteer who honestly just don't have the time and feel pressured so show up for a bit then disappear.

As for you getting burned out, yup that is a danger. When we have 4 instructors on a Saturday and we fly for 4 hours, most of the instructors tend not to stick around much longer so they can get a break.

We certainly have fun while doing it but I've noticed that most are tired afterwards.

Maybe setting up a schedule with the folks who volunteered so that at least there are a few more on student times? We're lucky in that we have enough instructors for the students but with a 4 hour training window on Saturday, enough is not enough, if you know what I mean.

Best of luck to your program

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.