Need help with tuning a OS .60 FP engine! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Need help with tuning a OS .60 FP engine!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought this engine last year at a swap meet wit my trainer. IT had a leak in the carb and I took it to Hobby Hobby they fixed it all up. Ever since then it had been running amazingly I flew all winter with it starting very nice in the winter and running great. I bought a H9 Pizazz from these boards, I decided I wanted the extra power for pull outs while hovering and such. I put it in the pizazz (my .60 engine) and it was running amazing. I could hover all day around 1/2 throttle and it had amazing pull out and unlimited vertical. I had was getting low on my cool power 10% and I decided to put some more cool power 10% in the bottle so I wouldn';t have to carry the 2 bottles, i filled up my one bottle and took it to the field this was about 1 month ago maybe a bit more. Ever since then It has been running like crud. I think the fuel I mixed was bad fuel but it runs of my .25 fp perfect and my t-maxx perfect. I bought some Omega 10% to use on the .60 as it didn't seem to run any good off the cool power and it has been running better not dead sticking but it will hover at just over 3/4 throttle now, I have tunned the high end needle vavle but it dosen;t seem to be peaking out like it used to. And it seems to be very rich so i lean out the high end and it won;t run very good getting really hot and such. I think the tuning is in needed in the low end but not sure. Can someone please help me did I ruin my engine by running the mixed cool power, it was 10% cool power mixed with more 10% cool power so i didn' t think it would matter.
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Have you tried to change your glow plug? They do wear out eventually.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Take a few moments and go over you engine and make sure everything is tight and screwed down securily. Check the head bolts, back plate, carb etc etc. Over time its amazing how things can loosen up and if the screws are even a bit lose it can cause problems with your engine.

If you can access your low end needle with the plane idling keeping your fingers out of the way, adjust it in a little bit by little bit and if its out at all you will hear the rpm pick up as it comes into tune! If you turn it in too much you will hear the engine start to sputter so back it off slightly until it purrs again. Only use small adjustments at a time until it has the best peek rpm at idle!

Another way of doing this is to pinch off the fuel line while the engine is idling. If it goes more than 10 seconds, its too rich so turn in the low end needle about 1/8" only and try it again. You may have to do this a few times to get it right.

If the engine dies quickly say within 4 seconds, then its too lean so back the needle out 1/8" until it is within 5 - 8 seconds before it dies then it will be set fairly close!

Other than these things, check your fuel tank and lines for leaks or pinholes! Also if you see bubbles in the fuel line its an indication of foaming in the tank. You may have to repack the tank surroundings with foam to help isolate it from the engine vibration!

Please let us know if you are able to solve the problem. Other than these things, you may have to check out the piston and sleve for scratches which will greatly rob your engine of power! Just one grain of sand can scratch the piston and sleve but hopefully its one of the other things that is causing your power loss!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #4
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
I agree with Gary. Check the engine for leaks and put a new plug in. A good OS plug don't cheap out a get a lesser expensive one. If you have a fuel filter in the line blow it out or change it all together. Fuel might be bad but not likely if you other engine will run with it. Let us know how you make out.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

do you think a a3 os glow plug would be better then a os #8 and thanks everyone i'll check all my stuff on my engine!
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Maqsood

OS A3 is NOT better than the #8.

OS#8 is THE BEST plug all round on 2 strokes.
MAAC # 59977
IMAC # 4177

My Website
My Photo gallery
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.