Question for the guys on buddy boxes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Question for the guys on buddy boxes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm just wondering, what is the most important things an instructor can do or say to you while you're learning?
What is the most important negative thing that an instructor can do or say?
I'm looking for input so I can help the best way that I can
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Newbie flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brad B

Total Props: 0
I would say the most important thing is to comment about your recovery in a bad situation. The worst thing, beside's "Oh S*%#!" would be to put you down for making a mistake. We are learning and should be given the chance to make mistakes and recover from them ourselves.

Hope that helps.
I tried flying electric but the cord kept coming unplugged!
Newbie flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Everyone is different but I would think that the best thing to tell them is simply have fun and try to control the plane and let them know that you will recover the plane if you feel it is necessary.

There is soooo much happening that it is better, in a way, to allow them to experiment (at a safe altitude and location) to get basic control of the plane and to learn when left is right and right is left. Once the flight is done you can offer suggestions so that they can concentrate on what you are saying rather than on you and flying the plane.

Once the student becomes reasonably comfortable flying the plane (no landings yet) then you could offer quick suggestions or comments during the flight.

Essentially, I think that in the early stages of learning control that the less they have to think about, the better.
RCHolic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
As a long time Instructor, allow me to chime in whith what's worked for me in the past (based on student feedback).

A large word for breaking things down into simpler pieces, teaching them separately and, once mastered, piecing them back together, emphasizing that they're not learning anything new, just how to assemble the pieces they do know.

Adaptive learning.
Observe your student. Everyone is different, some learn by understanding the physics, others prefer routine, still others are experiential. The visual experiential must see it demonstrated to understand, others are kinesthetic learners and must experience the "feel". Some tricks I use to understand the student include listening.
If they use terms like "I see..." or "that looks.." demonstrate things, use models, draw pictures.
If they use terms like "Sounds good..." or "I hear you", explain in detail, tell stories, use parables, synonyms...
You get the idea.

Also, for kinesthetic learners, give Clarence Ragland's technique a try I was skeptical but Clarence was kind enough to volunteer to visit oru club and both demonstrate as well as train a few of us on his technique. I find it works, and works very well.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor

dont fall in love with your first plane?????????????????
simcoeflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
When first starting out a new student, try to keep in mind that you know what your talking about but this is all new to the student. Talk in simple terms so he know exactly what you want and what to expect.

I tell the student: "You have control" or "I have control" and also let him know that you are there to help him learn to fly and to do it safely so listening to the instructor is important especially at these early stages.

Don't try too hard to figure out what the plane is doing but rather listen to the instructions your instructor gives you. At this early stage things will be very repetitious to help the student program his brain to do things automatically. Each student will progress at his/her own speed and its also important for the instructor to recognize what this speed is and not push the student beyond what they can absorb.

I like to keep the first few flights at about 6 to 8 minutes only so the student doesn't become too strained while trying to absorb going in several directions all at once. Talk about the flight afterwards, keeping it positive and not going into information overload. You will be able to see what each individual student is able to comprehend so go at their pace and keep it fun and enjoyable!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

Talk to the student as they are learning... eg" Little right aileron, keep the nose up, start your turn, give it more throttle etc"

Offer constructive criticism and point out areas where improvement is needed..."Your turns are much smoother now, but you need to remember to..."

Some of the best instructors, I found, were pattern flyers. They are used to "calling" for other pilots.
CP140 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Teaching a new student

I have taught allot of guys to fly and one of the first thing I teach them is to be gentle on the control sticks and how much movement is required to make a turn. I have them point their first finger in front of their eyes and tell them to look at the edge of their finger nail now you see a down pointing C . Have them follow the arc of the nail , this way teaches them to add up into aileron movements and shows that they need very little stick movements to make a turn. Also teach them to correct a turn by using opposite aileron to straighten the plane
Wise Guy
Sun Parlor R/C club
Windsor Ont
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
First thing I do as an instructor is get rid of " Left, Right , Up and Down "!

I find this confuses most students.

When I teach I always stand of the students Right hand side closest to the elevator and aileron ( Mode 2 anyway ).

I then use "Your Way, My Way, Pull and Push" this is what I want them to do with the stick.

This seems to work for everyone I have taught, including my 8 year old son who I now have shooting approaches.

I also teach them "Low Wing" for when the aircraft is coming towards them ...... To level off aircraft fo towards the low wing, again it works.

I believe in the topic it mentioned Buddy Boxes.

Originally I hated them, especially when you had to set it up for different airplanes, to much D^%&%^*^ around to be done to get it right.

Since I started using the 783 and 1083 JR , I plug in the Buddy box center the trims and away we go!

If you can get a buddy box it is definetly the way to go in my opinion .....Now.
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:00 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Good information, how about some of you guys that are being trained, now's your time to share some frustrations ! Let us have it
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.